Friday 24 June 2016

Film: The Conjuring 2

Film is an attractive option, if nothing else is jumping out at me. And The Conjuring 2 has terrific reviews, and a great rating on IMDB - especially considering it's a horror film, which generally means a much lower rating.

Now, I couldn't just go out and see that. O no, I was supposed to do a film list, checking the IMDB ratings of all films showing. Thing was, by yesterday evening, my list had only got up to "Bas".. by the time I finished it, I wouldn't have had time to go to anything! I compromised - I'd do the ratings for the films showing in my local cinema.

That took me just over half an hour. Yes, The Conjuring 2 was playing there. Yes, it was very highly rated. Thing was, there was one film rated higher - but Utda Punjab wasn't showing until 9, and therefore would be over late.. and I'm in Guildford today.. :-) I had my excuse. It'd taken me ages to get back, what with traffic jams caused by floods from the previous night's torrential rain. Several roads closed - so by the time I got back and rated all the films, it was 7:40. But the film wasn't showing until 8:15! (I'd still been on the road at the time of the earlier showing.) Perfect - I booked (cheaper).

The drive usually takes me 10 minutes - last night, with the traffic all backed up, it took me 25. What the hey, one of the advantages of mainstream cinema is you don't have to be there on time. For once, I hadn't printed out my ticket - I usually do that at the office, but since I'd just booked it that evening, it was handier just to collect it from a machine, using my payment card. Then had to queue to buy a packet of Minstrels, for dinner.

When I got in, they were showing trailers - most I wouldn't be bothered with.. but the last was for Lights Out. Ooh now, that made me sit up. Appropriately included in the trailers for this, as it's co-produced by James Wan, who directed both The Conjuring 2 and its predecessor, The Conjuring. I know it, however, from the short YouTube film of the same name. This is part of the Ponysmasher channel, run by the Swedish director, David F. Sandbergh, and his wife, Lotta Losten, who stars in his films. Sure enough, I knew they'd moved to LA.. A collaboration between them and James Wan is, potentially, the dream team for horror fans. Anyway, this is due for release next month - and, for the moment at least, incredibly highly rated! One to watch. Also check out that YouTube channel - packed full of inventive, short horror films, with accompanying films to show how they were made! (Generally involving the innovative use of IKEA products.)

Well! After that, we were straight into the main feature. I absolutely love James Wan's films - he has a real feel for psychological horror, employing yes, jump scares, but innovative ones. He knows what you expect - and plays with those expectations. Arguably the best horror director working at the moment - and his rough edges are smoothing, too. At the start of this film, he reminds us of the involvement of paranormal investigators Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine (Vera Farmiga) Warren in the Amityville haunting. And we're introduced to the creepiest demon I've seen in a while.

But mostly, this film concerns itself with the Enfield haunting. The events as depicted did, apparently, happen - a single mother and her four children (the eldest in her early teens) find themselves terrorised by a poltergeist. The Warrens are called in - and both before and after their arrival, we are subjected to an increasingly terrifying range of happenings, the fear factor ramped up until I found myself riveted to the screen. Visually stunning. Very highly recommended.

Home (much faster), bed, Guildford. I don't normally come down on Fridays, but today, sadly, is Helen's last day with us. :-(  So we had lunch at Heart and Soul, where they were decently prompt with the food - and I can highly recommend the garlic bread. We're back there again for drinks this evening - not too many for me, I have to drive home. Tomorrow, the Man with the Hat is taking his other group - Let's Do London - for Less! to Nabucco, with Plácido Domingo, at the Royal Opera House. Another huge group, God love him - the Opera House always draws a crowd. And with renovations there, and some entrances being closed, he's posted a picture on the Meetup page of where he'll stand to give us our tickets! Aw gee..

No comments:

Post a Comment