Saturday 12 December 2015

Nectarie Protopsaltu choir

The London European Club was off to hear a Romanian choir carol service this evening - which sounded lovely, so I said I'd go. No tickets required - just show up.

I spent forever trying to find the church on Streetview - my internet connection (in the flat I'm leaving - one reason to be grateful for that!) is rubbish. So I was rushing a bit - but made it in time (just!) to Fleet Street, with a fair idea where the church was supposed to be. Now, this area is rather complicated and mysterious, with many small alleys and passageways, lanes closed off by doors and gates - it can be hard to tell how to get where you're going, if it's not on the main road.

I knew which block the church was supposed to be on, and Google Maps indicated that I had to pass down an alley to find it. I tried that way - a locked door blocked my path. Every other alleyway finished in a dead end. I had no idea where to go, and the Meetup page was no help.

I did pass a church on Fleet Street itself - there was some activity, but I couldn't hear any singing. Still, I wondered - but the name was different, and there was no mention whatsoever of a concert tonight. So it couldn't be that one. Miffed, having explored every avenue (literally), I returned home.

And did an online search. And yes, that was the church. Or - kind of. It's housed within an Anglican church, for goodness' sake.. you'd think they'd put a little sign up somewhere to mention their Romanian connection!

Bah humbug. Well, I should have better luck tomorrow - I'm not headed anywhere new! Let's Do London - for Less! is off to a matinee of "Your Last Breath" at Southwark Playhouse - based on the true story of a Norwegian woman found trapped in the ice - and in the evening, London for Less Than a Tenner is off to a concert in Cadogan Hall. Actually, so is Let's Do London - for Less! but there's no conflict.. the Man With the Hat is in charge of both! So I can blithely pick the cheaper group. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment