Friday 2 September 2016

Summer Strolls - Islington: That's Entertainment!

The most interesting Meetup event this evening was a walk in Islington, advertised by London Social Detours. Now, this was also advertised by London for a Tenner or Less, who sell tickets for Funzing events. So I booked with them - then checked London Social Detours, who turned out to be advertising the same walk for £2 less! (it being the last of the season). Well hey, I checked the Funzing website and discovered I could cancel up to 48 hours beforehand. So I did, and was refunded with Funzing credit, which I've already used to book other walks. Then I RSVPed yes for London Social Detours, checking that I could pay on arrival.

Looking up my travel details, I saw I'd need to go from Balham.. hmm, I know how to drive there, and can park onstreet for free after 5.30.. Excellent! So off I set, making sure I didn't arrive before 5.30. In the event, the traffic was quite heavy, and it was 5.50 when I parked - making it a bit tight; the Tube was going to take nearly half an hour, and I had to be in Angel by 6.30. And then I got out of the car - and it started to rain.

Ah. Now, that's not ideal walking weather. Mind you, I consoled myself with the thought that it wasn't heavy, and set off in search of the station. I walked to the bridge, thinking it would be there - as it happened, it wasn't, and I had to open a maps app on my phone to see where to go (it's quite a while since I used this station). Turn back, go left. After I'd waited for the traffic to clear so I could cross, I headed for the station, visible down the side road.. and as I walked down there, I suddenly realised: yes, I'd forgotten my Oyster card again!

Now, there was no way I was travelling without it - it'd cost twice as much. And by the time I'd gone home for it, it'd be way too late to make it in time. So, that was that. What the hey, it was raining anyway - and I saved myself both transport costs and the price of the walk. And got my evening back. And Islington will still be there, some other time..

Tomorrow, the ever-entertaining Man with the Hat is taking London for a Less than a Tenner (not to be confused with the Funzing group!) to an outdoor screening of Star Wars. We who showed up to the last outdoor screening he hosted are getting a discount that he niftily negotiated for us, since that one was delayed when the folks showing the film (ahem) forgot the film, and someone who lived nearby had to scurry off and get their own copy. So it was delayed, and some folks had to leave without seeing it. Hey-ho, better luck this time; I have seen this Star Wars before, and honestly wasn't completely bowled over - but it is good, and I rarely pass up an opportunity to tag along with the Man with the Hat. Better be careful what I say though - I know there are a couple of folks in this group that are fans of the film. This is in Fulham Park, which isn't too far from me - I might drive. And it's forecast to rain again - apparently, they do offer ponchos. 'Twon't stop me..

No comments:

Post a Comment