Wednesday 2 March 2016

Film: Deadpool

Film yesterday - had it in mind to go to the Bafta-nominated shorts at the ICA, but between me first checking them at about 2 the day before - when there was no rush - and me checking them later, at about 11 - they were sold out. Bummer. Of course, the thing with films is, there's always another - undaunted, I moved on to the next on my list.. which was Deadpool. IMDB is rating it surprisingly high, for a film of this type - which is reason enough to go see it! Plus, the rating is holding..

I booked, it's cheaper to register on the website and book in advance, for Cineworld. The Cineworld Unlimited card, mind, would have been better value last month, and would be in general, if I could just guarantee I'd use it.. yes, that's now my closest cinema, but (a) I don't go to the cinema most days and (b) not usually mainstream - it's been unusual in that respect, lately. The card has a monthly fee, and you have to sign up for a year. Not practical for me. Anyway, I booked for last night - a showing late enough that I could avail of their validated parking (after 7).

Working from home, I ate early, and was set fair for a relaxed journey to the cinema. Until about 4.55, when I got this email invitation from Let's Do London - for Less! for the first outing of the year to the Globe.. in May! Ah.. now, I don't normally book that far in advance (except for U2 concerts) but I know this will sell out, they always do.. and probably by the time I got around to booking it.. and the film wasn't till 8.10, and it was a 10-min drive.. sod it, off I set on the path of looking at what I was doing on all the intervening days I'd be in London, to the 5 May.

By 8.15, I was frazzled, I was up to the 2 May, looked at the time and uttered words unmentionable. The rest would just have to wait - off I dashed. Traffic wasn't bad at this time of night, of course, and despite not getting parking on ground level, I was still in my seat while the trailers were still on. Bless Cineworld and their long programme. Ironically, saw one for The Boy - a horror film about a child-sized doll that comes to life. Just like the YouTube video I was watching earlier..

Deadpool is what you might call a super-anti-hero film, with Ryan Reynolds as the reluctant masked avenger. It looked like fun in the trailer. And it is! A film for people who are sick of superhero films, it's got plenty of in-jokes, and not a sacred cow is left unbothered. Poor Mr. Pool didn't want to be a superhero, and is particularly disparaging of the X-Men that also star. And who knew Ryan Reynolds could emit such an annoying voice (his visage enclosed in a mask for much of the film, you notice it). Perfect for this.. really, it's hilarious. Watch, have a good snigger at some cliches. And do keep an eye on the opening credits - they're more interesting than usual.

Driving home afterwards, Nights in White Satin came on.. ooh, I love Magic FM! Got home just before bedtime.. and finally got one of the last few tickets for the aforementioned Globe event. Result! (I see he's added a few more now.) Too late to blog, of course.

Tonight, I'm headed to the Chinese Lantern festival at Chiswick House.. couldn't find my camera, but Helen is kindly lending me hers. Figures, doesn't it? First I can't use the camera 'coz it needs charging, but I can't find the charger - then I find the charger and find I've misplaced the camera..

Tomorrow should've been London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) - I actually do have a ticket for Hangmen, at the National, which they're going to. But the organiser went into such a sulk over me getting my own ticket for that - honestly, I must've got the last ticket that was cheaper than what she had - which blossomed into a full-blown row over my blog, and posting links to ticket resellers in it.. So she banned me from linking to my blog on her pages, and frankly, when the Man with the Hat advertised The Young Visiters, at the Tabard (with his other group, London for Less Than a Tenner).. I booked that, and am going to that instead. I'd much rather. Pity my other ticket will go to waste, but what the hey. Only thing is, I'm driving from Guildford again, and have to stay a bit later that day.. pray to the Traffic Gods!

Friday and Saturday are LDAM again. On Friday, I'm going with them to The Mother, starring Gina McKee, at The Tricycle.. and on Saturday, to Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, at the National. For the latter, I didn't get my ticket with them - but that's acceptable to her, since her tickets were sold out at the time. So I'm semi-officially going with them. Ironically, they do now have a ticket available, and a better - and cheaper - one than I have. Ah well.

On Sunday, none of my Meetup groups had anything interesting, so I'm piggybacking on an event of the Russians in London group - I don't really want to join the group, but the balalaika concert at Rossotrudnichestvo in Kensington sounds interesting, so I'm going to that solo. On Monday, I'm back with LDAM, for a performance of Uncle Vanya, at the Almeida - their second trip, and a Q&A after.

On Tuesday, I'm back with London for Less Than a Tenner, for a comedy night for a change, at the Star of Kings. Wednesday of next week, I'm headed to a Trans-Siberian March Band concert at Rich Mix, with the London European Club - again, I was interested in going with LDAM that night, but they're going to the St. James Theatre, whose legroom is a bit tight for me; I did ask whether she had any aisle seats, and she said she'd get back to me, but never did. What the hey, Miss Atomic Bomb didn't sound great anyway.

On Thursday of next week, I'm back at Rich Mix for a concert by Iness Mezel. - I've signed up for that jointly with London European Club and the World Music Meetup. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.. we're off to the final night of the Clare Drama Festival on the Saturday, in my old school - followed by the Crick Crack Club on the 14th, who are back at Soho Theatre for an evening of storytelling entitled UniVerse - as ever with these, booking essential; they always sell out. On the 15th, I'm with Let's Do London - for Less! again, as they head to Cyrano de Bergerac at Southwark Playhouse - another of the Man with the Hat's preferred venues, and another good one.

On the 16th, I got a cheap ticket to a concert by the Coppell High School Band, at the Central Hall, Westminster. A new venue for me! Cool, I do like to keep discovering them. On the 17th, Kensington Classical Music is off to a concert by the Trio Isimsiz - you had to get your own ticket, though, then pay extra to join the group at the concert. Huh. I'll avoid them, and the extra charge - have to be discreet though, I believe it's a small room! It's at the 1901 Arts Club - another first for me.

On the 18th, I'm joining Spooky London for their monthly spooky pub night! Wherever it is. If I actually go. And on the 19th, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for an event entitled Seven Princesses - at Rich Mix, which will be my first event there with them.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete