Thursday 28 January 2016

Concert: Farsa Moneda

There I was, browsing Meetup for something to do for last night, and what should I see but Spanish music. The London European Club was hosting a concert by a Spanish group, Farsa Moneda - and what's more, it was in Sands Film Studios! Ah well now - music I love, in an eccentric venue. I booked.

The weather was better yesterday evening for the drive back, and I avoided some of the traffic in town - so, although I still didn't have time to go home first, I wasn't in quite as much of a hurry. And, gratifyingly, I was also in plenty of time to get the Overground straight there - Rotherhithe is much closer than where I was the night before, and I could get the train after the one I'd had to get, on that occasion.

Last time I was here, I got the Tube to Canada Water - the Overground station is much closer, right around the corner really! Mind you, I was glad I had been here before - it'd have been desperately confusing otherwise. Easy when you know how - left out of the station, immediately left around the corner. Then left and across a car park, left down the road and it's on the corner, on your right..

I also knew where to go once I went in. Directed someone else, in fact! But the concert venue (which is called the cinema, because they also show films here) door wasn't open yet, I'd arrived so early. Interestingly, it said 7:30 on the ticket, but I spied a notice from the venue that said the concert wasn't due to start till 7:45. Well, that gave me time to explore - so I meandered through their extensive costume reference library, pulling out a few folders and browsing pictures of costume through the ages. Fascinating place - they make costumes for film and tv, you see, and the place is a warren, with historical costumes visible at every turn.

 If you book, your name goes on a list, although the fellow in front of me bought his ticket on the spot. The young lady selling tickets (and checking names) is in a play, BTW - we were told at the end. So here's some free advertising - it's Miss Julie, at the Brunel Museum in Rotherhithe. Part of the See 16 Arts Festival. Runs from the 11th - 14th February.

I got in early enough to have a decent choice of seat - and in this venue, the choice depends not so much on proximity to the stage as on your preference among the eclectic seating. Last time, I fancied a chair with a hard back - which was very comfortable, but this time I fancied something a bit softer, and found an armchair that nicely fitted the bill - the springs had seen better days, and creaked a bit, but otherwise it was perfect.

Although, as mentioned, someone did buy his ticket on the night, the event did seem to have sold out. Three in the band, with a guest performer at one point. The two ladies who stayed on throughout seemed to comprise the core of the band. And we were treated to about two hours' performance (including interval, during which - as beforehand - free tea and coffee were available in the cafe at the entrance). It truly was beautiful. My Spanish wasn't up to really understanding what they were singing about, but I've always loved Spain and things Spanish, and as someone behind me remarked at the interval, the singer sang in a very traditional style. Heavily peppered with coplas (Spanish songs of the Franco era), the set was acoustic - the singer, who also played violin, the guitarist, the percussionist/guitarist. A lovely, easy-listening evening.

At the interval, the organiser, having found me, made a valiant effort to round up the other Meetup people. To no avail. Ah well - if they were there, they mightn't have been interested in identifying themselves: and while it's nice to meet, I wouldn't require it of members - as I hear some other groups do..

I was so glad I'd come! They also have an interesting upcoming schedule, it seems, but I can't make the next one, and am not sure of my availability after that. Not a reflection on them at all - I just am that busy!

And so home, and again, too late to blog, with these early mornings. As I say, I should be working from home two days a week, but what with my parking permit not yet having been approved, which makes it attractive to be in Guildford during the day.. And anyway, today was another bittersweet leaving lunch for one of our number, London-based, and who has found it just too awkward to work from Guildford, and is leaving for pastures new. Today's lunch was booked in the Lemongrass restaurant, in Compton, outside Guildford.

I'd researched the route - southbound on the A3, turn off for Farnham on the B3000. Easy-peasy. Except, when I saw the first stretch was on the A3, I didn't bother to research that bit.. which was why I got confused when I saw a sign for the A31, leading to Farnham. Turned off there, and it didn't take me long to realise I'd gone wrong. I eventually ended up turning back to the A3, to head the way I should have in the first place. Quite easy then - down the B3000, left at the roundabout (signposted Compton), and it's a bit along that road, on the right. Huh. My passenger and I were the last to arrive, and the first thing I was greeted with was, "Did you go down the A31..?"

You live and learn. Anyway, this used to be the Harrow Inn, and did look familiar.. it's a lovely old building, no longer a pub - to the distress of one couple who came just looking for that. Service is gracious, although the lady taking our order was rather confused by the tablet on which she was entering the information. I might have ordered a starter, but when she asked whether anyone wanted one, nobody piped up, so I passed. The mains were so filling, however, that we were in agreement that starters would have been a mistake.

I nearly had the pad see-ieuw, but plumped for the chicken with cashew nuts instead - which was absolutely delicious. I didn't hear any complaints from the rest of our 12-strong group about their food, either - I think this would be a safe bet for an excellent Thai meal around Guildford. And it struck me, as usual, what a good meal you can have cheaply once you get out of London.

And I found my way back flawlessly, with an audience of two extra passengers. One of whom was distressed that it didn't take us longer, but never mind.

Tonight, I got a cheap ticket to Laugh Train Home - I've been to that once before, but this one is in Acton. And I still must look up my route.. Tomorrow, it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.. and on Saturday, we're off to A Night at the Musicals, presented by a local school, Coláiste Chiaráin, at the Limetree Theatre.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete