Sunday 7 February 2016

Films: Chau, Beyond the Lines & A Girl in the River: the Price of Forgiveness

Could've slept longer today, I was up so late with the film list and the blog! Never mind, I did drag myself out of bed - and although I cut it a bit fine, it's wonderfully quick to get to the BFI from Clapham Junction! (if you know what you're doing). Because, of course, that's where I was headed, for the 2:30 Oscar-nominated documentary program, featuring Chau, Beyond the Lines and A Girl in the River: the Price of Forgiveness.

As I entered Clapham Junction station, I checked the board for London departures - all were to Waterloo, which was what I wanted, but there was a whole host of departures too soon.. "1 min" was displayed all down the board. I finally came down to the "5 min" notice, and took myself over to Platform 10 for it (it took about 2 mins to get there). A 10-minute train trip whisked us to Waterloo - cheaper than the Tube, too, and more reliable, with all these planned strikes.

And for once, I knew exactly what I was doing when I got there - the joy! Walk to the far end of the concourse, but DO NOT take the South Bank exit; I really don't think it goes anywhere useful. Instead, take the big, original exit (I think it's Exit 5) to the side of that. Down the steps, down the hill, straight down Sutton Walk. That brings you out at the back of the Southbank Centre - turn right for the BFI, don't bother with the steps. Take the next alleyway and you're there. Not a handy place to drive to - onstreet parking is limited, and the car park costs £8 for two hours - I paid £4.40 return on the train.

Booking hadn't been heavy, and I hadn't booked - no problem in getting a ticket. I asked him for something central, and soon I had my ticket and was off to NFT1, the largest screen. Picked up programme notes as I entered - and oh, what a lovely way to start a Sunday! I keep forgetting how relaxing the place is, with the subdued lighting and the soft, red curtains covering the screen. I found my seat and relaxed into the red plushness. All you need is a high enough headrest, and you could have a nap!

I had time to read the programme notes, which told us a snippet about each film, and a bit more about the people who made them. As the first started, the fellow at the end of my row had a novel way of dealing with the people behind me who were talking - instead of saying something to them, he clicked his fingers loudly a couple of times. That shushed them. Some folks arrived a little late - the BFI tends to allow you to arrive up to 15 minutes before the scheduled start time.

The first film was Chau, Beyond the Lines - the story of Chau, a Vietnamese boy whose mother, when pregnant with him, drank some water contaminated with Agent Orange. So he was born deformed, and at a very young age, was shipped to a "camp" catering to such children. I believe they had to pay the people running it, though. Substantially. Well, it was shocking to see all these children, with limbs deformed or missing, facial features sometimes deformed. A terrible legacy of the Vietnam War. This chap, however, is indefatigable - despite not being able to use his legs or hands properly, and having very weak arms, he's determined to make it as an artist, and when the nurses were dubious, he went home. When he discovered that his parents were pocketing the government subsidy being sent for him, he determined to make it on his own in the city. And as the film ends, you get a sense that very little will stop this guy..

More dramatic still was the second documentary - A Girl in the River: the Price of Forgiveness. Now, this is the story of a girl in Pakistan, subject to an attempted honour killing. A beautiful girl, her marriage was all arranged, and she and her fiancé were very much in love. Then it occurred to her uncle that her fiancé's family weren't good enough - not rich or well-enough connected. So they found her another bridegroom. Undaunted, she arranged with her original fiancé's family to sneak out and marry him in secret. She moved in with her in-laws.. after a while, her own family got in touch, swearing on the Quran not to harm her, but asking her to return home to satisfy their honour. Sure enough, on the drive home, her father and uncle bundled her out of the car, took her down to the river, shot her in the face (they were going for the head, but she managed to turn in time), shoved her in a bag and threw her in the river.

It's amazing that she survived at all, and wonderful to see how the doctors repaired her face. We had several people explaining to us that this is unlawful in Pakistan, and how it's important that she make a case. We also had interviews with several of her family members, all completely unrepentant, saying that she brought it on herself. Thing is, although she now holds nothing but hatred for her father and uncle, in Pakistan a crime can be pardoned if the victim formally forgives it.. and what is she to do, with everyone living in each other's pockets as they do, in this crowded neighbourhood, she living just a few doors away from her family home? What is she to do for the sake of peace? Compelling stuff.

It's great to have seen a couple of the nominated documentaries. Coming out, I was so glad not to have gone on that walk - the wind is bitter, and I was frozen by the time I got in! Tomorrow, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, who are headed to Soho Theatre again, for an evening called Shifter. Sounds intriguing..

On Tuesday, I'm back with LDAM (and my own ticket, from lastminute.com) for Hand to God, at the Vaudeville Theatre. Even with the West End half-price parking validation at the theatre box office, it'd work out more expensive to park than to take public transport, so I'll leave the car at home again.

On Wednesday, I'm joining the London European Club for Light, an interesting play at Battersea Arts Centre - that's nice, as it's close enough for me to walk. I see the show is completely sold out now.. On Thursday, I'm supposed to be joining them again, for a talk entitled The Global Refugee Crisis: a Challenge to Our Common Humanity. If I go to Guildford though, time will be tight - I'll see what happens.

Eschewing all the Valentiney things I could be doing in London, I'm back to Ireland for Valentine's weekend. The following week starts with not one, but two, outings with the Man with the Hat - on the 15th, London for Less Than a Tenner is going to a show called Free Admission (confusion always a risk with that name..) at Soho Theatre. And on the 16th, he's off to another classical concert at St. Martin-in-the-Fields. And I'm schlepping along to both.

On the 17th & 18th, I'm back with LDAM - the 17th for The End of Longing, starring - and written by - Matthew Perry, at the Playhouse Theatre. His playwriting debut. I got my ticket through London Box Office. On the 18th, we're headed to The Patriotic Traitor, at Park Theatre. Tom Conti stars as Philippe Pétain, the title character, a good friend of De Gaulle, who nonetheless has him tried for treason as a Nazi collaborator.

On the 19th, as of today, I've got another cheap ticket to the Circus Show at The Aeronaut - it'll be interesting to see how much the lineup changes! On the 20th, I'm back with the London European Club, for Ballet Flamenco Sara Baras, at Sadler's Wells. Part of their Flamenco Festival. Olé! And on the 21st, I'm finally heading to one of those famous free gigs at the Finsbury - there are actually two Meetup groups heading there, I've signed up with both! - specifically, the World Music Meetup and London Gigs and Alternative Events.. 6 currently going to each, I see, but not the same 6, by the look of it..

No comments:

Post a Comment