Tuesday 17 November 2015

London Russian Ballet School

The London Russian Ballet School is, apparently, a school staffed by exclusively Russian teachers. And it seems they can't get so many people to go to their shows, given the ease of getting cheap tickets! ShowFilmFirst had a free ticket for it last week (yes, they give tickets away to things other than film - in fact, I can't remember the last time I got a film ticket from them), but I couldn't go because I was flat-hunting. However, I scored a cheap ticket for tonight - which had the advantage of being closer to home, in Wimbledon. A cheaper journey too, as I didn't have to go through Zone 1.

The Tube came pretty much as soon as I arrived, and I settled in for the journey to Wimbledon, the end of the line. I'd checked it out on Streetview first, but it's an easy journey -  left from the station, the New Wimbledon Theatre will be on your right, in the middle of a road junction. And apart from the gale-force wind, an easy journey it was - a signpost right outside the station directs you to the theatre, and a few minutes later, you see the red neon lights advertising the name. And I entered past the usual crowds of little girls that you see at ballet performances.

Another excellent seat - Row E in the stalls this time, five rows from the front. And pretty central. I hadn't been to this theatre before, and was intrigued, as I went in, to see the ad that ushers would bring whatever you wanted to your seat, for no extra charge; just choose from the menu - stashed in a slot at the back of various seats - and attract someone, give them the order, pay. They bring it right back. I was intrigued. I was to discover, of course, that the execution of this service is dependent on them noticing you in the first place - the guy I waved at just stared at me, oblivious. When a couple of ladies beside me placed an order with the more helpful-looking lady, however, I jumped at the chance, paying £5 for a small bottle of white. They had the better deal, I think, with the mojitos.. also £5 each! Orders come in a little paper bag. Great idea - I wish other places would follow suit..

I noted that the stalls were 2/3 full, with no-one in the upper levels, it seemed. The theatre has some spectacular features:



I didn't bother with a programme, but knew from the posters - and from peeking over the shoulder of the guy in front of me to see his programme - that the performance would be in two acts. The first act turned out to be quite traditional - and didn't they look lovely, all in their white tutus and sparkly, neat little tiaras? All in a row, looking just like the ballerina in a music box. It was a series of set pieces, and to be honest, it wore on a little, everyone getting their own solo. All the same, it was very sweet - they were very good (remember, they're just students), but there was the odd slip-up, and it was cute to see them shuffling  to get into the right position. I wasn't too impressed, however, at the amount of makeup plastered on the little girls - occupational hazard, of course.

The second act, however, was terrific! Based on Siberian folk tales - I believe - the choreography and costumes for this were more modern, and the dancers seemed more relaxed. And the effect was tremendous - worth the price of admission (even if I'd paid full price). Well done, them! And at an hour and 40 minutes - starting at 7.30 - most of my evening was still my own, and I got home nice and early. When I'd fought against the gale.

Tomorrow, I'm with the London European Club for a Hannah Scott gig - unfortunately, it's all the way over in Rotherhithe, but she does sound good. Then there are leaving drinks for another of our colleagues on Thursday, and on Friday I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. I fly back to London on Sunday, then do half a day's work and fly to Dublin on Monday afternoon.. it's a question of time off, you see; I've run out of leave! U2 play there the next two nights, which I expect to be the best venue of the tour..

No comments:

Post a Comment