Saturday 1 October 2016

Emirates Cable Car

Mary's a friend of mine, met through the Man with the Hat's groups - and ever since she first went on the Emirates Cable Car, she's been raving about it. To the extent that she convinced him to organise an event around it! Anyway, I couldn't make that one, so she determined to get me on it at some point.. and her chance finally came yesterday evening, the first evening I could spare after she suggested it!

I was working from home, but with a release due to be sent out the door yesterday evening, it was a hectic and stressful day. Mercifully, little enough went wrong that we were done and dusted by just after 4, so I even had time to eat before leaving - she'd suggested we meet at North Greenwich Station at 7. Google Maps' best suggestion was Jubilee Line from Waterloo, and to make sure I wasn't late, I took the train to Waterloo - which was unproblematic, despite the obligatory five-minute pause just outside the station. A crowded Tube, then, that I was glad to leave, and she texted me to say she'd arrived as I was nearly up the escalator to the exit. Good timing..

Ah, it was lovely to be back at the O2 again - the last time was for the U2 concerts last year, and as I disembarked at the station, I was singing their opening song softly to myself. However, this time we were headed to the right of the O2 entrance, through the car park, to the cable car station on the other side. Just as well I was with someone who knew the way - it's not signposted, and I doubt you'd find it as a casual visitor. You might think they'd advertise it a bit better, considering they're concerned about visitor numbers!


More photos here. You can go straight through with an Oyster card, but then you don't get the "boarding pass" tickets and the souvenir panoramic photo, with landmarks highlighted. Well, tickets purchased, we passed through the barriers, climbed the stairs, and took a seat in the next vacant cable car - they seat 10, but it being evening, and not very busy, the official suggested we wait for the next empty one.

It's quite comfy - upholstered benches line two sides, everything is glass so you get a good view, it's air-conditioned; there's an information screen, which they could have left off for all the information they showed us. Perhaps, at busier times, they do some kind of a commentary. Anyway, we did get some spectacular views - and it was Mary's first night-time trip:


It was just a little breezy, and we swayed gently as we slowly, slowly crossed the river. Good views of the O2, lovely views of the City:


There's an exhibition on the other side, apparently, but it was closed (probably due to the late hour) and we just stayed on for the return trip. We were passed by a number of cars that obviously had parties in them - although alcohol isn't permitted (and they have cctv to make sure), they were having a ball, and we could hear their cheers as we passed. I must say, I was a teensy bit nervous just at the start, but by the end, with the gentle sway of the car, the pleasant aircon, and the comfy seats and gorgeous views, I was quite smitten. Yes, I'd definitely recommend this! Certainly a must-do if you're in the area.

Afterwards, we fancied a drink - the obvious thing was to head to the O2, and now it was my turn to show Mary something; seems she hadn't been since the place was newly built. Well, it was a revelation to her - a whole village, in the form of a street, 23 restaurants, 6 bars, and - a newsagents (!). Anyway, after a stroll along the length of the street, we ended up in the Slug & Lettuce. Service is a bit slow, but generally friendly, and the décor is attractively quirky, mirrors and flatscreen tvs surrounded by ornate picture frames:


We ended up buying raffle tickets, and would you believe, she won two prizes! Worth her while coming out.. anyway, we stayed till closing, and wended our ways home. Great night Mary, thanks for the suggestion!

I was wrecked when I got home, though - got the photos online, but hadn't the energy to blog. Been a quiet day today so far, but I have to move soon - tonight I'm with LDAM again, who - for once - are off to see some Beckett! Hallelujah, he's my favourite playwright - and not theirs, which makes it fun. No's Knife, it is, at the Old Vic. Mind you, for all that she gave us a time to meet, I know she's gonna be late..

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete