Monday 8 February 2016

Storytelling: Shifter

I love a good story, well told. So I love the Crick Crack Club, and will try to get to their events when I can. It was with some glee, then, that I saw they'd scheduled a performance for tonight - Shifter. And I booked, because they do sell out.

It was in Soho Theatre, and late enough that I didn't have to rush. I'm glad I was there recently though - I remembered the basics: train to Victoria, Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, Exit 5, and walk to the right - the street just at the other side of the construction hoarding. I arrived early at Clapham Junction, and checked the board - "Due".. "Due".. "1 min".. Finally, I saw that a train to Victoria was due in 5 minutes, and made my way to that platform.

It arrived shortly after I got there - I think it might've been the previous train, delayed. And in no time flat, I was in Victoria - where there were none of the biblical scenes of overcrowding of the last time I took this route! (Typical - only when I'm in a rush, eh?) Made it to the theatre 20 minutes early and collected my ticket, only to discover the house wasn't even open yet. How unusual for me, for here!

Good job I'd picked up a paper. Quite a crowd was waiting by the time they let us in - as usual, they'd sold out. Upstairs, I took a seat front row, centre (seating is always unassigned in the "Upstairs" theatre). We started a bit late, the performers taking their seats on two chairs in the middle of the room, one of which was surrounded by bits and pieces whose purpose was as yet to be determined, although we could guess they'd be used to make music.

As they performed, it occurred to me (yet again) that there are different ways to tell a story. You can speak the words, but what they do is to bring it to life, which is a rare gift. Two different performers tonight, with two very different styles - Tuup had a very visual style, on his feet, plenty of movement and rhythm, while Jan Blake sat for hers, and wove a spell with her words alone (and a bit of singing, encouraging audience participation).

Both were absolutely captivating, on this night telling tall tales of people who could assume animal form. Some were quite dark, but in this simple space, lulled by the music, they sounded otherworldly. We clapped after each, we sang along, and we loved it. And I'm already looking forward to my next Meetup with them.

On the way home, the departure board at Victoria was in chaos - no order to the display, information constantly changing, trains cancelled. I finally spotted a train leaving for Clapham Junction within a reasonable time, and dashed for it. And was rather relieved when it did leave at the appointed time!

Tomorrow, I'm back with LDAM (and my own ticket, from lastminute.com) for Hand to God, at the Vaudeville Theatre. Even with the West End half-price parking validation at the theatre box office, it'd work out more expensive to park than to take public transport, so I'll leave the car at home again.

On Wednesday, I'm joining the London European Club for Light, an interesting play at Battersea Arts Centre - that's nice, as it's close enough for me to walk. I see the show is completely sold out now.. On Thursday, I'm supposed to be joining them again, for a talk entitled The Global Refugee Crisis: a Challenge to Our Common Humanity. Frankly though, it's unlikely, as I've now decided I'll be in Guildford that day. Watch this space for more details.

Eschewing all the Valentiney things I could be doing in London, I'm back to Ireland for Valentine's weekend. The following week starts with not one, but two, outings with the Man with the Hat - on the 15th, London for Less Than a Tenner is going to a show called Free Admission (confusion always a risk with that name..) at Soho Theatre. And on the 16th, he's off to another classical concert at St. Martin-in-the-Fields. And I'm schlepping along to both.

On the 17th & 18th, I'm back with LDAM - the 17th for The End of Longing, starring - and written by - Matthew Perry, at the Playhouse Theatre. His playwriting debut. I got my ticket through London Box Office. On the 18th, we're headed to The Patriotic Traitor, at Park Theatre. Tom Conti stars as Philippe Pétain, the title character, a good friend of De Gaulle, who nonetheless has him tried for treason as a Nazi collaborator.

On the 19th, I've got another cheap ticket to the Circus Show at The Aeronaut - it'll be interesting to see how much the lineup changes! On the 20th, I'm back with the London European Club, for Ballet Flamenco Sara Baras, at Sadler's Wells. Part of their Flamenco Festival. Olé! And on the 21st, I'm finally heading to one of those famous free gigs at the Finsbury - there are actually two Meetup groups heading there, I've signed up with both! - specifically, the World Music Meetup and London Gigs and Alternative Events.. 6 currently going to each, I see, but not the same 6, by the look of it..

No comments:

Post a Comment