Wednesday 20 July 2016

Concert: London Philharmonic

Scorchio! Hottest day of the year, yesterday, apparently. So when I noticed that Ken's Events (and one of his subsidiary groups, London Art, Comedy & Culture Lovers) were off to a free concert by London Philharmonic in Canada Square Park.. well, that sounded just perfect. Mind you, Ken was charging £2 extra for the privilege of going with him.

Hmm. You know, there are groups that would be worth the extra; regular readers will guess which groups I mean. Ken's groups just aren't worth it - well, not to me, at least. Of course, to a great extent it depends on whom you'd meet. So anyway, I decided to go - independently of Ken. Which would be easy enough - for the couple of times I've met him, I doubt he'd remember me. I also doubt I know anyone who would be signing up with him. And it was great when someone (whom I met through one of the groups that would be worth paying to go to..), upon hearing what I was up to, said she'd go too..

I was working from home, and had to nip out in the late afternoon to shop for food. Well, it was a good taster of the journey ahead of me - it was actually uncomfortably hot to breathe: so I did my shop in the closest place possible, making sure to include a cold drink for the journey. So, when I eventually set out, it was with a cold drink, and a hat for the sun.

Knowing my companion was going to get there before me (and also not wanting to spend more time on public transport than I had to, in this heat), the fastest option was required. So, train to Waterloo, Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf. Now, trains from Clapham Junction to Waterloo are generally very frequent on weekdays - one per minute, at least. So imagine my surprise to find that there wasn't one due for 10 minutes! From Platform 7, unusually - well, I dragged myself to that unfamiliar platform, only to have the display change after a few minutes, to show the next Waterloo train departing from Platform 10. Down the stairs again, up the stairs - not appreciated in the heat - and got there just in time for a Waterloo train. Thankfully - I don't know what the problem was, but there definitely was one, and I was glad to get out of there.

Also glad to get a seat, given the overheard remark of a disembarking passenger earlier that it was 40 degrees on the train. And so to Waterloo, and the Jubilee Line - where I didn't get a seat - and into baking heat at Canary Wharf. Must be all that concrete and glass - temperatures are always more extreme out here, either too hot or too cold. And, as usual, I was completely lost - despite having printed a map of the short walk to Canada Square Place. See, skyscrapers all look pretty much the same, if you're not on first name terms with them, and there are almost no other landmarks. One map I found actually pointed me in the wrong direction! No, the only way to find your way, out here, is with GPS. Get your phone out, open a maps app.

Wandering around confused on hot concrete isn't a great way to spend your time, and while I was - and just before I found my way - I got a text from my companion to say she was utterly lost, too. Mind you, that had been some minutes before, when I was underground and couldn't receive it - and by the time I arrived, relieved, at the stage, she'd plonked herself on the verge of the grassy bit, near the front to the left of the stage. Good location-spotting: we were also just in front of the large screen, to the side of the stage:



(Isn't it nice I have a working camera again?) Anyway, she'd also obligingly brought nibbles! Well, Ken had advised his attendees to bring a picnic - I just hadn't really had the opportunity to shop for it. Good one - I must return the favour. As for the official rules about not bringing glass - rubbish, there were tons of bottles of prosecco around (and no officials in sight anyway). In fact, there was a marquee bar a short distance behind us, selling bottles of prosecco doubtless.. and as for the furniture ban, it only applies on the grass.. put your garden furniture on any spare patch of concrete you can find.

When I arrived, the orchestra were actually playing - despite it not being anywhere near time. Turns out they were rehearsing - in their summer clothes. Sure enough, when it came to time (well, slightly after), out they came again in evening dress. As my companion remarked, the ladies had it easier - they could wear strappy dresses. Although the gents did forego their jackets - with the exception of the conductor, who valiantly wore a tailcoat throughout.

The repertoire for the evening was the Barber of Seville Overture, followed by Mozart's Symphony #40 in G Minor, and, after the interval, Beethoven's 5th Symphony. All widely known and popular pieces, and it was lovely to see the City workers coming out to enjoy them.



And while some bored teenagers present had obviously been dragged along, it was a joy to see those with a real love for the music, absolutely enthralled. And it's a lovely thing, to bring the Arts to this expanse of concrete and glass..






Afterwards, we made our (mostly separate) ways home, noting what a short and easy walk it is in the other direction, from Canada Square Park to Canary Wharf Station! It helps that you can see the Underground roundel almost immediately..

From Waterloo, I took the bus home, since the concert had finished so early (by 9), and since it was now cool enough to risk it - and all along the way, could see folks in their lightest summer clothes, and still looking sweaty and uncomfortable. Still didn't get home early enough to blog, given that I'm in Guildford today, and I've now made it a general principle, I think, to come earlier and leave earlier - the traffic is unbelievably lighter!


Tonight, the Man with the Hat is off to Top Secret again: and so am I. For tomorrow, I got a cheap ticket to a magic show; Champions of Magic is showing in Logan Hall. Mind you, I'd just booked the thing when I got an email from ShowFilmFirst, offering free tickets..! And on Friday, Helen and I are off - again with cheap tickets - to the Best of Bare Essentials, a set of short plays by new writers, showing in the Seven Dials Comedy Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment