Friday 6 November 2015

Concert: U2, SSE Hydro (#1)

After much organisation, the day finally arrived to head to Glasgow to see U2! I even got ready early enough that I had time for a decent breakfast. Took the Tube to Heathrow - much less crowded than at my usual time, of course. Made security with 10 minutes to spare, and headed to the gate.. where there was no hurry at all. Typical BA. Now, when I checked in for this flight, I was surprised to see there were three blocks of seats - it'd be the first time I'd flown on a plane like that since 2003, when I flew to Vancouver for a few months. They wanted to give me a window seat in Row 24 - I switched that for a middle seat in Row 4. Because that'd be much more comfortable if we had turbulence. And as I waited, interminably, for boarding to commence, I mused how airlines never rate that as a priority - I'm guessing they don't want to remind us that turbulence exists, and is something they can't do much about.

There was just one boarding announcement, saying that priority boarding passengers should board first. The screens, in contrast, said all passengers should board. So I did like everyone else, and joined the end of the queue. When I got on board, I was directed to the left - you know, I'd even forgotten that there are twice as many overhead compartments on these planes! It was a 767, out of interest. Well, I disturbed the businessman with the tattoos, and took my seat. In the middle.

Good job I brought my book - we were about an hour late taking off. Seems there was a tug that they couldn't detach from the front of the plane. And we were blocking other planes, so they said we'd reverse onto the stand. Except then we couldn't. I was relieved we took off at all! The flight itself was indeed pretty turbulent, even from my elevated position at the front of the cabin - but their free wine and snacks did much to improve the journey. Again, they advertised that they were collecting change for charity.. again, they did nothing to collect it. Oh, and good luck drawing their attention - there were no call bells.

Arriving at Glasgow airport, I had a long, long trek to the exit. Found the bus stop without difficulty - it was right outside, and I knew I needed the 500 Shuttle bus. There were a lot of people for it - there were also a lot of buses, queueing at the stop (or stance). I had my return ticket to show the driver, and was soon onboard - where he said something incomprehensible in Glaswegian, then asked me when I had booked it. Seems the price had increased. Hey, no' ma problem! So, you heard it here.. they're still charging the lower price on the website. Off you go..

It was a damp day - not actually raining, but had been. A huge grey cloud lowered over the city - with brilliant sunshine coming from where the sun managed to crack through, illuminating the sandstone. Quite lovely, really. The driver obligingly told those of us staying in the Hilton (and a list of other hotels) to get off at the first stop - which I already knew. Got my map out, but it's easy really - just head towards the river (which is downhill), and when you get to the quay, turn right and continue past two bridges. You'll find it.

An apparently friendly receptionist wasn't really engaged at all with what she was doing. I mean honestly - she was telling me that the restaurant would be busy tonight, and if I wanted it I'd need to book, "because U2 is playing across the road". Now, this was said to someone wearing a U2 t-shirt. I ask you. As if I needed to be told. As for my online check-in.. my designated room wasn't ready yet, despite me arriving an hour later than I'd said I would. This surprised her, because the system is supposed to notify them when a room needs to be ready. Anyway, she moved me to a higher floor, for which I was grateful - I hadn't realised it was on a busy road! I'm now on the 3rd floor, which seems decently quiet. And it's a comfy room.

I didn't bother with the restaurant in the end - just headed straight to the venue, figuring I'd find something to eat there. I can see it from my window, actually, but my phone battery was dead, so I left it charging in the room. And didn't take any photos. There's no direct pedestrian route to the venue, which is awkward - I, and the many walking along with me, ended up doing a lot of jay-walking, and tramping across muddy grass patches. Anyway, with the venue constantly in sight, we didn't get lost. As we approached, I saw a long queue snaking to the side, where a sign indicated that this was for people with standing tickets. Crikey, they were only letting them in now?! I was pretty early, but it was about 6:20..

I headed to the other door, where an usher expressed surprise when I said I needed Door A, as written on my ticket. She'd thought that was standing only - anyway, I got in, and saw two fast-food stands inside: a noodle place and a "Big Grill". Decided I'd rather the latter, and was gratified to see they also sold alcohol. So I had a chicken burger and a glass of wine. The wine came in a plastic container, with a sealed lid - she screwed a stem onto it before giving it to me. As for the food, we all had to wait in a second queue to the side, simply because it was taking so long to get ready. Mind you, it was worth it - the burger was absolutely delicious, coming as it did in a brioche bun with jalapeno mayo. I ate it standing at the bin, which was the only table available.. they were kind enough to provide cardboard trays to eat out of, but no napkins..

When I'd finished, I headed for the entrance door to the arena, and soon understood the usher's surprise. I was entering at one of the floor entrances! O my, wouldn't I have loved to be standing near the stage. Those tickets are like gold dust, though. Instead, I turned to the side, where another usher directed me up the steps of the seating - I was second row from the back of that block. But you know, it's a more intimate venue than the O2 in London - capacity of only 13,000, it seems - and it looks it. DO YOU KNOW.. that makes it the smallest venue where I've seen U2.. since 1989!! Omigod. And I was practically at floor level.

Two ladies arrived during People Have the Power - good timing, as I remarked. Their seats - further along my row - seemed to have been occupied already. So they just sat in the free seats beside me. When the occupants of those seats finally arrived, they just sat in the free seats in the row in front - an upgrade for them! Mind you, there were two free seats only because people were standing for a song. To his credit, the guy on the end spent the rest of the concert standing, to accommodate everyone. A most pragmatic solution, I think.

So, the band members were the biggest, relative to my seat, that I'll probably see them this tour. Setlist:

SET 1

SET 2

ENCORE

 
The girl who danced with Bono during Mysterious Ways was familiar to him - she hadn't been on stage before, but he'd seen her at several concerts. She was coy about saying exactly how many she'd been to though! Her name was Jackie, she was from Fife, and she did a sterling job of camerawork during Elevation. During Sweetest Thing, Bono tried the piano again - briefly - and told us that his wife once asked him whether the song was really hers. "Yes," he said, "it was written for you." "No," she replied, "are the publishing rights mine?" "What would you do with them?" Well, now the rights are hers, and she puts them to good use helping the Children of Chernobyl, with whose charity she's deeply involved.
 
Tonight was a special night - best yet of the tour. The sense of camaraderie was helped - for me - by the fact that all I could see was a sea of people, no division between seats and floor. The man in front of me turned around during Where the Streets Have No Name, just to say "awesome"! Quite. I was still singing when I got back to my room - that doesn't often happen. On the way, mind, I did stop off at the lobby to buy a soft drink - I was parched, as usual after a concert - and a small bottle of wine. Very practical system they have at the Hilton - buy whatever you want at reception, pop it in the (empty) fridge in your room. Saves them having to restock the minibar, saves you having to remember how much you're spending.
 
Oh, and my phone was charged:
 
 
(you can just see the SSE Hydro, behind "The Rotunda"). And the building you can see on the right is a hotel - turns out there are two closer than mine! Huh. Well, I'm still only five minutes' walk away..
 
As usual, I'm not having breakfast - I'd have to pay extra, and it's never worth it. Plus it means you have to get up early. The receptionist was surprised at my not wanting to do that.. instead, I'll head across the river for brunch, there are a number of restaurants over there.. And I have great expectations for tomorrow night, despite being seated much higher up.
 
Flying back to Ireland on Sunday, and to London on Tuesday..

No comments:

Post a Comment