Thursday 15 September 2016

Walk: Tate Switch

I always enjoy London Literary Walks, and last night's offering was ideal - the Tate Switch promised to take us around Southwark, an area I've always loved. So I booked - for free, as always.

How unlucky to be struck down with a tummy - well, something. With hindsight, it seems a bit like food poisoning, but when I was getting ready to leave, I swear I only had a mild tummy ache. On the bus, I had a few rough moments, but was sure I'd be ok in a bit. Traffic was heavy, but I did make it to Southwark Tavern in time - the organiser always waits for half an hour in the pub beforehand.

He'd said to go downstairs, so I did - not seeing the group immediately, I headed for the toilet - thought that was wise. And as I was coming out, I met one of the group, who told me where they were - down some steps, and in "Cell 5". I did find them without too much trouble after that, but I must say the layout is fascinating. I recommend the basement if you're here - air conditioning made it cooler than the bar upstairs, and the "cells" are individual, private alcoves, containing tables, benches, stools. Nice and cosy.

We hung around for a bit, our leader regaling us with whatever interesting snippets crossed his mind. And I was excited to be there, and would normally have loved this bit - but it was a bit spoiled by the fact that the pain in my stomach was getting worse. I consoled myself with the thought that walking would probably cure it - didn't think it'd be wise to get a drink, though.

We hung on for the one remaining member who hadn't arrived yet, but I was quite relieved when we left. Made our way outside, and I did manage to get a nice shot of the Shard:



..and uh-oh, that pain in my stomach was getting worse. Anyway, we moved on a bit, and the organiser was full of interesting titbits about the alleys and courtyards, and how this area was originally outside of London, and was bought by the city. And contained a lot of coaching inns, where people could replace their tired horses after a long journey, and rest and refresh themselves.

..and now, whether we were standing or walking, that pain wasn't going away. I tried to hold out as long as I could, but finally decided this was just going to get worse, made my apologies and left. Yes, I know I missed a ton of information I'd have loved to hear, but what could I do?

The journey home was interesting, of course - I had a bit of a walk to the bus stop, and hadn't quite made it when I suddenly and desperately needed the toilet. Oh where, oh where could I find one? Across the road, I spied the Southwark Rooms, and made my way over there - luckily, there wasn't much traffic, and I got across quickly enough. They were completely empty, and as I entered, the barman approached. I asked for the toilet and was directed downstairs.. oh, what a relief. Diarrhoea. When I considered it safe to move again, I left - to see him closing the place up. Fair enough, it was empty - but 8:30 is quite early to be closing..

It wasn't fun waiting for the bus, and when I got on, it was even less fun. Finally I decided I'd need to get off at Vauxhall and take the train - I was lucky to get a nonstop, but was still literally praying for my station to arrive. Managed to get home, and threw up about half an hour later. Felt much better after that, although gutted to miss the rest of this walk.

I do feel a lot better today - although rather dubious about eating, as I write this just before going for lunch. So I'm going to risk the Ghosts and Executions walk tonight. Booked through London for a Tenner or Less, so Funzing - too late to cancel now and get a refund, anyway! Curiously, Funzing says you don't need to print the confirmation, London for a Tenner or Less says you do.. I have, for safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment