Wednesday 16 March 2016

Coppell High School Band

I had the chance of a cheap ticket tonight to the Coppell High School Band - and with nothing better on offer at the time, I booked. Working from home today, naturally, I ended up rushing.. to Central Hall, Westminster this time. With no time to spare, and knowing I wouldn't get parking around Westminster, I went for the fastest public transport option - train to Victoria, Tube to St. James' Park.

Google Maps is better these days at estimating walking times, but still sadly optimistic about how long it takes me to walk to Clapham Junction station. So I left a bit earlier than they suggested.. they had said the last train to Victoria to get me to the church on time (literally, this venue is a Methodist church!) would leave Clapham Junction at 5:03. I couldn't see one scheduled for that time - the one I was just in time to catch was scheduled to depart at 5:02.

At Victoria Tube station, there are separate entrances for the Victoria Line and the others - and seeing the sea of people trying to squash through the Victoria Line entrance, just after 5pm, I was so glad I wasn't going that way! Much more relaxed at the other entrance - and with a corridor leading internally from there to the Victoria Line, it's handy to know as a shortcut, should I ever need one..

Either of the other two lines will take you to St. James' Park, which is just the next stop along. According to the directions I found to the church, I needed Tothill Street - however, neither of the two possible exits from St. James' Park were marked with that, and I was glad I'd checked on Streetview, where I'd been confused by the fact that all the streets around the station exit I needed seemed to be called Broadway. Handy, then, that one of the exits was for "Broadway & Park"!

Exiting that way, hang a right - towards the bulk of Westminster Abbey, just visible from there. At the end of the road, just across the road from the Abbey, the Central Hall is just on your left - entrance from Storey's Gate, facing the Abbey. I'd wondered, seeing it on Streetview, where the entrance was - although these old churches have lots of doors, most are usually kept closed. No problem - we entered via the main door, right under the flag.

A church it may be, but it's also a heavily marketed venue, and just up the stairs as you enter, there's a ticket desk, where I picked up my ticket. Then it was up the grand, marble staircase to the hall proper - with the banisters not extending all the way to the bottom of each flight, I wondered how I'd make it down again.

Finally, we entered the hall. Now, I was all set to take a picture or two, but this is one of those venues that, while spectacular, don't really lend themselves to photographs - all wide, sweeping curves. Very nice, though - the stage was set up in front of a massive organ, and what with seating being unassigned, I took an aisle seat a few rows from the front - I figured a brass band isn't what you want to be in the front row for!

Now, it was obvious that the people filing in at the same time I arrived were the band - the musical instruments kinda gave it away. This might give you the impression that the concert was about to start. Oh no. They had a lot of seat-shuffling to do first. To be fair, I had made it a little early, and it wasn't far after the official start time when they actually started. I didn't recognise any of the pieces, but did know the names, courtesy of the free programmes that were distributed beforehand by helpful ushers.

As the mc - a dead ringer for Susan Sarandon, apart from her Eastern European accent - ran through the conductors' (also teachers, of course) list of accomplishments, and the focus of the school (in Texas, FYI), it became obvious that this school places a strong emphasis on music. The concert was in three sections - and as the programme progressed, the pieces became progressively more jolly - and more.. daring. I use this word because I got the distinct impression that they started out with really careful pieces, really cautiously played. Which is fair enough, for schoolkids, and to their credit, I couldn't detect a bum note. But then, I do believe the school's music programme has been judged the "best in the nation"!

The second piece - On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss - was delightful. And after that, we had a break - as we did between each pair of sections - lasting five minutes or so, during which more seat-shuffling occurred. And after some moments of the mc standing uncomfortably at the side, it finally occurred to someone to pass her one of the (many) folding chairs round about. For the latter sections, the wind sections came on - and oh my, when they were tuning up, was I glad not to be in the front row! That's quite a volume..

Highlight of the programme was, without doubt, the last section - the "Honor Winds", who played really lively, entertaining pieces. As the evening progressed, it was obvious that there were many family members in the audience - in fact, I think they were confined to the balcony, where they snapped pictures away happily. All in all, a lovely evening - and so nice and early! It lasted just over an hour.. And on the way downstairs, the musicians - descending at the same time - were so polite in moving each other out of the way..

I decided to walk back to Victoria, donning gloves because of the cold - and this gave me the opportunity to buy my first Easter present. Which I can't say any more about, in case the recipient happens to be reading.. It's a while since I've been this way, but when I got to Westminster Cathedral, I knew where I was going:


Tomorrow, Kensington Classical Music is off to a concert by the Trio Isimsiz - you had to get your own ticket, though, then pay extra to join the group at the concert. Huh. I'll avoid them, and the extra charge - have to be discreet though, I believe it's a small room! It's at the 1901 Arts Club - another first for me. Read tomorrow's post to see how successful I was..
On Friday, I was supposed to join Spooky London for their monthly spooky pub night - but the venue was never announced, and now it's been cancelled.. Instead, I'm off with the London European Club, to an excellent-sounding event, entitled French Chanson and Swing, at Jamboree. Third new place in a row.. And on Saturday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for an event entitled Seven Princesses - at Rich Mix, which will be my first event there with them.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete