Saturday 28 May 2016

Exhibition: Sicily - Culture and Conquest

The most interesting thing for today came courtesy of the London European Club, who were off to an exhibition in the British Museum, entitled "Sicily: Culture and Conquest". Promising to tell the history of the island's various conquests through the ages, it sounded fascinating - this must be one of the most fought-over pieces of land in the world, and I've always been interested in its history. Booking was advised, so book I did. Seemed to be a good idea, as messages started to come through from people who'd found it had sold out.

Was up quite late last night, so getting up today in time to get to the 2 o' clock slot we'd been asked to book for was a trial. Google Maps said that I could get two buses, but I'd have to catch the first before 1 - and I don't really trust their journey time estimates anyway. With time running on, I decided to look up the quickest route - train to Waterloo, then pick up the 188 from Stop K, which turns out to be further up Waterloo Road, past C, F, and H.

Ironically, as I passed the bus stop, the bus I'd have had to catch was pulling away anyway, so I'd have missed it. At Clapham Junction, the "Next London Departures" board said the next train to Waterloo was leaving in three minutes from Platform 10. By the time I got to Platform 10, the board there said the train was due, and as I huffed to the top of the stairs, indeed it was pulling in. I think those boards need to communicate better with each other.. At Waterloo, checking the map at the bus stop, I saw that at least half a dozen buses went where I needed to go - as it happened, the 188 pulled up shortly afterwards anyway.

Alighting at "Theobald's Road / Southampton Row", my directions were simple: straight ahead to Russell Square, then left, right, left, (north) entrance on the left. (The British Museum isn't right beside any bus stops.) Mind you, looking at the map more closely now, I think I'd have been better served to go left a bit earlier, onto Great Russell Street, where the main entrance is anyway, which is closer to the exhibition.

Inside, I was a bit early, and parched - no breakfast, you see. So I visited the small café to the side, and for £1.90 got myself a small bottle of water and a temporary seat. Drank that and made my way in - there'd been no mention of meeting the group beforehand, and I couldn't see anyone that looked as though they were in it. No indication of where this exhibition was on - signs advertising it had no mention of what room it was in. I made my way through an exhibition hall:


..and into the Grand Court, which I figured was the best idea, at least because it had an information desk. It's a magnificent space:


A large, white lobby, roofed in glass, with a magnificent portico at the main entrance (pictured), desks around the edges, and a café in the corner:


In the centre is an enormous, oval structure, with stairs on two sides. With a queue at the ticket desk, I asked at the information desk, where he explained that it was up the stairs, first door on the right:


Whew! what an entrance. Well, I made my way up there, and handed my ticket to the lady at the desk that was at the door. There was some confusion - my name wasn't on the list. Upon closer inspection.. I'd booked the wrong day! Consternation - no wonder it'd been so easy. Well, after a moment's deliberation, they let me in anyway. Phew.

Sadly, they don't allow photography inside - although that didn't stop the organiser of today's Meetup, who's posted some photos on the Meetup page. I don't think she was the only one breaking the rules, of course. It's a beautiful exhibition - centuries of conquest led to a fantastic mix of cultures. My personal favourite were the Grecian pieces - but they had Phoenician, then Roman, then Arab, then the Normans, who integrated with the existing Arab culture in the most intriguing ways. Several of the pieces reflect the island's rich mythology. There are timelines, plenty of explanations, snippets from ancient texts - I chuckled at one they'd singled out, in which the Sicilians described Britain as a fertile island, but shrouded in perpetual winter. And all the way though, huge photographs of parts of Sicily, making me nostalgic for the Med - it's been a while!

Gorgeous. After a brief spell in the dedicated gift shop at the end, I pushed the door open and came out at the stairs on the other side. Sure enough, no sign of the group - I'd suspected there wouldn't be, given how vague the instructions were (they'd meet at the exit - but at what time?). I don't know anyone who was to be there today, I couldn't see anybody gathering in a group - I took myself off. Reading the conversation on the page now, it seems they met beforehand rather than after (?) at 1.55, although how the person that said that found out is a mystery to me. What the hey, some organisers are like that. I am grateful to have been alerted to the exhibition. Recommended, for history buffs - runs till the 14 August, booking essential at the weekends.

I could've eaten at the café, but it was quite busy and I headed home instead - once I got out of the place; it was easy enough to find the main entrance, but unfortunately the main entrance has a large flight of steps leading up to it, with handrails only at the edges. And, of course, on a sunny, warm afternoon such as this was, handrails at the edge of steps attract tourists, who sit right there to consume their drinks and ice creams. So I couldn't use the handrails, and given my steps phobia, I couldn't get down the steps at all. Had to make my way back to the other entrance and walk all the way around again - but it is a beautiful stroll, on a sunny day. Made my way to Bloomsbury Place, where I caught the 38. A slow journey through the West End took us to Victoria, where I rounded the corner and caught the 44 home.

And so to tomorrow.. whose most interesting offering turns out to be from the Arts, Culture and Alternative Events group, who are headed to Symphony to a Lost Generation, the world's first fully holographic theatre show. A tribute to the dead of the First World War, I do believe I've seen a ballet on the theme - but it was good, and this should be interesting. And the group has a discount code, which is much appreciated. And it's another matinee.. ah well, I should get to bed earlier tonight! What are the odds I meet any of the group..?

No comments:

Post a Comment