Sunday 16 October 2016

Musical: A Man of Good Hope

At pretty much the last minute, London Dramatic Arts announced tickets for last night, for a performance of A Man of Good Hope, at the Young Vic - again. And given that all I'd booked was a free ghost walk - well, that was a surmountable obstacle. So I booked this instead.

They promised rain, so I dressed for it - didn't hurry out though, given the organiser's habit of arriving late: and I didn't want the same thing to happen as last time, where I was the first to arrive, and couldn't find a table - and even if I had, wouldn't have been able to order food for fear of losing the table, and would have had nowhere to eat it without a table. So I needed someone else there to help me get - and mind - a table, see.

Anyway, I was doing my film list for today. Would have gone a bit further with it, but that time was passing, and I figured I'd better move. Sure enough, it was lashing down as I left - made my way to catch the bus, but after a while, with no sign of the bus coming, I figured I'd better take the train instead. Arrived at the Young Vic and made my way upstairs, where I found the organiser - she'd been late again (unsurprisingly), but had mentioned it on the Meetup page (surprisingly). The other two were trying to get the bus and had been delayed - in the event, one made it, the other didn't. Traffic is always heavier in the rain, of course. But guess what? The Young Vic was so busy - on a Saturday night, yet - that she hadn't been able to get a table. Hmph. So when we three had gathered, we went straight in - I was starving, and could have made good work of their tapas, but never mind.

Good seats, as normal with this group:


No readmission, and you can see why - the actors come on from the aisles. The play is based on the true story of a young Somali boy, orphaned by the militia, almost every member of his family killed, who ends up working for an operation in Ethiopia, then wends his way down to South Africa, hearing that's where the money is to be made - hence the title.

Surprise, surprise - it's a musical! Well, that's what I'd call it - it's full of music, starting with an orchestra of xylophones at each side, and some really beautiful singing. The whole thing is permeated with singing of the region - or tribe - in which the story is currently set. In my opinion, the music gets better as they head south - but it's all funky. You could see there were bits where they would have welcomed us clapping along - sadly, because no-one did (well, I did, quietly). An Irish audience would have, I can tell you..

And what a story. Another tale of the plight of the refugees, which should shame anyone who thinks badly of them. Each border is represented by a door - some have to be opened, some they can step through, as they continue their journey. A terrific, entertaining, and tense show, as we wonder what the outcome will be - and a fantastic cast. Hugely recommended - runs until 12th, Monday to Saturday with two shows on Saturdays. Booking recommended.

At the interval, I went to the bar with my companion - who disappeared while I was queueing, and whom I couldn't find after. The same was to happen when the show ended - no sign of either her or the organiser, although I scoured the place for them. My phone reception was acting up, which didn't help. So, after several minutes of this, I gave up and left. Sitting at the bus stop, waiting for a bus that never did come - someone beside me said the #77 had developed a habit of not coming - my reception came back, and I left a message on the page to the effect that I hadn't been able to find them, and was leaving.

Ended up taking the train again, with no sign of the bus - and the entertainment of a traffic light that pretty much stayed stuck on red, to the frustration of the drivers - someone said it had been like that all week. It wasn't until I got home that I got a text from the organiser, saying they were on the sofa by the terrace. Ah now. Of course it was too late by then for me to join them, and it was a shame that my phone had been playing up, so I couldn't communicate properly. But it goes to show - had the organiser been the Man with the Hat, I can guarantee two things: 1. He wouldn't have been caught out beforehand, he'd either have booked a table or suggested we just go straight in - any fool could have predicted how busy it'd be. And 2. He would've made damn sure he was findable at the interval, and afterwards. Some Meetups are better than others, eh? I've always said so.

Right, well, it took till this afternoon, but I finished the film list! Tan-taraa.. how long is it since I finished one in time? Interesting thing, when I did finish - top of the list was a Japanese film called Your Name, showing today in the Ritzy only. Well, with such a high rating, and only one showing today, I thought I'd better check the website to see whether they were sold out. Got an interesting message:

Heh. Ok then - I continued down the list. Several, part of the BFI Film Festival, which ends today, were sold out - and so it was that I finally came down to Hell or High Water. O HELL YEAH! Been dying to see this tale of two brothers who decide to rob the bank that's foreclosed on the family farm. Jeff Bridges plays the sheriff. Now, when I wanted to see this before, the problem was it was only showing at ridiculous times - and again, I see that Vue Shepherd's Bush is only showing it at 11pm. However, whaddya know, Cineworld Chelsea is showing it at 8:30. So I've booked (cheaper to do that with Cineworld) - now, they don't have a car park, and I doubt I'd get onstreet parking easily. But hey, I can take any of three different buses from the end of the road, and get there in about 15 minutes. Fantastic - an easy day, for once. Really looking forward to that.

Tomorrow, failing better offers, I'm off to another of those over-advertised free comedy nights in Hammersmith - so I've booked with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Farringdon: London Live Comedy: London Art, Comedy and Culture Lovers (who, for once, aren't charging extra for booking): and London for a Tenner or Less. Who will probably cancel the listing halfway through the event - hilarious when you see they've done that, and you're actually at the "cancelled" event..

No comments:

Post a Comment