Wednesday 6 July 2016

Motown, the Musical

Second night in a row at a musical in the West End, second night in a row that the handiest and cheapest way there (if not exactly the quickest) was the 87 bus. And last night I was in good time, and caught the bus nice and early on what was a beautiful, sunny evening.

..and then we were unceremoniously dumped at Vauxhall. I don't know why, but our bus was going no further. We did get vouchers for onward bus travel (valid within 60 minutes). As we waited, with no sign of another bus going our way, I noted the location of the Underground steps, just behind me, and determined that I'd take that instead, if nothing had come by 7. I consoled myself that I was still in good time - it was only 6:40 when we arrived at Vauxhall.

..and it was 6:50 by the time anything came - and this an 88. There was a rush of people for it - seeing that it stopped at Trafalgar Square, and with no 87 in sight, I thought I'd better join them. Figured I could walk from there. In retrospect, I should've just taken the Tube.. Traffic was awful, both around Parliament Square and around Trafalgar. When we finally did creep around the corner to the stop, it was at the wrong end of the square.. then I wasn't entirely sure of my route to Shaftesbury Avenue, or how far along the Shaftesbury Theatre was. The sun in my eyes, and tourists in my way, did not make for an easy walk - although it should have been pleasant, along the back streets of the West End, sunlight filtering through the trees. At least there were plenty of street maps dotted along my way.

It was quite a ways, and just after 7:30 (start time) as I crossed the road to the theatre (in some relief). Some people had just walked into the theatre before me - always reassuring - and I managed to grab an usher all of my own, who led me straight up (lots of) stairs to my seat. As she sped upstairs (and I panted after), she reassured me that it had only just started; indeed, I could hear singing as we climbed. She also reassured me that I was at the end of the row - so I wouldn't be disturbing anyone.

:-) Didn't quite work out that way - there was some confusion on the part of the group of four, one of whom was occupying my seat. She had to persuade them all to move one to the right - and finally, I plonked myself down, to the strains of a Motown tune I didn't recognise, courtesy of a group of smartly suited men onstage. My seat, although in the top level and right at the end, had a good view, and plenty of legroom - not to mention a handy floorspace to the side for my stuff:



Ah now, this is more like what you want for a musical. And what an idea for a musical! The history of Motown.. gee, just get a cast to recreate the greatest hits. That'll more than fill a couple of hours - and who doesn't love Motown?! With a smattering of the politics of the time - race riots, the assassinations of JFK and MLK, and Vietnam - the re-enactments are spectacular. Get to know Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder - and the wonderful impressions of Diana Ross and, particularly, a young Michael Jackson, appearing with the Jackson 5.

I nipped to the toilet at the interval - just beating most of the queue - and on the cubicle door, was amused to see a warning notice. "Please remember - it's 'Dancing in the Streets', not dancing in your seat!" and also admonishing us, although they realised there were many budding Diana Rosses amongst us, please not to sing along unless invited to. Heh - they could hardly stop us.. I defy anyone who loves music not to join in: clapping, swaying, foot-stamping.. the packed house was jiving for the whole show. And yes, we were invited to join in, finally, in the second half - beware if you're sitting in the front stalls (right).. and we merrily jumped up for a sing-along/clap-along at the end.

Fantastic show - one of the best in London right now. Go see, for goodness' sake - currently booking until 28 October next year. And this is one for which booking is required.

A much shorter walk through Covent Garden got me back to the 87 bus route, and I got home without further incident - but, being in Guildford again today, not early enough to blog. Tonight, I'm headed to the National, to see a reading of Stuff Happens, with Bill Nighy - about the lead-up to the Iraq war: topical, what with the results of the inquiry being released
. Also in the room will be London Dramatic Arts, who are charging £2.50 more than the standard £10 for this production. It's been a while since I went with them - and at this rate, it'll be a while longer! Anyway, I've booked a seat upstairs, where hopefully I'll avoid them, considering they do still have a seat available. (Pure badness of me to book at all, I know, but it sounds good.) I tend to get the train there - it's quick and easy - but might get the bus this evening, for a change; seems the Waterloo stop is the terminus, so you get the bus back from the same place.

In complete contrast, I'm with the Man with the Hat on Thursday and Friday. Thursday is back to the Globe (whoopee!) for a performance of Macbeth that didn't get a great review in the Metro. What the hey, I don't pay much attention to those - and it'll be a great night anyway - great venue, great group. And on Friday, he's taking us back to the Royal Opera House, for Il Trovatore. And as is his wont, he's got photos up for both events of where he'll be standing, so we can find him. On Saturday, the plan is to do.. something.. with Helen. TBD.

No comments:

Post a Comment