Thursday 10 November 2016

Play: Orca

A beacon of light in a dreary week - the Man with the Hat took Let's Do London - for less! out last night! And I was so looking forward to being in the company of friends - so different from the awful office environment I have now. Really, I dread going there. Anyway, the venue was Southwark Playhouse, and I booked soon as I knew about it.

My days in Guildford are now fixed at Mon-Wed, so I'd just come back from there. Complete with a limp, purely from the sheer amount of driving I've been having to do. It's not the sitting in traffic jams.. it's the crawling through them, your leg tensed all the time on the accelerator. I pulled something, or strained something - anyway, I did get back in good time, although I was slightly delayed in leaving the flat, as I was applying for another job whose ad had just come through. Limped carefully to the bus stop, sat (gratefully) while waiting for the bus, managed to get a downstairs seat. Mind you, when we came to Elephant & Castle, I elected to get off at the stop before the roundabout, rather than wait as we crawled through it - it always takes five minutes, and time was getting tight. Even with the limp, I made it around before the bus did - indeed, there was still no sign of it as I was crossing the road!

Bravely, I limped on to the theatre - which didn't have its outside lights on, unnervingly. Went in, was immediately met by the Man with the (psychic?) hat, who informed me that I was the last to arrive. He showed me down the back to where the others were - suggested I get a drink, as the house wasn't open yet, but honestly, the trip back to the bar seemed like way too much work, and I passed.

The play was Orca, and it was showing in "The Little". Which was sold out, it seemed. Which made it rather a pity that the house opened late on this occasion, as everyone was crowded into the lobby, forming two long queues - one from the lobby proper, one from the bar. They finally let us in, and we sat where we could - seating is on upholstered benches, on three sides. Underfoot, as we entered, we crunched over gravel and pebbles - a very effective way of creating a beach feel, and as someone later remarked, very hard to clear up afterwards..

'Tis set in a small, Scottish fishing village, and in the first scene, we meet two red-headed sisters, the younger of whom is preparing for a dance that night, while her older sister, disdaining the whole thing, tries in vain to read a book. Giving up in the end, she swaps riddles with her sister. And we get some masterful writing - indeed, the whole thing sounds like a fairytale, overlaid with a constant soundtrack of an ominous drone, suggestive of the orca that haunts the village, scaring away the fish that are their livelihood.

However, it's a dark tale, presided over by the authoritative figure of Aden Gillett, who plays a village elder called "The Father". It's an old tale, but a powerful one, stunningly acted. The girls' missing mother, as well as certain occurrences later, and the girls' father's reaction at the end (bending over backwards in a silent scream as he realises what's really going on) all add to the unearthly feel of the piece. Highly recommended - very high standard of acting and writing, typical of this venue. Runs until 26th.

Afterwards, we repaired to the bar, ably shepherded by the Man with the Hat, as ever. And as a newcomer to the group said, you'd know who the group organiser is.. Well yes, it's a masterclass in organisation. And yes, it was great to have some friendly conversation. Finally, at the end of the night, there were only three of us left, as often happens - not the Man with the Hat though, who by this stage had shepherded himself home.

I'm not going to the Free Comedy in Hammersmith tonight - have cancelled with the various groups, quite simply because my leg is still killing me to put weight on it. You never know, I might go again one day. Tomorrow, London Dramatic Arts are off to see King Lear at the Barbican. Haven't seen that since I studied it in school. Well, I'm off to see it too - cheaper, and sat in the very back row! Hopefully, with the maze that the Barbican is, it'll be fairly easy to avoid them.

And I did have something to do on Saturday - or rather, the Man with the Hat did, until hardly anyone booked, so he cancelled! Bah humbug. Might go to the Lord Mayor's show, which is on that day. Or perhaps a film. 


No comments:

Post a Comment