Thursday 11 February 2016

Play: Light

So, the London European Club was off to see Light last night, and it sounded interesting. Plus, it's showing at Battersea Arts Centre, which is walking distance from me, now. Cool, I thought - and I booked. Just as well I did - it subsequently sold out, which is doubtless part of the reason that the organiser and I were the only ones who went, from the group!

Oh joy, an easy commute - I headed out just after 6:35, strolled down the road, and was there by 6:50. I was peckish, so headed straight for the bar, where they had a chocolate orange cake.. got a slice of that and a large white wine. The cake looked crumbly, so I made a point of asking for a fork. Made my way to where my companion was sitting, forlornly sipping a cup of something hot. The cake was tasty, and indeed crumbly - I ended up scooping a lot of it off the table, and indeed, rescued a large piece that had fallen onto my bag.

We chatted until it was time to go in: well, we were let onto the stairs, but there was something of a logjam at the top, and it was a while before we were let into the theatre. Now, this play was advertised as being without words - and from the name, it was obvious that light would feature prominently. Sure enough, as we entered, there were warnings about periods of complete darkness, and flashing lights. And we entered to a dark space, rather smokey, illuminated by two vertical light strips, one at either side of the stage.

These light strips (and others) were to be used in various clever combinations throughout, either to represent physical things - hardly any props were used - or to create striking images. For this was primarily a visual play. In fact, it was made with a nod to the hard of hearing - a sign language interpreter was used for the information message at the start, and there was a post-show discussion (which we didn't attend) about the difficulties posed by this challenge.

The plot of the play? SciFi. They said it was inspired by the Edward Snowden case - it reminded me more of The Matrix. In short, it's set about 100 years in the future, when humankind has developed a kind of telepathy brain implant, allowing people to send mental messages. However, those who developed it didn't anticipate the direction it would take, with governments using these implants to spy on the populace, and ultimately control them. So there's a rebel movement, and so on..

It's honestly visually stunning. The plot is advanced through brief scenes, suggesting the story, and brilliantly conceived, with clever use of light strips and beams, and shadows. The soundtrack is powerful, with the Ode to Joy making a brief appearance just as the government is talking about greater integration, and there's a piece that I absolutely love, but can never seem to remember the name of.. some diligent research after I got home last night revealed it to be the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony. So now! It's duly noted, and I can check back when I forget it again..

Fascinating to watch, beautiful to listen to. The plot is maybe not terribly original, but what the hey. The only quibble I had was with the screen behind the stage, where just a bit too much of the dialogue was spelled out - it didn't need it, and it jarred a bit. But it's an interesting show - runs till Saturday, and you can ring the venue to be put on a waiting list.

Despite it being quite a short show, with no interval, I had to be up so early that I still didn't have enough time to blog before bed. Because, of course, I'm in Guildford again today. Tonight, I'm supposed to be joining that group again, for a talk entitled The Global Refugee Crisis: a Challenge to Our Common Humanity. There isn't a chance of making it on time though - instead, I got myself a cheap ticket to a performance of Phaedra in Pentameters Theatre in Hampstead. It doesn't start till 8, so I'm optimistic. And I'm working from home tomorrow, so it won't matter if I'm home late.

Eschewing all the Valentiney things I could be doing in London, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Next week starts with not one, but two, outings with the Man with the Hat - on Monday, London for Less Than a Tenner is going to a show called Free Admission (confusion always a risk with that name..) at Soho Theatre. And on Tuesday, he's off to another classical concert at St. Martin-in-the-Fields. And I'm schlepping along to both.

On Wednesday and Thursday, I'm back with LDAM - on Wednesday for The End of Longing, starring - and written by - Matthew Perry, at the Playhouse Theatre. His playwriting debut. I got my ticket through London Box Office. On Thursday, we're headed to The Patriotic Traitor, at Park Theatre. Tom Conti stars as Philippe Pétain, the title character, a good friend of De Gaulle, who nonetheless has him tried for treason as a Nazi collaborator.

On the 19th, I've got another cheap ticket to the Circus Show at The Aeronaut - it'll be interesting to see how much the lineup changes! On the 20th, I'm back with the London European Club, for Ballet Flamenco Sara Baras, at Sadler's Wells. Part of their Flamenco Festival. Olé! And on the 21st, I'm finally heading to one of those famous free gigs at the Finsbury - there are actually two Meetup groups heading there, I've signed up with both! - specifically, the World Music Meetup and London Gigs and Alternative Events.. 6 currently going to each, I see, but not the same 6, by the look of it..

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete