Tuesday 9 August 2016

Film: Gladiator

Ah, Gladiator. Love the film, adore the soundtrack. So it wasn't hard to decide to go, when the man with the (white, on this occasion) hat arranged a Meetup for London for Less Than a Tenner for an outdoor screening last night, at the Guildhall. And it was promised fine - seating provided, hot food available.

I was in Guildford, but these outdoor screenings start late anyway, to try and get a dark backdrop. So I was in plenty of time to get the bus, and as usual, the ever-dependable 344 took me to within a short walk of the place. Dunno what it is, but I'm timing it perfectly with that route, these days - it approached the stop just as I was crossing the road. I travelled most of its route, getting off at Fenchurch Street, and had one of those interesting walks.. I'm not in the City very often, and tend to forget how much I love the narrow, winding passages: but Google Maps led me an interesting dance through the back streets starting with Bell Inn Yard:


..and I see they're continuing the tradition of "trails" through London, where you pass landmarks on the way:


Anyhoo, got to the Guildhall, and - as advertised by someone in the group who'd already arrived - the entrance wasn't the main one on Gresham Street, but there was a large sign pointing you to the smaller entrance, at the side, where they were checking tickets. Said I was with Meetup, got my hand stamped, and I was in.

A stall to the right acted as a bar, where I got a small wine - food was hot dogs, at the adjacent stall, but honestly, I can't stand English sausages, so English hot dogs are out. The galleries and Roman amphiteatre, which lies underneath the yard, were open till the film's start time at 9 (as were the toilets in the gallery), but I've already seen them (and didn't need the loo), so I hung around with the group until it was time to take our seats - the Man with the White Hat had reserved row after row for us, at the front, and we got excellent seats in front of the large, inflatable screen.



They started a bit late - of course. And I was noticing how cool it was - last night for me with bare legs for the year, probably! And then there was an announcement, from the guy with the mic, at the projection booth in the middle of the yard. In amongst calling himself a "tool" over and over, he explained how he was always paranoid about forgetting the film. So he put the film in a special bag. Which he'd now forgotten. Apologised, offered a refund, offered to screen a different film - and then suddenly announced that a "hero" had offered to get his own copy from home! Cue a cheer, and we hunkered down and waited - I hear there were people who left, though and I don't blame them; this is a long film, and it was already due to run until 11.30.

Phew, another cheer greeted his return, and we started soon after. A different film just wouldn't have been the same, really - I actually also have my own copy, but it wouldn't have been much use; it's on VHS, and it's in Ireland. Despite my freezing legs.. and the late hour combined with another early start (I'm in Guildford again today).. and the fact that I've seen it so many times - I wouldn't have missed it!

I know there were a few people there last night who hadn't seen it before - surprising, at this stage, but it happens. Gladiator is credited with reviving interest in "swords and sandals" epics - and no wonder. An all-star cast gives a beautiful performance - Russell Crowe is the Roman general, betrayed and captured as a slave, made to fight as a gladiator. Joaquin Phoenix plays the sleaziest, slimiest emperor you could wish for, having taken over after murdering his father, the late Richard Harris. As if that weren't enough, he also has a creepy hankering for his sister, Connie Nielsen. Derek Jacobi plays the senator who shares Russell Crowe's (and Richard Harris') desire to restore the Roman republic, and Oliver Reed appears in his final performance, as the slavemaster. In fact, he died during filming, and - fun fact - not all his scenes had been shot yet! Cue some subterfuge, with shots of him in shadow, or from behind..

It's a rip-roaring film of battles, plenty of rippling flesh, wielding deadly weapons. They have chariots, they have tigers - all very exciting. And the cinematography is excellent, great sweeping shots of sky, or the Roman skyline. Multi-award-winning - its quality has been acknowledged. But you know, I don't go out and buy a copy of every good film I see - very few, in fact. Gladiator has something a bit special - it's actually a very simple story. It's "a dream that was Rome" - to quote the film. A story of honour, of courage, of resilience against the odds. It's the ultimate story of heroism, and has a soundtrack that sends shivers through me when I hear it. (And I'm an absolute sucker for a good soundtrack.) It's one of the best escapist films I've ever seen. And if you haven't seen it - gee, I think you should. :-)

Apart from the delayed start (and the cool breeze), the experience was excellent. Afterwards, we hardy souls who'd stayed paid our farewells, and scuttled off in our various directions home - for me, already way past my bedtime, fast was the key, so I made the short trot back to Bank, and got the Waterloo & City Line to Waterloo, just nicely in time for a train home. And boy was it good to get in from the cold!

Tonight, Ken's Events (and his sister group, London Art, Comedy & Culture Lovers) are off to another free concert at Canary Wharf - blues, this time. Well, free unless you go with them, in which case it's £2, if you haven't bought the membership card. Nothing to stop me going independently, of course - but you know, I think, after last night's privations, that I'll have a night off, rather than traipsing all the way across town - not like there'd be anyone there I know, anyway. Apart from Ken. I could do with a rest, a proper meal, and to put on a wash!

Tomorrow, however, I'm joining London Literary Walks for "The Pisarro Walk". I've just been with them once, but it was excellent - a different route from any followed by all the myriad of guided walks around town, an extremely knowledgeable guide, some literary content mixed in: and this one is around my old stamping ground, the very first place I stayed in London - starting near Stamford Brook! Not that far from where I am now, and it'll be fascinating to see a new side to the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment