Monday 14 December 2015

Concert: The Marian Consort

For tonight, I didn't see much that appealed on Meetup.. but I did come across the Spitalfields Music Festival. And when I saw what was on tonight - I booked it immediately. The Marian Consort is an early music choral ensemble, and they were performing sacred Christmas songs from the 15th and 16th centuries. Hubba..

It was in Shoreditch, so handier for my new flat. I went straight from work though - Tube, then a bus. As with any combo journey, I had several options - Google Maps presented me with two that involved getting off the Tube at Cannon Street, and two that meant I needed to get off at the next stop, Monument. I figured the longer Tube journey was the better bet, what with traffic. The Monument option then presented me with two bus choices, leaving from the same stop - as ever, the wise thing to do is to take whichever comes first.

So, I headed for the nearest station - West Kensington, frustrating as ever in not having an indicator board on the platform. Just as I was getting antsy - particularly with all the bags I was carrying - one arrived, and I crammed on. It got particularly crowded at South Kensington, but I finally got a seat at Victoria, where there's always a large changeover of passengers.

Exiting at Monument, I took the time to check the map at the door, which showed bus stops - I'd forgotten to check earlier. I also, wisely, checked where I was coming out - I had a vague idea of turning right and heading towards the river, but had I done that at this exit (Fish Street Hill), I'd have gone under the road I wanted. Instead, I needed to go up and around the corner, to King William Street, then cross and head down to the bus stop.

Relieved to drop my bags there, I just nicely had time to check the map before any bus came that I could use, and discovered that there weren't just two buses I could take - there were four! Google Maps had told me about the 35 and the 48 - when I saw a 149 approaching, I checked and, sure enough, it went right past Shoreditch Church, which was my destination!

It was horribly crowded. I managed to squeeze on, and ended up right beside the luggage rack at the front, where I put my things. But it was pretty uncomfortable, and it was a real relief to get off, just down the road from the church. And it was nice not to have to rush, as I strolled up to the box office and got my ticket. I went straight in.

For some reason, I thought I was booking a seat at the front - it was at the back, but no matter. The view was partially obscured by a column, but I knew that in advance and paid less because of it. The pews were comfortably accoutred with long cushions, and there was plenty of room for my bags under the seats. No point in taking pictures, really - it's very run-down, all peeling plaster. Fairy lights were draped along the galleries, for the season that's in it.

I don't think anyone was sat upstairs, but the lower level was reasonably full. And oh my, but it was worth the journey to hear such incredible music. It continually astounds me that London regularly produces world-class entertainment in very humble establishments. It was glorious.. Victoria, Mouton, Morales, Guerrero, finishing with Stabile. Music soared past the peeling paint, and we were transported. Never mind that it finished half an hour later than advertised - I don't think they were counting the interval.

Collectors on the way out held buckets for us to give to the festival, which aims to bring music to the disadvantaged. And outside, the rain was drizzling down, for my walk to the Overground station - handier for getting back, a straight run to Clapham Junction. A long flight of stairs up to the platform, and a long journey back - and for the third time in a row, I noted officials on the train; I think they're much more visible on this route.

At the new flat, I didn't have anything to hand to eat, and it was getting late - I decided to hit Dallas Chicken and Ribs again, just for chips - I suspect everything else there is too spicy for me. Took him a while to fry me some fresh - they didn't have much custom, on a rainy Monday night. And I had to explain a few times that that was all I wanted. And very much appreciated they were!

Tomorrow, I'm meant to be off to the London International Horse Show - if they get my ticket to me in time! It was only posted on Saturday, to my old flat - I'll be swinging by there in the morning anyway, I can check. And on Wednesday, I'm off to Laugh Train Home, in the Four Thieves, Battersea. So, back here again..

No comments:

Post a Comment