Thursday 4 August 2016

Play: Shakespeare's Avengers Assembleth; Age of Oberon

Nothing much appealed on Meetup tonight - but, looking through cheap ticket offers, I came upon one nice and close - Shakespeare's Avengers Assembleth: Age of Oberon was playing in Theatre N16. (Looking through my archives, I see I've been there before - in December, in fact! How soon I forget.) Anyway, I booked - and with all the residential streets nearby, I figured I'd get parking - and since it was just the other side of Clapham Common, driving seemed the thing to do! Could do with more practice around there - so far, every time I've driven there I've got lost..

Headed out, having eaten about half my dinner - and had researched Streetview so carefully, I didn't even need to consult the map. Follow signs for the South Circular, then for Balham - turn left at Waitrose, and it's straight ahead, just before the railway bridge. And.. so it proved. In fact, I'd expected to be trying the side streets for parking, but what did I come across but a massive space on the main road, just up from the venue. And there I parked - wisely, I think; I didn't see another space as I walked up to the venue.

Theatre N16 is above the Bedford pub. Walk in, there's a large sign for it on your right. Headed up the stairs - there was a room with people waltzing. I figured that wasn't what I was there for, and continued to the next level. Where a clump of people were stood in the lobby, conversing. One asked me whether I was there for the theatre - sorry, he said, but it's been cancelled for a medical emergency. Hmph! Got a flier, and made my way out again.

It's a shame, as I said to him - it sounded good. Anyway, its last night there is tomorrow, and it's in The Cockpit on the 19th & 20th. Good luck to it.. for me, I made a circuit of a few side streets to get pointed in the other direction, and my way back was even easier! I'll say this, though - I'm not surprised I got lost before, particularly headed north through Clapham Common; the turning I needed came upon me almost immediately, and wasn't signposted! Again, thanks to Streetview..

On the plus side, now I get my night back (what's left of it). And am now finishing my dinner (I reheated it). I don't really have time to go to anything else - I'm back to Guildford tomorrow, since I'm off to Helen's for the weekend - she's got a big bash planned, with an Alice in Wonderland theme! (Costume currently hanging on my door, thank you, and needs packing..) And on Monday, why, I'm back with the Man with the Hat.. we're off to see Gladiator, in an outdoor screening at the Guildhall, with a visit to the Roman amphitheatre underneath first.

No comments:

Post a Comment