Thursday 11 February 2016

Play: Phaedra

Originally, of course, I was supposed to join the London European Club tonight at a talk - The Global Refugee Crisis: a challenge to our common humanity. Then it came to pass that I worked in Guildford today.. well, I was never going to make a 6:30 talk then, unless it was right on my doorstep. Which it wasn't. So, instead, I had a look at what else was on, and got myself a cheap ticket to Phaedra, showing at Pentameters Theatre in Hampstead, at 8. Figured I'd make that.

It was tight, all the same.. one of my passengers had a large parcel delivered to the office, so I took pity on him and decided to drive him all the way home. I then had to get back to my place to park the car - by which time it was after 7, and the last Overground I could take and get there on time was leaving Clapham Junction at 7:16.. I made it, but it was slightly stressful! Still, better than paying for the Tube.

I panted on board and found myself a seat with a newspaper lying on it - handy for the long journey ahead. I got off at Finchley Road & Frognal.. from there, I had to head left, next right, third left, turn left at the end of the road. Instructions entered on my phone, in case. Easy, eh? Heh. Head left, check. Turn right.. roadworks blocked the entire junction! I had to retrace my steps just to get around the barriers. And the street I turned onto turned out to be a steep hill (typical Hampstead).. panted my way up it, took the third left, then (as it transpired) took a turning before I should've. Anyway, I was on the right road, I was sure, and duly came across the Horseshoe Pub - just about distinguishable under scaffolding.

So I went in, only to discover that, for the theatre, I had to go outside again and in another door. Off I went.. it was slightly after time by now, and I was somewhat frazzled (not to mention breathless - well, I do need the exercise). The door had hardly any distinguishing features, but in I went, and up the stairs, which were fairly steep, as advertised. As I panted my way up, a voice remarked that I'd made it! Turned out to be one of the stars of the show - Hippolytus! He directed me to where I should go - not obvious, but left at the top of the stairs. And reassured me that I was in time. Well, he should know - he was in the opening scene..

I crept through a narrow passageway - this theatre seems short on space - and had my name ticked off a list by a lady who then gave me a very detailed little ticket, with a little drawing on it, and the show dates and times. And directed me to sit anywhere - a fellow came around, deferentially offering programmes for £1, but honestly, I was too befuddled! Seating was a hotch-potch of chairs and armchairs, bedecked with cushions. And as I looked around, the theatre reminded me of my room.. far too much stuff for the space, all bundled in a corner and partially covered with some kind of cloth, to get it out of view. There were even boxes stuffed under some of the chairs..!

The set was a simple one, a nod to the Classics in the design of the back wall, with a couple of Ionic columns depicted against a stone wall. The only props were a bench, painted grey to depict stone, and a chair draped in red velvety fabric, to represent a throne. Our hero soon arrived, with another chap, and both proceeded to deliver lengthy and wordy speeches - a feature throughout.

This is based on a play by Racine, and suffers from wordiness - difficult to act. And to be honest, not all the performances could be described as good - I thought there was some overacting. Even for the proverbial Greek tragedy! Things didn't start well, with Hippolytus delivering a wordy monologue in a very thick accent, origin unknown.

But you know, there were also some excellent performances, and to a man (and woman) I couldn't fault their enthusiasm! The same goes for the organiser, who'd checked off my name at the start - I suspect she's the powerhouse behind this theatre, bouncing on at the end to tell us about upcoming attractions, and urging us to tell people. Well, I always do..! And if you like the Classics, you'll probably get something from this - indeed, I've seen worse on the West End stage. For a lot more money. Runs until the 21st, if you're interested.

Afterwards, I made my way back the way I'd come - and was very impressed that I didn't suffer from bathmophobia, always a danger for me when coming downhill. Less panting involved going downhill, of course, and I was soon back at the station. With the bitter cold of tonight, I was glad to be in!

Eschewing all the Valentiney things I could be doing in London, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Next week starts with not one, but two, outings with the Man with the Hat - on Monday, London for Less Than a Tenner is going to a show called Free Admission (confusion always a risk with that name..) at Soho Theatre. And on Tuesday, he's off to another classical concert at St. Martin-in-the-Fields. And I'm schlepping along to both. Monday, I'm also going to be in Guildford - so that's gonna be tight: better tell him to leave my ticket at the desk!
On Wednesday and Thursday, I'm back with LDAM - on Wednesday for The End of Longing, starring - and written by - Matthew Perry, at the Playhouse Theatre. His playwriting debut. I got my ticket through London Box Office. On Thursday, we're headed to The Patriotic Traitor, at Park Theatre. Tom Conti stars as Philippe Pétain, the title character, a good friend of De Gaulle, who nonetheless has him tried for treason as a Nazi collaborator.

On the 19th, I've got another cheap ticket to the Circus Show at The Aeronaut - it'll be interesting to see how much the lineup changes! On the 20th, I'm back with the London European Club, for Ballet Flamenco Sara Baras, at Sadler's Wells. Part of their Flamenco Festival. Olé! And on the 21st, I'm finally heading to one of those famous free gigs at the Finsbury - there are actually two Meetup groups heading there, I've signed up with both! - specifically, the World Music Meetup and London Gigs and Alternative Events.. 6 currently going to each, I see, but not the same 6, by the look of it..

No comments:

Post a Comment