Wednesday 13 January 2016

Circus: La Soirée

Some things, you just know are going to be good. I saw La Soirée last year, I think it was.. maybe longer ago, since I can't seem to find it in the blog. Anyway, they made an impression - and when I was booking ahead for this week.. and came across La Soirée.. no hesitation required, I booked.

Well, I anticipated an easy trip last night from Waterloo.. it didn't quite work out that way. To start with, I was delayed coming from work. Well, but the show wasn't starting until 8 anyhow. I grabbed a quick bite in Clapham Junction on the way, then hopped on a train for Waterloo. And then realised I hadn't tapped in with my Oyster card - I'd just come straight off the train from Guildford and hadn't passed through the barriers. Ehh.. oops. And the train was now moving. I got off at Vauxhall, the next stop - no Oyster readers. I had to go all the way back to Clapham Junction, pass through the barrier, tap in with my Oyster card, and get on another train to Waterloo. All of which I could've done without.

I finally got there at 7.50. I knew which exit to take, at least - or thought I did. The terrible exterior design of Waterloo struck again, and I was completely lost, despite following signs for the South Bank and Southbank Centre. Turning left from the platforms, I was faced with two exits - in retrospect, the (main) exit, to the right, would've been a bit easier, but I still ended up in the same place - Belvedere Road, facing the backs of a number of buildings, knowing that London Wonderground was just around the other side, but with no way of getting there.

In retrospect again, I could've just climbed the steps straight in front of me, to the Southbank Centre. But there was a sign for the Spiegeltent, pointing to the left - so off I went, under the bridge, crossing the road, looking for a road to the right. Do not believe Google Maps at this point - there is no access to the side of Jubilee Gardens. They've blocked off all those roads for deliveries and such. No, I had to go right into the gardens, walk down the middle - as Big Ben struck 8, and I was sure I'd be late: eyes and nose streaming in the freezing cold breeze.

I couldn't find the box office, so made straight for the tent - turns out there is no box office, they just crossed my name off the list and gave me a wristband, and bless, there were even ladies there to put it on for me! This is so you can pass in and out to the bar, at the entrance. I was just after 8 - but sure enough, the MC didn't come on until 5 past, and the show proper didn't start until 10 past. Phew. One convivial chap passed me on to another, who showed me to a decent seat at the end of a row. I think all these people were performers in the show as well - they run a tight ship.

I am at something of a loss as to how to describe this show. I certainly can't do it justice - I can start by saying that yes, it was at least as good as I remembered (and a different show, mostly - they have a huge cast, which varies between performances), and that it must absolutely be one of the best shows in London right now. Sexy and sassy, there's so much to watch in this stylish show that you sometimes forget to keep an eye on the really spectacular circus acts being performed in front of you. And spectacular many of them are, as you bop along to the most excellent soundtrack. All circus should be like this.

I don't want to give too much away, but to give you a flavour - an Irish cabaret singer started us off with a demented, but talented performance. Immediately followed by possibly, for me, the stars of the show - The English Gents, complete with pinstripe suits and bowler hats. Muscular is not the word for what lies underneath. :-) Acrobatics ain't all they get up to - the act of the show (for me, and many others I think, judging by the cheers) was the bubble-blowing in the second act.

A trapeze artist in stilettos, smoking a cigar throughout, and never dropping the trilby she was wearing. A hilarious contortionist / sword swallower. A chap who doesn't do much dramatic, but does it so salaciously you don't care! A juggler with a yen for Queen. And more.. there was a large crowd in, who seemed to have set up their boss to be dragged up on stage - and a good sport he was. We laughed, we gasped, we cheered, and we gave them a standing ovation at the end. Seriously, you don't want to miss this! Runs until Sunday - beg, borrow, or steal a ticket.

I came out around the other side - I now know the area better, but I don't think that would've been any faster to go by - you need to leave about 10 minutes to get from Waterloo to the Spiegeltent. And the show ran later than your average circus show - 2.5 hours including interval - so I wasn't home until after bedtime. What the hey, it was worth it!


Again, if you've been reading regularly, you'll know that I didn't get a ticket to The Nutcracker tonight with Let's Do London - for less! - after all the fuss, they were sold out by the time I got to them. I got a ticket to an evening of poetry set to music instead, part of the Winter Festival at the Southbank Centre. I got a seated ticket when there was a cancellation - and it's free! And then.. I was literally just writing the last post, and looked up the link to the Let's Do London - for less! page (just for reference).. and there had just been a cancellation (as he afterwards explained); they had one ticket left (one of the more expensive ones, but still the best value available) in the auditorium. So I snapped it up, and now I'm going to that instead! Better be careful with my timings - I had a complicated trip to the Opera House last time. This time, I think I'll take the RV1 - with my newfound knowledge of the station, that stop seems easiest to get to!

Tomorrow's plans have also changed. I've decided I want to come to the office - which I normally wouldn't be on a Thursday - because I'm interested in our product planning meeting that's happening that day, and which won't have remote access. (Means an early start after what's bound to be a late night, but never mind! And at least I get a free lunch out of it). Unfortunately, that means that, once again, I have to cancel on the Central London Outdoor Group - that's happened a few times now, but I'd never make it in time. Instead, I got another of those cheap tickets - to Cirque Berserk, in Dartford. Long journey, but I know they're good too. And I don't have to travel to work on Friday! Later that day, of course, I fly back to Ireland for the weekend - that plan hasn't changed (yet)!

No comments:

Post a Comment