Thursday 14 April 2016

Film: The Man Who Knew Infinity

Another film for me last night - which is great, really! I do like to keep up with what's coming out. Three were tied at the top of the list - the most interesting sounded to be The Man Who Knew Infinity. Goodness, another biography of a mathematician.. anyway, handily, as so often lately, it's showing in my local cinema. Terrific - I know the way, and can drive, with free parking from 7 - so I booked (because it's cheaper) and chose the late showing (8:30).

Now, booking in advance, you need to take the barcode with you, to be scanned. Well, or pick up the ticket at the cinema with your payment card - but I do like to have the barcode, it saves time. Unfortunately, my phone needed charging, so I couldn't take it - and I was dubious about printing out the ticket, which I usually do, after the trouble I had with the printer the day before. Strangely, though, no trouble with printing this email! Must just have been an issue with printing a web page..

Despite ominous signs about road works and diversions, none were in evidence on my short drive. I'd been relaxed about leaving, not wanting to get there too early, so I ended up arriving slightly after the advertised start time. No problem at all - I knew there'd be trailers. Now, there are two separate entrances from the lobby, depending what screen you're going to - but they never open the left-hand one. Which turned out to be awkward last night, as that was the side I needed. The usher did mention what screen I should head for, but not a word did she utter about where it was. Well, I figured I should head left - but it did take me some time to find Screen 6, at the very, very back..

Never mind, I got there. And, of course, my pre-assigned seat was occupied - by a coat: whose owner, in the next seat, looked anxiously in my direction as I approached. What the hey, I was happy to take the seat next to that - there was plenty of room, and why would I want to sit right next to a stranger when I didn't have to?

Some interesting trailers, particularly for Eye in the Sky, led us into the feature. The Man Who Knew Infinity is the true story of an Indian mathematician, Srinivasa Ramanujan (Dev Patel), practically entirely self-taught - who attracted the attention, first of the boss (Stephen Fry) in his packing company in Madras, who then suggested he contact G. H. Hardy (Jeremy Irons) at Cambridge. Hardy was so impressed by the new theorems that this unknown proposed, that he brought him over to Cambridge, where he remained for some years. We also meet Prof. Littlewoord (Toby Jones), a friend of Hardy's who also champions Ramanujan, and Bertrand Russell (Jeremy Northam), another colleague and friend. Padraic Delaney shows up as Hardy's manservant - a handy device to explain themes and theorems to the audience.

I've seen a few biographies of mathematicians at this stage - I've never seen one so moving. Dev Patel is endearing as the young Indian, travelling so far because that's what he needs to do, just to find someone who understands his work. Jeremy Irons is terrific as the prickly intellectual, describing his mentorship of Ramanujan as the one love affair of his life (no, not literally!). And it's a helluva story - imagine this young chap, obsessed with mathematics, who suddenly has all of this opened up to him! Getting out of the cab and staring, agog, at the ancient buildings.. starting his classes.. and also learning that he'll have trouble with his vegetarianism in this city of carnivores, and having to endure some terrible prejudices. In fact, there's a warning beforehand about racist language and behaviour.

Another thing that shone through from the film was a love of mathematics. Really, I had to chuckle at the scene where they decide we'd better learn something about what Ramanujan is up to, by having Hardy explain it to his manservant: "..even you can understand". We see plenty of equations throughout the film, although few are explained - but the passion of the characters for maths is undoubted. Reading the Wikipedia articles afterwards, you realise how much of the characters' quotes and actions are taken from real life. Frankly, a terrific introduction to the world of maths for people who aren't insiders. Recommended, for anyone who's ever thought the world of maths, or academia, interesting..

Back just in time to go to bed, seeing as how I'm in Guildford today. Tonight, I'm back with the London European Club - luckily, this time the organiser is Henning, whom I know, and know he'll make sure to find people. We're off to Sadler's Wells, which is a venue I really don't get to enough, and I relish an excuse. The show is She Said, featuring female choreographers. Looking forward to it.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Leicester Square Theatre, for a comedy show - Russell Kane: Right Man, Wrong Age.

On Saturday, I'm back with the Man with the Hat. Let's Do London - for less! are off to the ballet version of The Winter's Tale, in the Opera House. Sounds lovely.. and someone in the group just posted that they attended a performance of it on Tuesday, and it was sublime. :-) Augurs well.

On Sunday, I'm back to The Globe for the first time this year! (Well, the Wanamaker Playhouse.) Got the last, non-restricted view seat for Pericles. God, I love this venue..

On Monday, I'm off to my first Meetup with Interesting Talks London - Banged Up Abroad is the subject. Topical, what with the recent parole of an Irish girl convicted of drug trafficking in Peru.. early start, but it's near, so should be ok.

Tuesday and Wednesday are Man with the Hat days - Tuesday, Let's Do London - for less! is headed to Southwark Playhouse, for a play called Darknet. Now, I have more sense than to have anything to do with the real Darknet - the closest I've come to it are short horror films on YouTube. (In the course of my regular surfing for short horror films, of which I'm a big fan.) But I'll find this interesting.

On Wednesday of next week, both of the Man with the Hat's groups (Let's Do London - for less! and London for Less Than a Tenner) are off to a show called The Passion of Lady Vendredi, at Soho Theatre - and so am I. This was a recent development - I was originally supposed to be going to Doctor Faustus, with London Dramatic Arts Meetup, but sadly, the organiser's mother-in-law just died (as I found out over the weekend) and the funeral is that very day. Works out well for me though - the event has been rescheduled, at a cheaper price, the difference has been refunded to me, and I can now go to both shows! (So I'm going for Less Than a Tenner - 'coz I'm cheap.) The Passion of Lady Vendredi is, apparently, musical theatre, and designed to promote the music of the Lady Vendredi band. And should be interesting.

Next Thursday, I'm off to a comedy show in King's Cross, with London Live Comedy - unless I change my mind and go to a film - we'll see. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend, again..

No comments:

Post a Comment