Thursday 28 July 2016

Play: Taming of the Shrew

The Man with the Hat has been doing something a bit different this year (apart from varying his hats). He's been organising two outings to each of his shows in the Globe. Well, I was to be glad of it for the Taming of the Shrew, since I couldn't make the first of his trips to that.. his second outing was last night, and I was delighted to book it.

I couldn't avoid going to Guildford, but although I always worry about making it back in time to get to the Globe, I haven't had an issue yet, always making it in time to catch the bus. And I seem to be leading a charmed existence in that respect - yesterday was the second time in a row that it arrived just when I did. And thus did I arrive at the Globe in plenty of time to collect my ticket, bringing the rain as I came. (Sorry..)

Got a front-row ticket for once, which was nice!


No, I wasn't out there - that would be the London for Less than a Tenner group. I had a seat, with Let's do London - for less! Great to be so close to the stage.. without having to stand.. the more so when that rain came back, with a vengeance. Just as well the Globe offers rain smocks (you can't use an umbrella as a groundling, not during the performance, anyway):


Someone remarked afterwards that it was so humid that they were uncomfortable to wear - although they could soon be taken off, as the rain dissipated. I wonder whether that's why the entire cast left the putting-on of their shoes until they were ready to start (more curiosities in what is a year of weird and wonderful stage productions, here):


Now, I'd heard tell that this production of the play was set in Ireland. Indeed, the blurb about it on the Globe's own website had it set during the Easter Rising. And they should know - certainly, the players were Irish, the costumes were of the time - no sign of any actual fighting, but I suppose, in this centenary year, that was their inspiration. Of course, the show started with some Irish music - a flute and a bodhrán, and for the second piece, a remix of the Cúilin.

Gotta say, I've never seen Shakespeare done in an Irish setting before, and I thought it worked a treat! Certainly, the comedy fitted nicely.. I could easily believe the characters came from Dublin, for all the talk of Padua and Mantua. And the wedding was a fine example of an Irish hooley. Why, they even threw in a cúpla focal of Irish:
  • Gabh mo leithscéal (excuse me)
  • Maith thú (good on ya!)
  • Go raibh maith agat (thank you)
  • Céad míle fáilte (100,000 welcomes).. this last in response to "go raibh maith agat" - whereas the response should have been "(tá) fáilte romhat" (you're welcome). So a bit of a play on words there.
Here endeth the lesson. Anyway, in a nice comedic touch, Hortensio's wife, despite having virtually no lines for the entire thing, keeps appearing on the sidelines, stealing the show with a "hmph!", or smoking a ciggie. Bianca is nicely played as a little bit two-faced, playing up to her father while sneering at her sister. Speaking of whom, Aoife Duffin played a blinder as the half-cracked redhead, Catherine. What a pity, that for the single character required to sing solo, she couldn't hold a note. Star of the show for a number of us, however, was Petruchio, played with a swagger by the Corkman, Edward MacLiam. (Thought I detected a slight Cork lilt, all right..)

Yep, a good show - and we had some discussion afterwards about the misogyny of Petruchio's treatment of Catherine after they are married. Despite this, we enjoyed it - and as the sun went down..


..and at the end of the play, they sang a song to the tune of The Parting Glass.

Our parting glass was had in the Swan, where we shared a table with Globe staff, and fought for service amid a scrum at the bar. Confusing menu, by the way - large glasses of wine are not advertised, and it wasn't until someone beside me ordered one that I realised they offered them. £8.50, if you're interested - just ask.

Well, I'm back to Ireland this evening for an extended stay - weekend flights at this time of year are expensive, dontcha know? Back on Wednesday of next week, and that Thursday (4th August) I'm off to Shakespeare's Avengers Assembleth: Age of Oberon, at Theatre N16. Got a cheap ticket, and frankly this was the closest of what I was looking at. Might drive - it's a quick one, quite local, and there should be parking on nearby residential streets. Then I'm off to Helen's for the weekend - she's got a big bash planned, with an Alice in Wonderland theme! (Costume currently hanging on my door, thank you..) And on Monday 8th, why, I'm back with the Man with the Hat.. we're off to see Gladiator, in an outdoor screening at the Guildhall, with a visit to the Roman amphitheatre underneath first.

No comments:

Post a Comment