Tuesday 6 September 2016

The Smalls Short Film Festival: Drama Programme

With Meetup still pretty quiet, last night was film again - and absolute top of my list (in terms of IMDB ratings) by a country mile was Home. It turned out that that was a short film, showing as part of the drama programme of the Smalls Film Festival in Hackney House, last night only - so when I was looking for a film for last night, that's what I chose. Thought I'd better book, so I did.

Hackney - bummer, I'd have to cross town again. I considered driving, I really did - now, I'd have to cross the city centre for that, which would be impossible without assistance, so I took the advice of several people of my acquaintance and downloaded Waze traffic app, now that I have a phone capable of taking it. I've even bought a car mount. But could I figure out how to get navigation working on Waze? Nope, I could not. And the how-to videos on YouTube use the old interface, so that's no use. I (not very reluctantly) decided to take the Overground instead - a straight run to Shoreditch was much simpler. Waze can wait another while.

I just made the Overground in nice time, and even got a seat after Clapham High Street, when the train really emptied out - doubtless with people catching the Tube. Read the paper I'd picked up, arrived at Shoreditch about 15 minutes before the showing. What followed was a curious walk through back streets - it'd been tricky, but very worthwhile, to plot it out on Streetview beforehand. Basically, turn left out of the station, left onto the main road, and then - despite the fact that you're going down a back alley - keep going straight. At the end, turn left - Hackney House is just across the road.

It only took about five minutes, but this area is great for street art, which made the trip entertaining:




..and there's more to the place than just street art! What a nice hotel entrance..


I was glad I hadn't driven - there wasn't a parking space free on that street, and with roadworks further up, and not knowing the area, I wouldn't have fancied driving around in confusion. The venue was guarded by a burly bouncer, whom I practically had to squeeze past to get in. The lady at the desk checked off my name (not checking id, mind, as it'd said on the website), and directed me to the bar upstairs, until the screening started. This is one of those mutli-use buildings, so the decor is rough and ready - typical Shoreditch, really.

Anyway, a talk on "getting your script seen" was in progress to the side - I've never before been to this festival, but it seems to be a real networking event. So I moseyed over to the bar and whispered my order, which she gave me in a plastic container so I could take it in. But when I took out my wallet.. she said it was free! Well now. So I sat quietly over the side, eavesdropping - didn't really pick up any tips, and I suspect they didn't honestly have much of use to offer - until it was time to mosey downstairs again. Where we entered the screening room.. and I kid you not, they'd left a packet of popcorn on each seat! Aww.. I chose one with a packet of "Sweet & Salty" on it - there were two flavours.



The seats were folding ones, and not really that comfy for a long session - but the programme was the best I've seen in a very long time. Films were shown in alphabetical order of title:

"A Girl and Her Gun" is a gritty look at a young girl from a rough background, the odds stacked against her, who finds an unusual way of standing up for herself.

"Him" is set in Moorgate Station, where a man and woman, both dressed in business suits, are waiting for the Tube. She gazes at him, unnoticed, as we hear her thoughts - in poetry, she describes how she would love to be the replacement for the girl she used to see him with, but now no longer does.

(Neither of these ends well..)

"Home" really was the stand-out film of the night for me, and really moving. Recommended for all those heartless people who condemn refugees, this turns the whole thing on its head as we watch a typical, middle-class, English family - mother, father, two small kids - pack a case to go on holiday..

"If Walls Could Talk" has a teenage boy home alone, who hears violent rowing from next door, and tries to help.

"Last Leg", based on a true story, takes a really disturbing look at a schoolgirl, a brilliant athlete, who can't seem to run - or swim - fast enough to get away from her abusive father.

"Offside" is a touching look at a girl, being raised by her single father, who plays with the boys' football team he coaches. But now she's growing up..

"The Nature of Daylight" is another really moving film (my #2 from last night) whose plot simply revolves around a man leaving a nostalgic phone message for the girl he's not seeing any more.

Finally, "The Wonderful Flight", set in Mongolia, tells the tale (again, inspired by real events, as is explained at the end) of a little boy - a keen musician, who has lost his hearing - whose big brother has a madcap idea to help.

Ah, this was a fantastic programme, and I'm so glad I caught it. Highly recommend the festival too. I didn't stay for the networking afterwards, but even so it ran too late for me to post last night, what with being in Guildford again today.

Tonight, I'm finally scheduled to go to a meeting of the Amnesty International Hammersmith and Fulham Meetup Group, who have a talk about Reform in Myanmar. Which I'm sure is good, but what with my passenger potentially needing to stay late, I'm not sure I'll make it - and I can take it or leave it really, haven't even bought a ticket. We'll see.

Tomorrow, I'm back among friendly faces - the Man with the Hat is off to Top Secret again. That's likely to be a late night - and joy, I managed to get the next day as work from home! So much handier.

Thursday, the best thing I could find was Bear Jokes Comedy, which unfortunately is back in Hackney, with London Live Comedy. Well, the other comedy didn't appeal.

Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and on Saturday we're going to the Limetree Theatre for a play based on the love letters between Michael Collins and Kitty Kiernan. Playing for one night only, A Great Arrangement is set during the negotiation of the treaty of Irish independence, and is the latest event inspired by the centenary of 1916, obviously, and also references the Dáil debates and newspaper reports of the time.


Next week, Monday and Tuesday are devoted to the Man with the Hat. On Monday, he's taking Let's Do London - for Less! to Southwark Playhouse, for Punkplay - as the name implies, all about punk. On roller skates, I believe. And on Tuesday, he's taking London for Less than a Tenner to Soho Theatre, to see Two Man Show. Which, as you might expect, has two women in it. Talking about men.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete