Sunday 30 October 2016

Guided Tour: Billingsgate Roman House & Baths

Ah, good stuff - a double dose of the Man with the Hat was just what I needed this weekend, at the centre of a job-seeking storm! So, today he was taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Billingsgate Roman House & Baths - initially at 12:30, which I booked, but when that sold out, he scheduled one at 2, and offered us the chance to switch to that if we wanted. Splendid, a bit of a lie-in, and I switched. He subsequently scheduled one at 3 as well.. popular, these.

Well, isn't it lovely to have a teeny amount of free time?! An extra hour last night, the blog didn't take too long, and I went to sleep a bit earlier, and had a bit of time to myself this morning. So it wasn't too much of a hassle to catch the bus - my personal favourite, as it happens, the #344, which takes me almost everywhere. Sauntered down the road - a small wait, as it happened - along came the bus, and (sort of) whisked me to Monument, on what was a very foggy day; I was glad this wasn't a scenic tour.

The Walrus & Carpenter was our meeting point - just up from the bath house, on Lower Thames Street. The bus dropped me right beside a convenient subway, which I used to cross down to the street, which runs under the bridge. Terrible stench from that subway, but otherwise very useful - including for the person sleeping there. You could tell they were still alive - a foot moved, under the sleeping bag.

Down to Lower Thames Street then, and crossed when possible - turn right, and you can't miss the pub - there isn't an absolute flood of them here. We'd been directed to the cellar bar, and when I made my way down the somewhat precarious stairs, there they were - all two of them! Man with Hat, and man without, warming a corner of the cellar. Couldn't miss them, either - they were the only two there.


Nice spot - Man Without Hat kindly bought me a drink, as Man with Hat went to fetch the people who'd been on the first tour. Only a few popped down to the cellar - they had drinks, and a couple had food. And we chatted convivially until we - the "second wave" headed off. Mind you, I think we worried the Man with the Hat somewhat - we got a bit distracted and were nearly late, only to find him rushing down the stairs to get us, as we made our way up. And then fidgeting impatiently outside the bath house door, just down the road, as we strolled down to him. Can't blame him really.. we seemed to be the last to arrive. But we did make it in time.

We had to buzz in, and had two Museum of London guides, who gave us free handouts about Roman London, and showed us a map of Roman London before taking us down. It was interesting to see the islands that originally comprised the land south of the Thames:


Downstairs then to the main dig, which we viewed from a walkway that, we were warned, only took 12 people at a time. Terrific. Indeed, it did sway a bit. We were also warned not to drop anything into the pit, because they weren't allowed to go fish it out for us! So, as ever, they can't be completely sure what they've uncovered, but they think it might have been a riverside villa, complete with bath house.


Note what they've nicknamed the "cowboy builder" attempt to the left, an extension that doesn't align properly, or connect with the main build. We then moved on to the bath house itself, with its respective rooms for "tepid", "hot", and "cold", with an engaging guide that told us how they were used. Probably.

Fascinating stuff, and plenty to digest over the course of 45 minutes. The guides were first-class, and I can really recommend this tour. Afterwards, the group - most of whom I didn't know - followed us back to the pub, but elected to sit upstairs. Now, I'd just ordered food, and there wasn't room upstairs, so I made my way downstairs, with the aforementioned Man Without Hat, and those of the final group that joined us when they were done. I must say, I'd gladly eat here again - the ale-glazed chicken was delicious, as was the tartare sauce that accompanied it. And the chat was so good - focussing, appropriately, on things horrific and macabre - that we easily filled the time until the place closed, at 5.

Thanks, group, for filling my weekend, and reminding me about what's good about life, at this stressful time - gives me ammunition to face that office again tomorrow.

Monday is Hallowe'en (whoopee)! I was supposed to go on a guided walk - London for a Tenner or Less (nothing to do with the Man with the Hat), advertising Funzing as usual, and wouldn't you know, I was on a walk with the same guide last month. Wasn't massively impressed - I finally cancelled it (Funzing gives a refund if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance), and since I had the film list done, decided I'd go to a film that night instead. Horror, natch. Top rated horror, as it has been for a while, is Don't Breathe, about a group of thieves that break into a blind man's home to rob him, but get more than they bargained for.. unfortunately, locally it's only showing quite late at night, but I can grab a showing at Vue West End at 6:30 or a bit later, depending what suits. Much scarier than a ghost walk, I'll bet. Trailer looks great. Actually, Train to Busan is rated higher - but I don't really like zombie films.
 
Tuesday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, who are back in Rich Mix, with the appropriately titled Day of the Dead. Includes the excellent Nell Phoenix and - my favourite - Clare Muireann Murphy.
 
Wednesday, I'm at a classical concert called Goyescas: Music in the time of Goya, in St. John's Smith Square. I'm going in the company of Kensington Classical Music.
 
Thursday, I was to go to the much over-advertised free comedy in Hammersmith - called Bonfire Special, and I'd signed up to go with five different groups (just because I can): Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, Random London, London Art Comedy & Culture Lovers, London Live Comedy, and London for a Tenner or Less, who advertised the thing no fewer than three times themselves. However, I just got word today that it's been cancelled for a private event! So it was ironic that I was considering how many groups I might have to cancel - that's exactly what I ended up doing! Still haven't come up with a plan for that night - we'll see.
 
Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and we're off to Aida at the University Concert Hall that Saturday. Another thing to remember to print off tickets for - website permitting!
 
On Monday 7th, I've booked for a talk given by a new group, Org London, whose theme is Digital Dystopias: Orwell's 1984 and the Internet Age. Or I might go to a film - we'll see.
 
Tuesday 8th, yippee, I'm back with free comedy in Hammersmith! (so far). Only with three groups so far - Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, London Live Comedy, and London for a Tenner or Less (just the once).
 
Wednesday 9th is back with the Man with the Hat, who's taking Let's Do London - for less! to Southwark Playhouse, to see Orca.
 
Thursday 10th - yes, you guessed it, free comedy in Hammersmith! Think of it as a placeholder. Funnily enough, I'd just booked with London for a Tenner or Less, and only just noticed that Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and London Live Comedy, were also advertising. Again. So I've booked. Again. What the hey, it's free.
 
Now, on Friday 11th, London Dramatic Arts are off to see King Lear at the Barbican. Haven't seen that since I studied it in school. Well, I'm off to see it too - cheaper, and sat in the very back row! Hopefully, with the maze that the Barbican is, it'll be fairly easy to avoid them.
 
And I did have something to do on the 12th - or rather, the Man with the Hat did, until hardly anyone booked, so he cancelled! Bah humbug. Might go to the Lord Mayor's show, which is on that day. Or perhaps a film..

No comments:

Post a Comment