Thursday 17 March 2016

Concert: Trio Isimsiz

Kensington Classical Music was off to see Trio Isimsiz tonight, at a place called the 1901 Club. Fair enough - but buy my own ticket, and pay £2.50 more for the Meetup? I think not; I bought my own ticket, but neglected to RSVP to the Meetup - I was happy flying solo.

Never been there before, so I had to look up where it was - a hop, skip and jump from Waterloo, actually, which meant a short trip. Looking it up on Streetview - which allows an interior view of this venue - I saw just how small the room was. Little chance of avoiding the group, then! As it happens, I was late back from work, and time was tight. Doubting the availability of parking at my destination, I took the train to Waterloo instead. To get to the venue, I headed for the bus stop C exit, which you get to by seeking the Jubilee Line. Waiting to cross the road, I was asked directions to the London Eye, by a chap with a foreign accent. Ehh.. well, there was an elderly gentleman with an Irish accent in front of me, who overheard, and correctly directed him to carry on up the road to the left, then turn left at the end. Hey, it's not always easy to get your bearings, y' know?

Cross the road, hang a left, turn right just as you get to the church railings.. this is Exton Street, and you want No. 7. Carrying on down the street, I thought I must've passed it - but no, it's near the end. And I passed loads of free parking spaces - but I'd never have come in so fast if I'd driven, anyway. And I hadn't much time to spare. The door was ajar, the concert room just to the left as we entered. Someone crossed my name off the list, someone else took my coat, and it was suggested that I pop upstairs for a free glass of wine, which I could bring back in with me. So I did - and an excellent wine it was, too! I positioned myself discreetly in the back row, and was glad to see that the organisers were considerate enough to furnish those at the rear with higher chairs, for a better view!

The trio duly filed in, and took their spot at the head of the room - where the baby grand was. One played that, one the violin, one the cello. The programme - which I'd been given for free, on my way in, promised Haydn and Schubert piano trios: and the music, once it began, soared to fill the whole room. Lovely.. As previously mentioned, the room was small - seating 45, apparently - from my perch at the back, I could count eight empty seats. So, well attended, then!

They played right through, without a proper interval - just a short break during which they stood outside the door of the room to tune the violin and cello. The concert lasted a bit over 90 minutes, and was a lovely, refined way to end the day. Gorgeous furnishings, friendly staff, convenient location - I'll definitely be back here. I'd have taken photos, but my phone was dead - see Streetview for much better ones, anyhow!

I'd decided it wouldn't be expedient to stay for the reception after, despite the free nibbles. For one thing, I was hungrier than could be satisfied by nibbles.. I asked the nice man where I could pick up my coat - and guess where they'd put them? At the other end of the room - I had to walk up the centre aisle to get at them! (Knew I should've kept it with me.) And who do you think spotted me as I was doing that..? Yes, the organiser of Kensington Classical Music.

We had a brief, convivial chat - I hadn't seen her in months. "Were you at the concert?" "What did you think?" "Will you be writing about it?" "Will you be staying for the reception?" I did consider it for a moment, but no - I swiftly headed off to collect my coat, which was on a rail, now positioned beside the baby grand. A Steinway, naturally. And then I legged it.. as I scurried back down the road, my name was called - another group member, who'd also been at the concert and was leaving early because she was tired. So I had company, on the short walk to the station.

Tomorrow, I was supposed to join Spooky London for their monthly spooky pub night - but the venue was never announced, and now it's been cancelled.. Instead, I'm off with the London European Club, to an excellent-sounding event, entitled French Chanson and Swing, at Jamboree. Third new place in a row.. didn't print off the ticket, because they don't want you to. Eco-friendly, dontcha know?

On Saturday, I'm with the Crick Crack Club, for an event entitled Seven Princesses - at Rich Mix, which will be my first event there with them.

For Sunday, the London European Club just announced an organ concert at the church of All Saints, Margaret Street.. free, with suggested donation of £5. So I've said I'll go..

On Monday, my last Meetup before Easter sees me back with - surprise, surprise, Let's Do London - for less! The Man with the Hat is taking us underground - to the Vaults. Jeez, it's ages since I've been there - definitely more a warm-weather venue, we may have to keep our coats on! Pop-up Opera is staging their version of Romeo & Juliet down there. Romantic, down in the dark? Well, as long as I don't get dripped on.. And then I'm back to Ireland for just over a week, for Easter - dates specifically chosen for the cheapest flights! I fly back to London on the 30th..

No comments:

Post a Comment