Tuesday 20 September 2016

Play: The Greater Game

Honestly, I wouldn't have gone to tonight's play if the Man with the Hat hadn't been involved. Football? I can take it or leave it, generally. Jingoistic nationalism? I can definitely do without. What the hey, I said I'd give it a shot.

I was working from home today, which allowed me time to take my watch in to get a new battery. The chap said it'd be ready around six - that was when I was planning to leave for Southwark Playhouse, but ok. Of course, when I went back to collect it, he was on a break till 6:15, which would be a bit late - I decided to leave. I made my way to the closest stop for the 344, which has a display showing the next buses due - when I saw that mine wasn't due for 15 minutes, I thought I'd make my way back again to wait for my watch.. on the way, I met a 344.. which I just caught. It'll probably be Friday now till I can collect the watch, but what the hey (again).

A much less eventful journey than last night - in fact, rather than prevent people from getting off, this was one of the drivers that stop at every stop, just on the off-chance! Possibly, he had one eye on the heavy traffic..



I've often thought how handy it would be - for me, at least - if Southwark Playhouse lay on the other side of Elephant & Castle, which takes a solid five minutes (minimum) to drive through. I've also thought how much time I might save by getting off a stop early, on the other side of the roundabout. Haven't done it yet, mind.

No matter: Let's Do London - for Less! were still keeping the back of the bar warm when I went in, stole a seat and went to get a drink. And although an announcement was made when the house was open, we reasoned that we had allocated seating, and pretty much ignored it. We moved when they made a second announcement. And found ourselves sat in front-facing seats, all more or less together - interestingly, I ended up having conversations with people both about how comfortable, and uncomfortable, the seats were. 'Tis all relative.

The Greater Game is based on a book that tells the story of how a London football team signed up for the Great War. And my, but I had several problems with the first half, in particular. The football bit was fine - it served to show the camaraderie, and these characters are beautifully developed and acted: talk about making you care for them! No, it was the "patriotism" that irritated me:


They were so gung-ho, you know, about joining up "for king and country". And I don't doubt it was true to life - but when they had done so, and the commanding officer came on, cap and all, my immediate reaction was hostile. I'd make a terrible soldier.

So I couldn't sympathise in the slightest with their noble aims, nor with their patriotic statements about doing their duty. I wonder how many in the audience could - not everyone stayed for the second half. But - to my relief - the second half was really moving, as they started to fall, and those left started to question the wisdom of what was happening. Certainly, this is well played - I believe there are a couple of famous people in it, but that went right over my head. And I can guarantee you'll recognise the songs - funny how they've lasted.

Aside: One small problem for me, with the snippet from "Keep the Home Fires Burning": the last time I heard this was in the last scene of The Plough and the Stars, at the National. It's interesting to compare them, because they are both set at the same time - the centenary of the Battle of the Somme is also the centenary of the Easter Rising. In fact, the rising was timed to coincide with the worst of the war in Europe, when Britain was engaged elsewhere. Anyway, thing is, in that last scene (spoiler), a woman has been shot dead, by mistake, by British troops who took her for a sniper. A couple of them come to investigate, there's some conversation with those in the room, who are then dispatched about their business, leaving the soldiers alone with the dead woman, who has been covered by a sheet. The soldiers, seeing a boiling kettle, decide to have a cuppa. And then start to sing "Keep the Home Fires Burning", as the flames of the burning city glow in the window. Very, very shocking, that scene left the whole audience agape. Frankly, I'll never listen to that song in the same light again.

Anyway, tonight's production is very well done - the actors are a delight to watch, and it was, as usual, lovely to see them chilling in the bar afterwards, at this most informal of venues. Booking until the 15th.

Yep, some of us hung on pretty late in the bar - interestingly, not the usual suspects, but I didn't lack for company. And entertaining company, too - and yet again I had cause to reflect what a lively crowd this group attracts.

Tomorrow is Helen's birthday, I've taken the day off, and a few of us are headed for a full day of merriment. The plan as it stands is to start with the Clangers, Bagpuss & Co. Exhibition at the V&A Museum of Childhood, then we've booked a chocolate afternoon tea at Rabot 1745, followed by an evening of Colouring with Cats at Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium.
Thursday is a leaving do at work - taking place at The White House, in Guildford. So I'll take the train to work that day, for once.

Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and a well-deserved rest..

Before next week! Monday sees the long-awaited return of the Crick Crack Storytelling Club, who are at Soho Theatre with The Girl who Married a Dog.

Tuesday, I'm back with Kensington Classical Music, for a concert at Asia House - part of the Talent Unlimited Music Futures Festival, for young performers, which runs all week.

Wednesday, the Man with the Hat is taking London for Less Than a Tenner to the Top Secret Comedy Club.

Thursday sees my second outing of the week, with Kensington Classical Music, to Asia House, for that Talent Unlimited Festival.

I've arranged with Mary (another regular of the Man with the Hat's) to go on the Emirates Cable Car that Friday. She's been, loved it, invited me. Gosh, d'you know, if it's not on the Meetup calendar, I can forget so easily.. well, now there's a record of it here. This was the first date I was free!

Finally, I start next month with LDAM again, who - for once - are off to see some Beckett! Hallelujah, he's my favourite playwright - and not theirs, which makes it fun. No's Knife, it is, at the Old Vic, on 1 October.. Hmm, I seem to remember looking forward to when the Meetup groups got busy again. Be careful what you wish for..

No comments:

Post a Comment