Thursday 3 December 2015

Concert: Namlo Band

Bravely, I opted to go to Sands Film Studios last night.. well, this hasn't worked out so well for me before! The first time I decided to go, I concluded that it was too complicated. The second time, the weather was bad, it was a long way, and I was cosy and contented, having had dinner. So I stayed in. But the World Music Meetup was headed there last night, to see a Nepalese band called Namlo, who sounded good on YouTube: so I bit the bullet and booked.

Logistically, there was a bit of planning to be done. The fastest way there was by Tube to Canada Water, and Google Maps provided me with a handy map. Mind you, their suggested walking route wasn't shown completely on Streetview, and as best I could figure out, I'd have had to climb a wall! Instead, I decided to go via Surrey Quays - this took a little bit of orientation, as I've never been to this station before. For a start, I came out the wrong entrance, and had to cross the road to get to where I'd seen on Streetview. (A lot of water just here.. well, the name is appropriate, then!) Then I took a right, passing the cylindrical bit of the station, and continued to the end of the reddish buildings, where I turned left on Needleman Street (at least the signposting is good!), and the first left onto Dominion Drive. Steps at the end of the road lead down to Swan Road, which I followed to the end.

It's actually a very nice area - and last night, was very musical; everywhere I turned, I could hear opera! (not really sure where it was coming from). Mind you, the walk was tiring - Rotherhithe, where I was headed, is easier to get back to the new flat from, so I spent last night there, which meant bringing another bag of things, which I hadn't had time to drop off. Anyway, at the end of the road, I turned left on Rotherhithe Street, which runs next to the river and is full of warehouses that were converted to flats. Finally turning left on St. Marychurch Street (beside a church, appropriately!), I came to the film studios on the next corner.

I'm glad I was a bit early, because I was mightily confused! Looking in, all I could see was a cafe. I had a mooch around the other side, but couldn't see another entrance, so I headed in. No sign of a music venue, or a ticket desk. Or anyone official. I finally headed through the door on the left - and that's when the fun started. I am so sad my phone was dead and I couldn't take pictures - this place is AMAZING! It reminded me exactly of any number of children's books, where they end up exploring some massive, labyrinthine house, with nooks and crannies, rooms full of arcane books, and magical potions hidden under cobwebs in the corner.

There was a sign on the door I'd just passed through, which I didn't notice until I came back through from the other side - this was the library. Apparently, it's open to the public too. Anyway, thing is, they make film and tv costumes here - productions they've costumed include the tv production of Wolf Hall, and the latest version of Far from the Madding Crowd. And the first room you come into is the sewing room.. great long tables, with stacks of dusty files at either end: reference material, for the costumes. A sign at the other end points to the cinema - which is also where they sometimes run music gigs. And just before you get to it, peek to the right - rows of clothes rails house actual costumes, way down the back (the place is huge). Posters dotted about advertise the famous productions they've been part of.

Back on my trail, the sign for the cinema leads you through a little door, into a dark and mysterious library, stacks of books stretching off into the corners. They're all old, and include folders full of historical costume reference material. And here I finally met someone in charge, who pointed me through the door on my left, where there was, indeed, a ticket desk, where she checked my name off the list and pointed me in the direction of the cinema.

Entrance is via a red velvet curtain. Of course. And the cinema is quite unique - red velvet upholsters the walls, the lighting sconces are beaded and ornate, there's a sparkly blue curtain behind the stage area, and the seating is a hotch-potch of sofas, armchairs, other chairs, and upholstered benches along the walls. All pretty comfortable, I'd wager. I took a chair near the front.

The lead singer turned out to be the man with the crutches I'd noticed in the cafe - I think he has false legs. There were six band members in all, whom we were gradually introduced to over the course of the evening. Actually, my heart sank when I saw them all troop on - this set-up of lots of performers on stage didn't work too well for me the last time it happened, where there were far too many people, and the music was catered to give each of them a solo piece. I needn't have worried - each of the performers last night had a specific role to fill.

The lead singer seems to be the creative hub of the group, which includes a couple of other Nepalese - one on drums, one on guitar (who's apparently the sound engineer). There's a Belgian / Congolese drummer, who's really excellent, a beautifully soft-voiced Nepalese singer, and a couple of Brits - a Welshman on double bass, which as he said isn't usually used in Nepalese music, but he thinks it works really well: and a flautist from London.

The music was beautifully soothing, and as the lights were turned down - and I hadn't got much sleep the night before - I was in grave danger of dropping off. I did manage to stay awake - just. I think, from what the lead singer / guitarist was saying, that the band are relatively inexperienced, and his mission was to promote Nepalese music in general, and contribute towards disaster relief there. So, if you come across them, do go see them - but not as a charity gesture; go because the music is beautiful, and well played by this ensemble. I was delighted, both with venue and with music. Despite not meeting up with any of my group - well, I didn't recognise anyone, and I was fine on my own.

Coming back, I got the Overground from Rotherhithe Station - walking route also researched on Streetview. I couldn't see where the first train southbound was headed, so just jumped on rather than miss it - which meant I got on the wrong one and had to change (there are several branches). But all was well, and it took me just half an hour to get back to Clapham Junction. After my experience the night before - and wanting something simple to eat, something that didn't require cutlery - of which there's very little in my new flat - I traipsed along the station corridor until I came to a place that hadn't closed yet (it was getting late). Found a place on the verge of closing, where I got some of the last hot food, which I ate on the way home (yum). And although there was less faff than the night before, it was still too late to blog.

Tonight is also something I saw advertised on Meetup - although not on one of my groups. But that doesn't stop me going - I'm headed to Christian Aid's 70th Anniversary Carol Service, in St. Luke's Church, Chelsea. Apparently Charles Dickens (and Robert Baden-Powell's parents) were married there. The only carol service I have booked, so far.. So, back to my old flat, which is handier for it. Then it's back to Ireland tomorrow for the weekend. On Monday and Tuesday, I've got cheap tickets for a couple of events - on Monday, I'm off to Contactless, a song cycle about travelling on the Tube. Seems like it might be one I'll be staying at the new place again for, as it's in SW12. And on Tuesday, I'm off to another classical concert, at Wigmore Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment