Saturday 14 May 2016

Play: Blue / Orange

London Dramatic Arts, two nights in a row. Well, for them it was - me, I got a cheaper ticket myself for tonight from the venue. Which meant - given their great dismay when I do that - that I had to avoid them. Such fun! Well, the Young Vic sounded ok for purposes of avoiding people - it's quite chaotic! Anyway, I booked a cheap ticket upstairs, and figured they'd go downstairs.

It really doesn't take long to get there from here - Google Maps estimated 20 minutes, and even allowing for optimism on their part, it wasn't going to take very long. Train to Waterloo - and of course, there's generally at least one per minute passing through Clapham Junction - exit to Waterloo Road, hang a right, left at the Old Vic and keep going - it's a short way down, on the left. I remember being astonished to find how close together they were - can happen in London, where people are so used to travelling by Tube, and lose their bearings overground.

I had about five minutes to go to show time.. this was deliberate, since I guessed that LDAM would have gone in. So I collected my ticket at the box office. I expected to go upstairs, and was surprised when I was directed to the ground floor entrance - sure enough, my ticket said to enter at ground level. Well hey, I joined the queue - and rapidly un-joined it when I spotted the organiser! Quick retreat, excusing myself past people, pretending I was looking for someone at the door. I then re-joined the end of the queue, and thankfully saw no more of her.

There's only one row on the "upper" level, which is separated from the main seating simply by a rail. And boy, is it snug! I was glad my seat was only two from the end, so I didn't have to push past too many people. Of course, the seating is on benches for two, and awkwardly, the couple beside me were on different benches, leaving me with him on the same bench. Ah well, you do get to know people that way.. it was something of a nightmare when people wanted to push past, though - there's hardly any room! During the performance I was at a loss what to do with my legs, which were dangling uncomfortably from the high bench - until I found a pipe running along the back of the seats in the row in front, on which I could rest my toes. Which gave some relief.

Four characters in last night's play, only three actors in tonight's: a patient in a mental hospital, his doctor, and the doctor's supervisor. The patient is a volatile chap, due for release today - except his doctor doesn't think he should go. The doctor is worried by the patient's paranoia, and particularly by his delusions - for instance, that the oranges in the bowl on the table are blue (hence the title - Blue / Orange). He asks his supervisor to observe the interview, to confirm his diagnosis - but is surprised by his superior's reaction.

The senior consultant asks his junior to consider that the patient's reactions may be a result of his social background. The patient claims to be the son of Idi Amin.. sounds weird, but gradually becomes more plausible. Maybe this is a case of injustice, of misunderstanding because of different social backgrounds?

But there are other issues here.. the senior consultant is writing a book on the connection between psychosis and race, and thinks that this black patient would be an excellent case study. He reminds his junior of the lack of beds in the hospital, of the danger of institutionalisation if this poor man is kept in for too long. And as the play progresses, and the junior insists that the man needs help and should be sectioned, we come to see other forces at work.

It's a fascinating study of the mental health service, of race, and of politics - compelling throughout, convincingly acted, and with its funny moments too. I was really impressed - although I did wonder just how many oranges they're going through in this production! Runs until 2 July - booking recommended, tonight's show was practically sold out.

Try as I might, I couldn't see the group. At the interval, I stuck to my seat, and was really jealous of the ice creams most people brought back with them. And then I saw the group - for goodness' sake, they were only a row in front of me, on the other side! For that, the venue was charging from £20, to be a row closer than I was for £10. Even though the group's tickets were discounted, I was glad I hadn't taken one of theirs. Jeez, my view for £10 was fine, and I was only slightly uncomfortable with where to put my feet.. really, go for "Upstairs" for this show, you won't regret it.

I was glad of the poor lighting at my level, which would have made it hard to spot me. As the actors were taking their bows, I made a bolt for it, and managed to scuttle out the door and back to the station without seeing any of them. I don't have anything else arranged to go to that they're also going to, although I'm sure it'll happen eventually - certainly adds a layer of drama to the evening, having people to avoid!

Tomorrow, I'm on my first walk of the year (finally) - Free London Events and Talks has a walk entitled Fire, Pestilence and Plague. It's supposed to stay fine, thankfully. And I just today found out that someone else I know is going on the same walk - so that'll be nice, for once I'll have someone to talk to, in this group!

On Monday, Henning from the London European Club is running a topical talk on UK and the EU - A Troubled Relationship, at the Devereux - deja vu, my very first Meetup with him was a talk at the same place. Should be interesting, what with the referendum coming up next month.

On Tuesday, the Man with the Hat is taking Let's Do London - for less! to see Last of the Boys, at Southwark Playhouse - indeed, he's also got a bunch of them going to the other show there, The Toxic Avenger, the same night! I've already seen that one, of course. And I can guarantee attendees a great night..

On Wednesday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, at The Forge, for a storytelling evening entitled The Howken Field, by Nick Hennessy.

On Thursday, I'm with Henning again, who's headed to a mixed bill by Nederlands Dans Theater, at Sadler's Wells. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment