Saturday 14 November 2015

St. Martin's Church Concert by Candlelight & Free Entry to St. Paul's Cathedral

Hello, faithful readers! (In a nod to Stephen King.) Yes, last night I was back in action - hang the flat-hunting, I was having a night to myself, and the Man with a Hat had something interesting on. Another Concertante concert in St. Martin-in-the-Fields, to be precise. Interestingly, he had three ticket bands.. and the cheapest wasn't with Let's Do London - for Less!, it was with London for Less Than a Tenner. Someone once called that "The Tyranny of Choice". This "Less Than a Tenner" group is his too - so I finally joined, and booked one of those. It'd mean a gallery seat, but I've sat there before and it's just fine.

I see the Christmas lights are on in the Strand.. sorry, my phone battery was out, as usual, so no photos of last night. I got there in time to catch him before he gave the tickets back to the box office, and then fecked off, as he was typically busy. This is what comes from running a ticket distribution empire.. I was quite confused as to my entrance door. It's literally years since I've been in the gallery, here. So I asked an usher, and was told to head back to the other entrance - the right-hand one, as you face the church. Seems they only filled up one side of the gallery. Well, I had an unreserved seat, which meant I could sit anywhere but the front row. So I plonked myself in a corner, so I could have back support if I wanted to turn sideways. I was told that cushions and programmes were only available downstairs, but who needs a cushion? I'm a veteran of the Globe! Pah, no cushions required. As for programmes, the Man with the Headgear had provided.

Bach featured prominently. As the music started, and I concentrated on the wedding-cake ceiling (again, sorry, no photos), I reflected that I do prefer to meditate, if you will, on the music - when it's classical - and not being able to see the performers helps with that. So I didn't join those who kept hopping up to catch a glimpse.

I've seen Concertante a few times before, and to be honest, they recycle most of their jokes. Mind you, that doesn't make them any the less good..The Violin Concerto in A Minor was followed by Albinoni's Oboe concerto in D Minor, whose second movement was, for me, the highlight of the evening - absolutely sublime. More Bach to finish the first half, with the Concerto for Oboe & Violin.

During the interval, I could've moved - but didn't. Sat and read my paper instead. Was briefly interrupted by the Man with the Head Covering, who told me that afterwards we were headed somewhere posh, but affordable. Fine by me.. The second half was Mozart's Oboe Quartet in F Major, and Bach's Concerto for 2 Violins to finish. And you couldn't have had lovelier, in such a setting. Both halves, mind you, were ended in typical Concertante fashion, indulging their inexplicable obsession with Piazzolla. Can't say I share it, myself.

We gathered outside, in a shivering clump, waiting for everyone to appear before we headed off. Turned out we were headed to the Amba - the hotel attached to Charing Cross Station. And oh, it was good to get into the warm.. the bar turned out to be up the grand staircase, and festooned with chandeliers and plush red velvety seats. And you could order food! so I had a large wine and a warm chocolate fondant. And plenty of delicious, free, spicy peanuts. Indeed, the prices were not excessive, service could be had at the tables, and there was plenty of seating and no atrociously loud music to drown out conversation. An excellent choice for a Friday night in central London, actually, and I'd happily head there again. Well done, the man who suggested it..

As the night wore on, the crowd diminished one by one, and as the talk turned to economics (!) I fled. Great to be back with this group though. Roll on the next meeting. Typically after meetups with them, I was back pretty late, and then got distracted by the terrible news from Paris. Plus, I had a flat viewing at 12 today.. so no blog.

Today's viewing was productive - I now have a new flat! (Despite him showing up late.) Move date end of the month / first half of next month. Has green space outside, has a balcony, has more space inside.. a short walk to Clapham Junction.. after sorting that, I headed into town, in miserable weather. What disappointing weather for the Lord Mayor's Day! The fireworks were cancelled anyway, out of respect for Paris, but I headed into St. Paul's, on the only day in the year that you can go around it for free. And.. it's a cathedral. A big one, with lotsa tombs. Somehow, I missed Churchill's - ah well. Photos here.

I nominally went with Ken's Events - but well, I couldn't be bothered with the 230 of them, really. I wasn't ready at the appointed time - not that they probably kept to it anyway, knowing their timekeeping. And I wasn't pushed about joining them for dinner. Instead, afterwards, I headed down to Tower Bridge, which was to be lit up in the colours of the French flag - again, as a mark of respect. London Bridge, one down from it, provides a perfect viewpoint. It was indeed lit in the French colours - one at a time, for about five minutes each - which, unfortunately, meant you had to stand for about 10 minutes in the cold to see the full set. Photos at the above link.

On my way home, I passed a Pret, which had festive ads for a mint hot chocolate. Perfect for the bitter weather, and I went in and ordered one, figuring that a sit-down would be just the thing. And it was ok.. the cocoa powder scattered on top gave it an unpleasant texture, though. And so home, and ate at home. Rather glad I didn't have to hang around for fireworks.

An early night will be very welcome - I've booked for a coffee morning tomorrow (although I don't drink it) piano recital at the Elgar Room in the Royal Albert Hall. Includes tea/coffee and a pastry. (Must remember to get up for it.) This was an idea I got from the Kensington Classical Music Group. Not that I'm going with them, you understand.. they require you to book your own ticket with the venue, then pay them £1.50 for.. I'm not sure what. The privilege of sitting with them? So I'll be avoiding them - if I happen to recognise them.

And on Monday, I got a cheap ticket to Showstoppers: the Musical. I hear good things..!

No comments:

Post a Comment