Thursday 21 April 2016

Concert: Orchestral Masterworks

Today was one of those TBD days. I had RSVPed in the affirmative for a comedy show with London Live Comedy - but I don't know anyone in it, and it was all the way over in King's Cross. Well, I hadn't had to pay - so that was changeable. I thought I might go to a film, but nothing was jumping out at me. And then Kensington Classical Music advertised a concert in the Royal College of Music - not only was it close, but they were playing Prokofiev and - more importantly - Finlandia, which I love. Right then..

Now, I say they advertised it - that doesn't mean I went with them. For this event, they charged £2.50 over and above the more expensive ticket price - they were open about it, explaining that there was a £2.50 Meetup fee. Well, they are, of course, entitled to charge what they like - but frankly, it wasn't worth it to me. So I booked direct with the college, and determined to avoid them - got a Print at Home ticket so I wouldn't have to go to the box office.

Last time I did this, I ran right into the organiser after the concert. I hoped to have better luck this time.. Now, I knew I'd be getting a bus, but the funny thing about Google Maps - although they're very useful - is that the bus directions aren't always perfect. They told me I could get the 345 from the stop just up the road, or the 49 from further up.. rubbish, they both stop at the same stop. And as for having to get off the 49 at South Kensington.. I could get off closer to the college, at Queen's Gate Terrace.

As it happened, the first along was the 345, which I took. It was a lovely, sunny evening as we crossed into what I always call leafy West London, and travelled along streets that used to be more familiar to me than they are now. We were supposed to travel as far as the Natural History Museum - but sometimes buses terminate early, and this one did so at South Kensington. Never mind - I could see the museum over the rooftops, so knew where I was going, and had in mind that the later I arrived, the better - so that organiser wouldn't see me.

It was an easy walk - the college is around the back of the museum though, and it takes a while to walk around its bulk. Turn right onto Prince Consort Road, and it's on the right - the red building. By the time I got there, the audience had already gone in - an usher took me to the remaining open door, and I hurried to my seat as the orchestra was tuning up. We could hear the odd strain of piano playing in the distance - occupational hazard of a music college. Took me a while to spot the organiser, who was sat near the front, pretty much straight ahead of me. From the free programme I'd been given on the way in, I saw there was no interval - perfect! No extra chances to meet the group - and being in the very last row, near the door, I could make a fast getaway.

My view was fine, by the way - it's not a huge hall. And what excellent value these concerts are, for £5 (most seats). The running order was different to what was on the concert website - we started with the modern, award-winning piece - sorry, but unsurprisingly, I hated it. A 10-minute jangle of noise - I noticed one woman with her fingers in her ears. Why, oh why, are the modern pieces always so horrible..? It did occur to me to marvel that I'll accept one piece I don't like in a classical concert, but not one comedian I don't like in a comedy line-up.. but it is more annoying to be pissed off and have people laughing around you. If there was anyone there tonight who enjoyed the first piece, they kept it to themselves.

Prokofiev's First Violin Concerto was played by a soloist in a striking, scarlet evening dress, and was such a lovely change from the first piece. But Finlandia was, of course, my highlight - I love a bit of drama, and this piece nearly blew the roof off! It was over all too soon, and I beat a hasty retreat, and was one of the first to leave. The group were headed to a hotel - I didn't know which, but I figured it was in the opposite direction I was headed in, to catch the 49 - that stop was closer.

I had my phone on in case I needed directions, but it was quite easy - back along Prince Consort Road, left, first right onto Queen's Gate Terrace, left at the end. It wasn't long before a bus appeared - whose driver seemed to be in a hurry; it was positively dangerous to get up to leave the bus. But in due course I was deposited, safe and sound, at home.

Back to Ireland tomorrow.. but next week is all about Meetups! I was a bit lost for something to do on Monday - and then, pretty last-minute, London Speaks Sessions announced a talk - Where's Dean? 1 Man, 196 Countries, His Mission. Eh - and another, at the same time, in the same square, if not quite the same address: Life Without Rent: The Secrets of a Digital Nomad. They both link to the same Funzing page, so I figure it's the same thing - what the hey, the story of a man whose mission is to travel to all these countries is a story I wanna hear. I'm already loving his Facebook page.. So I've booked, and I'll believe Funzing's version of the address. I'm probably not going to make it much in advance anyway, so may not meet the group at all - I'll be in Guildford that day. Hey, Monday is becoming something of a day for talks, eh?!

On Tuesday, I'd booked to go to a talk again - and then the World Music Meetup stepped up with a free Spanish guitar concert! Aw man - you couldn't get better for me! There are some things that I love with a passion, and Spanish guitar is on that list. About two seconds' hesitation - what the hey, it is free. And although I'll be in Guildford again.. and it's in Shoreditch again.. it's on late, so I should be ok.

On Wednesday, I'm back with the Man with the Hat, who's taking Let's Do London - for less! to (ahem) The Toxic Avenger, in Southwark Playhouse. I predict another interesting night - no crystal ball required for that.

On Thursday, I'm back with London Dramatic Arts, for The Flick, at the Dorfman (in the National). Oh, and on Friday, they're off to Lawrence After Arabia, in Hampstead Theatre - I got cheaper from the theatre itself, so I'm going separately. They don't like that, but I have a seat upstairs, so it should be possible to avoid them - and, of course, having banned me from linking to this blog on their website, they're less likely to read the blog and find out what I'm doing..

No comments:

Post a Comment