Wednesday 29 June 2016

Film: Udta Punjab

Film again last night, and top of my (now-completed - whee!) film list was Udta Punjab. If you remember, it was only on quite late at my local cinema last week - and being typically long, as Bollywood films tend to be, that wasn't an option for a worknight. However, this week, for whatever reason, it's showing at a much more respectable 7:30 - and I booked, which is cheaper (assuming you've registered for a free Cineworld account).

Just as well that my plan was for somewhere local, quick to get to, and not too early - we left Guildford late, and traffic was bad: and with a package to pick up, which Amazon had kindly let me know was deposited with a neighbour - I was just home in time to leave again. Got a parking space decently close to the exit - Cineworld Wandsworth validates parking from 7pm to 2am at the Garratt Lane Car Park, which makes it very convenient to drive.

As usual, the left-hand door to the screens - which would have been handier for me - was unstaffed, and I had to use the other one: but never mind. I arrived during the trailers, and took my seat in an uncrowded cinema. I swiftly learned that the title is Hindi for "Punjab flying high". And it's about the effects of the heroin trade in Punjab. A disclaimer at the start makes it VERY clear that the drug is not manufactured there, only trafficked through. And, of course, that they don't condone drug abuse..

Three connected stories form the basis of the plot. As I recall, the trailer was primarily focussed on one in particular - the drug-abusing rock star whose hit "Udta Punjab" is one of many songs he uses to promote drug abuse. (Can't check that just now, the trailer doesn't seem to be working.) Anyway, his character entertains us comically for much of the film. But there's also the young girl who works in the fields, and one day finds something that opens her eyes to the drug world.. and then there's the cop, who crosses the path of a doctor that runs a drug treatment clinic, and who really opens his eyes..

I got some ribbing yesterday when I said I was off to a Bollywood film. "Oh," said one, "I just don't like the way they break into singing and dancing in the middle." I tried to convince him that they don't all pan out that way, but I don't think I succeeded. Having said that, there is a bit of singing and dancing in this - not traditional, but of course we do get to see a bit of this rock star in concert. Otherwise, this is a dance-free zone. I'll say this - I love Bollywood for its sensitive treatment of its characters, who are richly drawn, and each of whom we're made to care about.

In this film, our attention is split three ways - which allows the telling of a very complex story; they're obviously trying to cover the whole spectrum of drug use and its consequences. The rich user, the poor user, the people sucked into it unwillingly, the families, the people trying to stop it, the drug lords and their minions. And it's told extremely well. The individual stories are engaging, the rock star's antics are entertaining. And, as I said, we do care about the characters. However, with the splitting of our attention in three different directions, I do think it loses a bit of focus. Had the rock star been a bit less cartoonish, this might have been a fantastic film - certainly, I was absorbed by the other characters, in particular Alia Bhatt, who plays an absolute blinder as the young girl, terrified in a world of drugs. But at the very least, it's interesting, and worth a look.

Tonight, Helen couldn't make it, so her husband is accompanying me to a Funzing talk on How to Fly First Class for Free. Mind you, I signed up to it via one of their Meetup groups - London Speaks Sessions. It's at Café 1001 on Brick Lane, so we can grab a bite to eat there.

Tomorrow, no fewer than four Meetup events were advertising a comedy night in Hammersmith. With John Hastings as the headliner, I was keen - and, it being free, I've signed up for all four! So that's Random London, London Live Comedy, and two (for goodness' sake!) from Funzing's other Meetup group (that I know of) - London for a Tenner or Less. I think the two non-Funzing groups are actually run by the same guy.. so if you will duplicate, well, so can I!

Back to Ireland for the weekend, and next week is all mapped out - first time in a while that's happened. On Monday, I'm finally gong to Kinky Boots, in the Adelphi. Got my ticket on an Amazon offer - always, always shop around for the big shows. On Tuesday, similarly, I'm headed (finally) to Motown, the Musical, at the Shaftesbury Theatre. Best value in that case was from the venue itself.

Speaking of value, on Wednesday I'm headed to the National, to see a reading of Stuff Happens, with Bill Nighy. Also in the room will be London Dramatic Arts, who are charging £2.50 more than the standard £10 for this production. It's been a while since I went with them - and at this rate, it'll be a while longer! Anyway, I've booked a seat upstairs, where hopefully I'll avoid them. (Pure badness of me to book at all, I know, but it sounds good.)

In complete contrast, I'm with the Man with the Hat on Thursday and Friday. Thursday is back to the Globe (whoopee!) for a performance of Macbeth that didn't get a great review in the Metro. What the hey, I don't pay much attention to those - and it'll be a great night anyway - great venue, great group. And on Friday, he's taking us back to the Royal Opera House, for Il Trovatore.

No comments:

Post a Comment