Thursday 24 December 2015

Film: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Let's see now.. what day did all this happen? Ah yes, Tuesday, eh? Lordy, what a week..

Well, Tuesday was the day of our freebie Christmas team lunch, in the local Thai. We were told how much the budget extended to each of us (alcohol excepted), and given the low prices here, it was really difficult to use it up! Not that we didn't do our best.. we were seated at the high table in the middle again, with high stools that can be awkward to push right into the table. Our generous budget meant we all had starters, for once (represented as "sides" on the menu), and I can recommend their chicken satay. For main, I couldn't for the life of me remember what I'd had before that I'd found so tasty. I did remember it was somewhere near the pad choy though, on the menu - and sure enough, it turned out to be the pad see-ieuw, right below it. Which was, again, very moreish - I do love my soy sauce. A dish of lollipops finished out a very satisfying meal - and someone suggested that next Christmas, those of us based in London should schedule another Christmas meal, in London. Yes please - whatever this forced office move brings, we in the London office are a good team, and Christmas is a good time to remember what we had.

That evening, we went for a last drinks session, joined by whatever ex-colleagues were around. Sadly, I had to duck out early - just before this drinks session was scheduled, I'd booked to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens. And before that, I had to take a bag back to the new flat, where I stayed that night. I timed it well - made my way to the new flat, then caught a bus just up the road to the Clapham Picturehouse, in fairly unpleasant weather. I made the cinema about five minutes after the scheduled start time. I was a bit perplexed at first, unable to see the screen I wanted - turned out it was behind me, up stairs specially decorated in a Star Wars theme. In the screen, unfortunately it turned out my seat was right by the wall, on the inside, which meant I had to disturb a whole row of people.. the screen was already pretty full; people don't show up late for this!

Now, this was a 2D showing, which probably contributed to me getting to see it as quickly as I did. 3D hurts my eyes, to be honest, and I usually find it gimmicky. Mind you, the projection screen was a bit smaller than I'd have liked - but didn't make a huge difference to my enjoyment of the film, I think.

Right! Welcome to The Movie Event of the Year! I was delighted when this came out so highly rated (on IMDB) - and it still is, despite having fallen slightly. In the chronology of Star Wars, it's Episode VII - taking place some 30 years after the end of the original trilogy. To that end, the director - JJ Abrams, a self-confessed Star Wars fan - has brought back the Millennium Falcon, and the original trio of stars - Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill. And Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, and Kenny Baker. They all pretty much just have cameos though - the main action is left to the newbies. Domhnall Gleeson also appears, as a commander with the First Order - the new name for the Galactic Empire.

Is it any good? Yes, it's good - he's a great action director, and has great fun with the action sequences. That's.. kind of it, though! I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy - but you know, although that had action sequences, there was always something else to them: a sweeping score, a mystical, disembodied voice, a sense of purpose. Here, although each mission has a purpose, it's mostly about the big explosions - which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but I found myself shifting in my seat quite a bit, and wondering when it was going to be over. As for bringing back the original actors? It's kind of nice, but so throwaway that it's almost insulting. Mark Hamill doesn't get to utter a single line - I can just hope they make more use of him in the sequels. As for Carrie Fisher - o lordy, she mumbles so much I can hardly understand a word she says! Upon inspection, this seems to be because she's not moving her upper lip. Not a great ad for Botox.

They are basically on a mission to find Luke Skywalker, who's done a runner, it seems - and it's not a huge spoiler to say that they do find him, right at the end. He's stood at the top of a cliff, looking all mysterious and monkish in his cloak - and the Skelligs have never looked better; kudos to them for the sweeping helicopter shots, that must've involved some tricky flying. And there's just enough in it to make me anticipate the sequel. But it isn't anywhere near as good as its rating. Unless big explosions turn you on. Don't believe the hype.

Well, that night ran late, and with the last of the moving, plus clearing out my desk, plus catching a flight, yesterday was manic. The string quartet at Heathrow was a nice touch. But by the time I got to bed last night, I was far too tired to blog. And today's post has depended on a very erratic internet connection. But you know, all's well that ends well.

And now I'm back in Ireland until the 6th January. With pretty much nothing happening. Fortunately, the telly is decent - especially with the torrential rain. Next scheduled event is on the 7th, when I'm back with Let's Do London - for less!, who are headed to the opera version of Eugene Onegin, at the Opera House. Last performance, apparently.. and do you know, the first week of last January, I was also at the Opera House - for a ballet version of the same story! Fancy that. And I've also booked for the comedian, Stewart Lee, in the Leicester Square Theatre on the 8th. Anyway, I'll be working from home on the 7th and 8th, which will be handy for getting organised.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all! Talk soon..

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete