Tuesday 5 July 2016

Musical: Kinky Boots

March, I booked Kinky Boots.. I was already looking ahead to July, and Meetup was offering nothing for last night - not so early - so I browsed around and that's what I came up with. Amazon did the cheapest tickets for last night, at the time, so I booked with them.

..and all I had to do was remember I was going! The fact that I'm going to another musical tonight did help. I worked from home, and had all day to get there - so naturally, I cut it fine. Cheapest and easiest would have been to get the 87 from the end of my road all the way to the Adelphi. In fact, I did make my way to the bus stop - JUST in time to watch the bus pulling away. The helpful LCD display said the next 87 was due in six minutes.. now, given that you tend to have to add 15 minutes to Google Maps' estimate in general anyway, if travelling at a busy time (such as this) means I wasn't best happy at waiting, even such a little time. I'd noted the fastest route as well - train to Waterloo, Northern Line to - must have been Charing Cross.

I was right beside Clapham Junction station, so made my way in - I hadn't noticed the next London departure, so just made my way along to Platform 10, where a train was due, according to the departure board for the platform. Sure enough, it pulled in as I climbed the stairs, and I made it on - for once. On the train, I checked where to go from Charing Cross.. it would be a right. My phone battery is wrecked, but works for short periods. At Waterloo, I took the handy stairs for the Underground, leading from the middle of the platform, and after much, much walking I got to the Northern Line - it's no distance from there to Charing Cross, where I discovered several exits. Exit 9 for Strand (North Side) was the one I took, skirting the homeless people bedded down at Exits 7 & 8.

Since I was now on the other side of the road, it was a left when I got above ground - just 20 minutes after I'd dithered at the bus stop. In fact, I could see the Kinky Boots sign from there, and a short walk got me to the theatre. Where I discovered two doormen, manning two doors - one with a queue, one without. I figured one was for collection (which I needed), one for people who already had their tickets - scanning the (very long) queue, I saw people with tickets, so made my way to the other door, where he briefly checked my bag, and I was in. And then it turned out the box office was to the right, where the long queue was..! (Well, he never asked which I wanted).

I'm not quite sure how the queueing system was working, but I managed to nip in at the end of a short queue for the box office, gave my name to the slightly flustered attendant (they really need to introduce Print at Home, give them a break), and soon had my ticket. A long, long climb to the Upper Circle followed, where I came across two ushers who knew what section I was in, but not which was my row. It turned out to be the very back one - quite central, though. So there I was, top of the house, right under the rafters. No armrests, and with an apparently full house, it ended up being a bit snug - to the sides; legroom, however, was fine - for me at least. They have binoculars to hire for £1 if you want, but I found the view perfectly adequate - and with no-one behind us, we felt free to lean as required: which it hardly was. A couple of men in my row stood for periods - but they probably felt a lack of legroom.

Well, this show is obviously enduring popular - as I say, the house was packed: on a Monday! There was an amusing intro, one of the cast coming on to take a fake call on his mobile, just to remind people to turn them off. And yes, he's dead right - what idiot thought "vibrate" mode was a form of "silent"?!

Music and lyrics by Cyndi Lauper. Hmm.. I believe this has won Oliviers, but the start just did nothing for me. Rather frantic running around, scene changes, too much exposition, too much time passes in the first five minutes! Plus our hero, Charlie, heir to the ailing Northampton shoe factory, I'm afraid I just found dull. And the opening numbers, now that I listen to them again, are as monotonous as I thought they were last night. Not what you'd call catchy. If I came across them on the radio, I'd change channel.

Where the show comes into its own is with the fabulously OTT Lola, the drag queen that provides the inspiration for a new range of footwear that can revitalise the factory's business. No wonder he steals the entire thing - it's Chiwetel Ejifor. And my, can he rock those outfits! Several outfit changes, different wigs, and those blingy thigh-high boots. He owns the stage, strutting around, singing, dancing.. he and his ladies are an absolute joy, and the secret of the show's success. Well worth checking out this show, if only for them and their eye-catching outfits.

The more they're on stage, the more entertaining it gets. Apart from them, the only setpiece I really enjoyed was Lauren's solo, about her disastrous love life. Mind you, there were plenty around me who adored the whole thing - as usual, it's subjective. No memorable numbers though, nothing you'd come out singing. Hey-ho, I did think it was worth going to - for a reasonably priced ticket. And for once, it was nice not to be starving at the interval, and buying their overpriced treats!

On my way out, it was hard not to fall over people taking photos of the iconic sign. I decided to take the bus back - traffic would be lighter now. And from the stop across the road, I was tempted to take a photo myself - but of course, my phone was dead. Home nice and quickly, but not early enough to blog, given that I'm in Guildford again today..


Tonight, as I say, I'm headed to another musical - Motown, the Musical, at the Shaftesbury Theatre. Same bus route, even the same stop - if I have time - just a slightly longer walk. Best value in that case was from the venue itself. And I've already had a couple of emails from them, reminding me to print my ticket. Well, now I have!

Speaking of value, tomorrow I'm headed to the National, to see a reading of Stuff Happens, with Bill Nighy. Also in the room will be London Dramatic Arts, who are charging £2.50 more than the standard £10 for this production. It's been a while since I went with them - and at this rate, it'll be a while longer! Anyway, I've booked a seat upstairs, where hopefully I'll avoid them, considering they do still have a seat available. (Pure badness of me to book at all, I know, but it sounds good.)


In complete contrast, I'm with the Man with the Hat on Thursday and Friday. Thursday is back to the Globe (whoopee!) for a performance of Macbeth that didn't get a great review in the Metro. What the hey, I don't pay much attention to those - and it'll be a great night anyway - great venue, great group. And on Friday, he's taking us back to the Royal Opera House, for Il Trovatore. On Saturday, the plan is to do.. something.. with Helen. TBD.

No comments:

Post a Comment