Thursday 8 September 2016

Play: The Inn At Lydda

Yeah, tonight I was meant to be headed to Bear Jokes Comedy, in Hackney, with London Live Comedy. But more and more, I didn't feel like heading to Hackney. So when I got an email about cheap tickets (there are a few I'm signed up to..), I decided to see what was on offer. Behold and lo, they had The Inn At Lydda, at the Wanamaker Playhouse.. now, I knew that some of those performances had sold out, but I checked, they had tickets, and I said sod it - and booked.

I adore this venue, and its sister, the Globe. I'd literally go just for the venues themselves. Anyhoo, having the whole day to prepare - I was working from home, handily - I was still rushing, of course. As I approached the pedestrian crossing, the bus was at the stop on the other side. The gods were on my side, though - the same light that allowed us to cross also backed up the traffic - so the bus couldn't go far from the stop - so by the time I got to it, it had hardly moved, and I appealed to the driver, who decided he wasn't going anywhere fast, and let me on. And also the guy racing behind me - so I guess my good deed for the day was holding the bus for him.

I had to sit in the back, but I seem to be getting used to it, and had a pleasant enough journey - it was just getting a bit dark by the time I got there. Got my ticket - for the pit. This was the third time I'd been here, and like the first time, I was in the pit - like the Globe itself, this bit is the closest to the stage; unlike the Globe, it's seated. Backless, like the Globe seats. Upholstered, unlike the Globe. The Man with the Hat was also there, coincidentally (without the Hat tonight), and he and his companion were sat right behind me - fancy, I had the advantage over him, he'd never been before, I discovered! He was greatly impressed by the decor, and I agree. Sadly, this venue completely prohibits photographs, unlike the Globe, which does allow them while performances aren't in progress.. last time I was here, I did manage to snap one off from the gallery, while no-one was looking (no flash, of course):


Again, this time I'd have had to fight the usher, standing right in front of me, to do the same. There are better photos online.

The Inn at Lydda is based, apparently, on a historical text that claims that the Roman Emperor Tiberius, seriously ill, sought the healing powers of Jesus. (The Guardian provided an interesting review, by the way.) I certainly had a great seat - front row, and glad of the legroom; I've complained about that before. It did mean I had to tuck my feet in whenever the actors were making an entrance - again, like the Globe, they tend to enter through the pit. I got swished by several cloaks - this was not a great hardship. Other Globe touches were in evidence - the love of including musical excerpts, and minor audience interaction, principally in the form of someone handing out nibbles at the end of the interval. Not that we got any..

The first half is played primarily for laughs, and left me with the impression that the Inn of the title is the crossroads where every crackpot within the boundaries of civilisation met. The three wise kings, in particular - who've apparently hung around all this time - are a hoot, Caesar himself seems a bit touched in the head, and as for his nephew, Caligula - jeez, he's as bonkers as you'd expect. Some gravity is introduced when Jesus shows up. He, and the only one of his disciples - John - who hangs around, lend the piece a solemnity that contrasts strongly with the excesses of the Romans.

Wait for the second half though (actually slightly longer than the first). Caesar meets Jesus, tragedy ensues, and as disaster seems to strike, watch Caligula transform from the maniac party boy of the first half to a psychopathic leader, delivering a rather stunning speech predicting how the leaders of the future will dwarf anything that Rome does, with their cruelty. A nice balance, then, of comedy and drama - I really enjoyed this. Runs until a week on Saturday - recommended.

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and on Saturday we're going to the Limetree Theatre for a play based on the love letters between Michael Collins and Kitty Kiernan. Playing for one night only, A Great Arrangement is set during the negotiation of the treaty of Irish independence, and is the latest event inspired by the centenary of 1916, obviously, and also references the Dáil debates and newspaper reports of the time.
 
Next week, Monday and Tuesday are devoted to the Man with the Hat. On Monday, he's taking Let's Do London - for Less! to Southwark Playhouse, for Punkplay - as the name implies, all about punk. On roller skates, I believe. And on Tuesday, he's taking London for Less than a Tenner to Soho Theatre, to see Two Man Show. Which, as you might expect, has two women in it. Talking about men.

On Wednesday, I'm back with London Literary Walks - this one is called the Tate Switch Walk. And on Thursday, I'm delighted to be going on my first pre-Hallowe'en event.. London for a Tenner or Less (NOT the same as the above group), and therefore Funzing, have organised a Ghosts and Executions tour. Cool - I missed the first date of this, but they do tend to repeat them.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete