Friday 29 January 2016

Comedy: Laugh Train Home

Last night came up as comedy - a cheap ticket to another Laugh Train Home, in fact. I checked out the lineup on YouTube, was happy enough with what I saw - so I booked.

I was in a bit of a grump yesterday evening - waiting for my resident parking permit to be approved, exhausted after my week, just generally out of sorts. Working out all those new driving routes is wearing, y' know, and the drive to Guildford is long. Wasn't sure whether I really wanted to go out at all. But I said hey, staying in probably won't help, and comedy might just be the best medicine. So off I trotted. The last Laugh Train Home was local, but they have a venue in Acton - The Aeronaut - that they use every other week, and that's where it was last night. Google Maps said to get a train to Shepherd's Bush and a bus from there. Well, there were Tube options too - but that'd have been more expensive.

I arrived at Clapham Junction station and checked for the next train to Shepherd's Bush. In two minutes, from Platform 16! I was at Platform 1. Eh - I'd give it a go. I gave it my best, in fact, but the crowds were such that hurrying was difficult - and I arrived at the platform just as it was pulling out. Bummer - particularly after climbing all those steps to the platform. Where did the next one go from..? Platform 1. Sigh. Back again. Made this one, though..

Bus stop C in Clapham Junction is right outside the train station door, and I could catch the 207 or the 607 - I had saved the instructions to my phone. The 207 arrived shortly after I did, and I eventually alighted at Denehurst Gardens - slightly deafened from the really shrill call bell. The Aeronaut was back from there, across the road - and had a sign outside, that said the show started at 8! It was now about 8:20, and I slipped in apprehensively - but of course, nothing had started yet.

It was easy to find the comedy section - the old fella I'd seen the last night was selling tickets, and checking names, at a table just to the right. He checked my name off the list, and marked my hand so I could come and go to the bar - and pointed out the raffle ticket they always ask you to fill out, to win a ticket to next week's show. You drop it in - well, last night it was an ice bucket, by the stage. And then I grabbed a convenient seat - much easier than the last time, when there'd been large groups in. (And the seats were wicker, and very comfy!)

MC for the night - again - was the excellent Robyn Perkins: and, as usual, beware if you choose to sit in the front two rows (I'd had enough of that the last night, and I didn't). The format was the same as the last time - an opener, a break, two more acts, another break, and the headliner. Sadly, I didn't make a note of the names of most of the acts, and can't find a record now - but I did notice this: there was a noticeable improvement in quality as we saw the later performers, and it's very interesting - kind of like watching comedy routines evolve.

The first two guys were obviously naturally funny, but still finding their feet, with notes written on their hands. It was funny in itself, just watching them try out stuff on us and how they recovered if it didn't work. The first guy hadn't yet found the border between offensive and non-offensive, but seemed to be exploring it as hard as ever he could. He was overweight, and made a thing of it. The second guy was scrawny, and made a thing of that - and it was great to see how good they both were at working with the audience! The third guy's routine was more polished - and the headliner (whose name, luckily, is still on the Aeronaut's site - that was Kerry Godliman) was terrific, regaling us all with wry stories of motherhood.

But you know, they were all funny, it was a great night and a great venue, and I was delighted I'd gone. It was mentioned that this is a new comedy club - well, the very best of luck to them! Recommended - runs weekly, here or in the Four Thieves. From what I've seen, they've started really well. Pity I couldn't get a drink, but really, I was starving, and didn't trust it on a empty stomach.

The return journey started by bus, from the stop just up the road from the pub. A couple of buses pulled in as I approached - and then I saw mine, behind them both! Made a dash, but couldn't get there before it pulled away. It can be hard to get bus drivers to wait. And with a string, bitterly cold wind, it wasn't a fun wait for the next one. Mind you, I did get a restaurant recommendation while I was there - we were just across from the North China Restaurant, which an old chap waiting at my stop said his food critic friend had recommended as excellent. So now! If it hadn't been so late, I might have eaten there - but I made my way home, and had a late meal there instead.

My parking permit was approved today. :-) So now I can fly back to Ireland happy - tomorrow, we're off to A Night at the Musicals, presented by a local school, Coláiste Chiaráin, at the Limetree Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment