Tuesday 12 January 2016

Plays: All On Her Own & Harlequinade

A side effect of booking ahead for this week, at the end of November (and all working towards Let's Do London - for less!'s outing to The Nutcracker), is that most Meetup groups don't arrange things that far in advance. So it was Time Out that suggested that, for yesterday, I go to Harlequinade, directed by and starring Kenneth Branagh. Fair enough - it sounded ok. Now, it's in the Garrick, which I know from bitter experience to be one of those old theatres that's appalling for seating in the upper levels (no legroom whatsoever) - so the stalls it had to be. Which made it expensive. I found the best deal through London Box Office.

Yesterday evening, I didn't have much time to eat, but when I arrived back from work to Clapham Junction station, I was hungry - and Sainsbury's, conveniently located in the station precinct, provided me with the handiest hot counter, where I picked up a cooked half roast chicken. Very much appreciated! With Google Maps telling me that the 7.13 train would get me there in time, 7 o'clock seemed time enough to leave the flat, which just nicely gave me time to eat my purchase.

I arrived back at the station just in time to catch the 7.07 to Waterloo. Great - except there was a delay as we approached the station (something about a fault with the doors) and we eventually chugged in at nearly 20 past. Then I had what is commonly described as a senior moment, and couldn't find the Underground for a few minutes, despite walking right past it twice - and by the time I made it to Leicester Square, I was already five minutes late for the show. Well, I wasn't giving up on a £65 ticket, so I persevered.

I'm not used to exiting Leicester Square from the Northern Line, so it took me a moment to locate Exit 1, still to my left. From there, it's left down Charing Cross Road - I looked enviously at Wyndham's, which I passed on the way, but mine was further down. Sure enough, by the time I got there, the only people still in the lobby were staff. But they were kind enough to get me my ticket, and show me to the bar, where they sat me on a cushioned stool in front of a large television, showing a live feed, until I could be let in. So not so bad - and I wasn't even the last to arrive, as I discovered when they pulled up another stool next to me for another fellow.

Well, the sound quality wasn't terrific, and I couldn't get all the dialogue. And it was some minutes before the display changed to colour. Nonetheless, it was good that I hadn't really missed anything. The first play is the short one - All On Her Own, where Zoe Wanamaker gives an excellent solo performance as a drunk, middle-aged woman, downing the whiskey while conversing with her dead husband.

After about 15 minutes, that play was ending and we were shown to our seats - in my case, at least, making several of my neighbours grumpy! As I sat, they were showing a postwar-style film, which explained how a national board was sponsoring a number of theatre companies (this one included) to bring culture to the masses. In due course, the curtain rose to a Renaissance-style set, and Kenneth Branagh appeared in Renaissance costume and a flamboyant wig.

Oh dear. Oh dearie me. Now, the audience loved it - well, the laughter died down as the evening progressed, but the people around me had a hoot! It's the story of the shenanigans of a madcap touring theatre company, with him as the director - and Zoe Wanamaker back, after a costume change, as his aunt, who is also a member. Comedy is subjective - and I'm afraid, although this elicited some laughs from me, and indeed, I loved their use of the venue - I just found it far too silly. Note to self - never, ever again go to a comedy directed by Kenneth Branagh. I'd have left, if I'd been on the end of the row - it played without interval, so I had to stay to the end.

At least it finished quite early - although there still wasn't time to blog, last night. London Box Office asked for a review today, and I told them the same - and remarked that, although the seat was fine, it definitely wasn't worth £65. Which, by the way, is face value.

Well, I have higher hopes for tonight - both for quality, and likelihood of getting there on time. Again part of my early booking, I have a ticket to La Soirée, playing at the Spiegeltent, walking distance from Waterloo. And, having been there before, I MIGHT not get lost.

Well, if you've been reading regularly, you'll know that I didn't get a ticket to The Nutcracker tomorrow - after all that fuss, they were sold out by the time I got to them! I got a ticket to an evening of poetry set to music instead, part of the Winter Festival at the Southbank Centre. I got a seated ticket when there was a cancellation - and it's free! And then.. I was literally just writing this very post, a short while ago, and looked up the link to the Let's Do London - for less! page (just for reference).. and there had just been a cancellation (as he only just now explained); they had one ticket left (one of the more expensive ones, but still the best value available) in the auditorium. So I snapped it up, and now I'm going to that instead!

Thursday's plans have also changed. I've decided I want to come to the office that day - which I normally wouldn't be - because I'm interested in our product planning meeting that's happening that day, and which won't have remote access. (Means an early start after what's bound to be a late night, but never mind! And at least I get a free lunch out of it). Unfortunately, that means that, once again, I have to cancel on the Central London Outdoor Group - that's happened a few times now, but I'd never make it in time. Instead, I got another of those cheap tickets - to Cirque Berserk, in Dartford. Long journey, but I know they're good. And I don't have to travel to work on Friday! Later that day, of course, I fly back to Ireland for the weekend - that plan hasn't changed (yet)!

No comments:

Post a Comment