Tuesday 30 August 2016

Free Comedy in Hammersmith

Well, the best that Meetup could throw up for tonight was the ever-over-advertised Free Comedy in Hammersmith: on this occasion, advertised by Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon & Farringdon: London Live Comedy: and London for a Tenner or Less (who are bound to delete the listing when it's underway, possibly to disguise the fact that they work for Funzing, a for-profit organisation, and have literally hundreds of events scheduled).

When it came down to it though, I was hungry, I was tired, and I was not terribly keen on dragging myself across town to force a grin at what, frankly, is often mediocre comedy. Hey, don't get me wrong, it's far from the worst, the atmosphere is good, and I don't doubt I'll be back. However, I will be glad when people get back from their holidays, and get around to organising interesting events again, so I don't have to revert to this one all the time. Anyway, for this evening, I'll stay in and eat.

The rest of the week sounds more promising. Tomorrow, I'm on another London Literary Walk - in Bloomsbury, this time. These are very entertaining (and free), and I'd go on more if they didn't clash with so many other things.

On Thursday, we're going underground with the Man with the Hat; Let's Do London - for less! is off to the Vaults, for a Pop-Up Opera production of The Barber of Seville. Great, it's been a while..

On Friday, speaking of London for a Tenner or Less, they advertised a guided walk in Islington. Sounded good, I booked. Now, London Social Detours were advertising the same thing, and I figured I'd sign up with them as well, as long as they didn't charge me twice - I figured they had a Funzing arrangement, too. Imagine my chagrin to discover that, on that event page, the organiser was offering a discount, it being the last walk of the season, apparently. Well, I went back to the Funzing page and checked the refund conditions; yes, I could have a refund if I cancelled at least 48 hours beforehand. Terrific, I did! It comes in the form of Funzing credit, but you can contact them if you want it refunded to your payment method. Fair enough, I'm sure I'll use the credit in due course. And the walk organiser says I can pay in person - so all I have to do is remember to bring cash.

On Saturday, the ever-entertaining Man with the Hat is taking London for a Less than a Tenner (again, not to be confused with the Funzing group!) to an outdoor screening of Star Wars. We who showed up to the last outdoor screening he hosted are getting a discount that he niftily negotiated for us, since that one was delayed when the folks showing the film (ahem) forgot the film, and someone who lived nearby had to scurry off and get their own copy. So it was delayed, and some folks had to leave without seeing it. Hey-ho, better luck this time; I have seen this Star Wars before, and honestly wasn't completely bowled over - but it is good, and I rarely pass up an opportunity to tag along with the Man with the Hat. This is in Fulham Park, which isn't too far from me - I might drive, which I won't be doing for the other things happening in the meantime..

No comments:

Post a Comment