Monday 22 February 2016

Film: Neerja

Funny, I was just recently discussing Bollywood with someone - and then another Bollywood film pops out on top of my film list! Neerja, based on the true story of a flight attendant who sacrificed herself to save the passengers when her plane was hijacked, looked ok from the trailer. And it's showing in my local cinema - with validation of parking after 7, it looked an attractive option, as long as I worked from home tomorrow, so didn't have to get up too early!

I was home in good time today, with light evening traffic, and had time to eat (for once!) before the 8.20 showing. Blissfully empty streets greeted me on my drive to the cinema - if only it'd been like that this morning. I'd booked in advance, as always cheaper with Cineworld. Got there a bit before the trailers started, to find a guy sitting in the seat I'd booked - no biggie, I took the one on the other side of the aisle. And when the people who'd booked that one arrived (I overheard their conversation), they just sat behind me. The place wasn't terribly full - indeed, the guy in my seat (and his companion) left at the intermission..

Yes, that's one thing about Bollywood, there's always an intermission. And some music and dancing. I've heard a lot that's disparaging about Bollywood - but you know, there's Bollywood and Bollywood, and some of it incorporates Western trends. And these are the films that are more accessible to us Westerners.

So, a hijacking film. Used to be a big thing, plane hijackings - not so any more; this story takes place in 1986. The title character is a part-time model, a gorgeous young woman, and the lead actor bears a good resemblance to the real-life person on whose story this is based.

That's about as much as I knew going in. What did I discover? I had no idea I'd find this film so moving - I hate mawkishness, and am suspicious of over-sentimentality: but we are made to care so much, about Neerja, about her family, and about the passengers and crew, that it's irresistible. Pack the hankies - it's a real weepie. All the characters are given great depth - I was impressed at how only one of the hijackers was depicted as a raving loony - and even knowing the outcome doesn't lessen the suspense. Most of the action takes place on the plane, too, a claustrophobic space guaranteed to ratchet up the tension levels.

I was really impressed. The woman who played Neerja herself is, apparently, receiving great praise, and rightly so - but credit must also go to the woman who plays her mother, who gives possibly the most heart-rendingly believable performance I've ever seen as she stubbornly clings to the belief that her daughter will be ok. Where were the Oscar committee when this came out? She should be a real contender for Best Supporting Actress. Jeez, I don't know when I've cried so much - and there's a scene near the end that reminds me, more than anything else, in its spirit, of that "O Captain, my Captain!" scene at the end of Dead Poets' Society, where the boys all jump up on tables in support of their teacher.

Really touching, really tense - really, why aren't you rushing to a cinema to see it?

Afterwards, I knew my parking would be completely paid for, but wasn't quite sure whether I still needed to insert the card into a pay machine as well as the cinema validation machine. So, in time-honoured tradition, I watched what everyone else was doing. And yes, you do. And Kyrie came on as I drove home - oh, I love Magic FM!

Tomorrow, I'm back with one of my favourites - Let's Do London - for less! is off to see Orphans, at Southwark Playhouse. On Wednesday, the Crick Crack Club scheduled another storytelling session, in The Forge - and next thing I knew, The London European Club were coming too! I'd already booked my ticket - so now I've signed up with both groups. This one, I'll definitely go to.. and it'll be nice to have the LEC there, I'll know some people; the Crick Crack Club don't put much emphasis on meeting. On Thursday, I'm back with London Dramatic Arts, with whom I'd booked a ticket to Battlefield, at the Young Vic, before all the trouble with them started. It's based on the Mahabharata, apparently. It'll be interesting to see whether I'm over-reacting, or whether it really will be that tense to meet them again. Back to Ireland at the weekend, then on Monday of next week I'm back with Let's Do London - for less!, who are off to Soho Theatre for What I Learned From Johnny Bevan.

No comments:

Post a Comment