Friday 8 January 2016

Comedy: Stewart Lee - A Room With a Stew

With all that aforementioned early booking, it wasn't every day that Meetup had anything to offer. Like today, for instance - when I was looking and booking, at least. I ended up on Time Out, which suggested the comedian Stewart Lee, in the Leicester Square Theatre. Honestly, being Irish, and having watched barely any television since I moved here, I'd never heard of the man - but he looked ok on YouTube. And when I saw it was nearly sold out already (at the end of November), I booked.

Another place I've been before, but now had to find another route to. This was much easier - I could get the Tube from Waterloo (which is set to become as familiar to me as Earl's Court was before). Off I headed again, choosing the train that wasn't departing for four minutes, because so many were at that moment due to depart or one minute away from it - which is just too tight. I had to stand this time, but what the hey. Upon arrival at Waterloo, I benefitted from the Tube being much better signposted than buses ever are. I had a choice of Bakerloo or Northern Line, according to Google Maps - but when I discovered that the Bakerloo Line doesn't stop at Leicester Square, it was the Northern Line for me!

Leicester Square Station was packed. The exit stairs were packed. Leicester Square itself was packed. Welcome to London at the weekend! (It still surprises me.) Anyway, I pushed my way though to the theatre - turn into Leicester Square, and right at the Haagen-Dazs ice cream parlour. I had a Print-at-Home ticket, which I showed to the usher and was let in - so much for requiring id, as claimed on the website. Some confusion ensued when I realised I didn't have a row, as such - my seat was described as "Stalls Right 9". Stalls Right - and, I guess, Stalls Left - are seats to the side of the central section, facing across rather than straight at the stage. And they're individually numbered. Mine was perfectly fine.

Stewart Lee was, apparently, testing material for a new tv show, and this was the last night of a long run. I didn't quite know what to make of him when he came on - surly, somewhat hostile to the crowd. He pointed out that he doesn't really do jokes - his material consists more of long routines, taking as long as 25 minutes to get to the point. I initially thought I might leave at the interval.

But he soon won me over. He does eventually get to the point, and the point is usually quite clever. He has a nice line in observations about the audience, and a very self-deprecating style, which masks a sly, satirical streak. Don't get distracted, or you might lose the subtle references. Like Jesus and the aromatic footbath.

For me, it wasn't perfect - the bit at the start (about what he'd do to the phones he'd confiscate from people he saw using them) and the bit at the end (about some journalist I'm not familiar with, imagining him covered in various types of food) I just found vulgar. And the end bit, in particular, was far too drawn-out. I was relieved when the show came to an end. But I did enjoy most of it. And when he was good, he was very, very good..

On the way back to the station, we were besieged by people advertising comedy. Back in Waterloo nice and early, I actually managed to catch the next train leaving that stopped at Clapham Junction, by virtue of the fact that I was standing very near that platform. And once there, I didn't have the entertainment of swerving around the drunks that I had last night - well, as I say, I was earlier tonight. Heavens, I hadn't caught the bus by this time last night!

Lordy, I'm tired - London is exhausting, particularly when you're not used to it. And I have too much else going on. Tomorrow starts with a test drive, and finishes with a cheap ticket to a musical called Looking For You, at Pentameters Theatre in Hampstead.

No comments:

Post a Comment