Thursday 1 September 2016

Opera: The Barber of Seville

As someone in the group mentioned tonight, there are some events you just don't have to think about. Man with the Hat + Pop-Up Opera is one of those combinations. An irresistible one, in fact. So I booked, as soon as I heard. Lordy, it seems like an age since I saw the Pop-Up Opera - and indeed, it's been months.

Worked from Guildford today, and was delayed on the trip home by an accident - there seemed to be a lot of those today. Then my passenger, seeing he was going to be late for his appointment, asked me to do him the favour of dropping him off up the road. Well, I'm an obliging person - however, this did mean that, if I wanted some decent drinking time before the event, I'd have to take the train. At least this time I didn't forget my Oyster card..

I arrived at Clapham Junction just in time to catch a nonstop train to Waterloo - whoopee. Well, except that the nonstop trains always seem to be the very slowest. Not only do they slow down as they approach their destination, but they seem to have to let every other single train approaching Waterloo take a platform before they can. In fact, we were stuck, just outside Waterloo, for over 5 minutes - which mightn't seem like long, until you consider that the actual train trip only took 10.

At least I'm familiar with Waterloo and its environs these days, which makes walking through it much easier. Headed for Waterloo Road, turned right at the Old Vic, and took the road just to the right of the mural:


This is Lower Marsh, and I was headed for Lounge 34, a short distance down, on the left. Went in, located the group, ordered a drink (which took a while). It was cheap though, which was handy for the poor barman, as I had enough change to cover it - and he hadn't had any. And I finally joined the group - displacing the poor Man with the Hat, who was headed over to the Vaults, where the event was to take place. Before he left, he did distribute some fetching, and self-explanatory, tickets:



This evening, we were with Let's Do London - for Less! and I did wonder where everyone had got to - there were only six of us in the pub. Well, we eventually headed over to the Vaults - and behold, they were propping up the bar there. To be fair, they hadn't much choice - the house didn't open until quite close to showtime. In the meantime, I was prevailed upon to purchase some more cheap alcohol. So I did.

When we were let in, we ended up taking up the very front. I, for my part, was squished - with a couple of others - into a sofa directly in front of the stage area. Had to make sure not to let my leg too close to the spotlight to the side, which was quite hot: otherwise, we had the best seats in the house! The chap selling programmes did swing by, but he's not as persistent as the chap they had before, and we felt under no obligation to buy one.

Tonight was The Barber of Seville - one night only here, although they're touring the country with it until early next year. But, you see, they tend to pop up for just one night in a venue, and then pop off again. Well worth a look, and it was interesting to speculate what newbies might have thought of the production. You see, for all the modern, unfussy garb, the lack of props, and the hilariously irreverent captions, the performances are top-notch. Unsurprising, in a way, if you've seen them before, but still, I'd forgotten just how good they are - amazing voices, belting out beautiful arias, accompanied by a terrific pianist (well, keyboard player), and traipsing up and down the centre aisle, in character. Nothing quite compares with the thrill of having an opera singer in full voice let loose right beside your ear - and, as usual, if you're in the front, prepare to be interacted with. Gently. Although it was a pity, when the aforementioned someone's phone was borrowed by a cast member right at the end, that she hadn't unlocked it, and they couldn't actually take a photo..

Fantastic, frankly. The absolute best way to introduce anyone to opera - informal and fun - and I know there were first-timers tonight. The group was full of praise afterwards. How and ever, as usual, we were a select group, back in the pub after. Where we spent a pleasant hour or so, chatting. Perfect combination, you see - a great show, and great company. And after, I got the bus home - no rush, as I'm working from home tomorrow.

Tomorrow evening, London for a Tenner or Less advertised a guided walk in Islington. Sounded good, I booked. Now, London Social Detours were advertising the same thing, and I figured I'd sign up with them as well, as long as they didn't charge me twice - I figured they had a Funzing arrangement, since London for a Tenner or Less are a Funzing group. Imagine my chagrin to discover that, on that event page, the organiser was offering a discount, it being the last walk of the season, apparently. Well, I went back to the Funzing page and checked the refund conditions; yes, I could have a refund if I cancelled at least 48 hours beforehand. Terrific, I did! It comes in the form of Funzing credit, but you can contact them if you want it refunded to your payment method. Fair enough, I've actually already used it to book other walks! And the organiser of this walk says I can pay in person - I have cash, so that should be fine.

On Saturday, the ever-entertaining Man with the Hat is taking London for a Less than a Tenner (not to be confused with the Funzing group!) to an outdoor screening of Star Wars. We who showed up to the last outdoor screening he hosted are getting a discount that he niftily negotiated for us, since that one was delayed when the folks showing the film (ahem) forgot the film, and someone who lived nearby had to scurry off and get their own copy. So it was delayed, and some folks had to leave without seeing it. Hey-ho, better luck this time; I have seen this Star Wars before, and honestly wasn't completely bowled over - but it is good, and I rarely pass up an opportunity to tag along with the Man with the Hat. This is in Fulham Park, which isn't too far from me - I might drive, which I won't be doing for the other things happening in the meantime. Now, all of a sudden it's forecast to rain - apparently, they do offer ponchos. 'Twon't stop me..

No comments:

Post a Comment