Wednesday 4 November 2015

Concert: U2, O2 London (#6)

Ah, the very last U2 show in London this year! As Bono said, they rather like being the house band. But first, I had to go flat-viewing. I was worried about getting there for 6:30, given that I had to get a bus at least part of the way, and traffic is horrendous at that time - Google Maps suggested I take a bus all the way to Wandsworth, from where I could walk, but I've tried that before at this hour and been delayed for over an hour. Instead, I elected to take the Tube to East Putney - so at least I'd be south of the river - and a bus from there.

I thought the Tube would never leave Earl's Court, but I did arrive at last at East Putney. The bus stop was just across the road.. cue another interminable wait. The other bus to stop there is the 337, three of which came before mine finally appeared! (This would probably actually have done me just as well, but Google Maps didn't suggest it, and when you don't know a place..) Hey, at least it wasn't raining, and I arrived just after the appointed time.

..at the same time as another potential viewer. Well, the price was good, and apparently there's a lot of interest. Unfortunately, the flat - not so much. The stairs leading up to it were a mess. The hall light (when switched on from upstairs) goes off when you're halfway down. The room itself was fine, but with four other flatmates, the bathroom was pokey - and somewhat depressing - and the kitchen had an odd smell. As well as not having, potentially, enough fridge space. A pity, because the location and price are great, but well, as they say, don't go for the first place. I do have time, I'll hopefully find something decent - I am prepared to pay a lot more than this was going for.

A decently short walk got me to Clapham Junction, where I had a choice of several trains to Waterloo, to catch the Jubilee line to the O2 for the concert. Mercifully, it was after 7 by now, and the crowds had thinned out - I had no trouble getting a seat, and found myself among a bunch of Irish lads, also heading to the show. From my part of the country too, by the sound of it! At North Greenwich, a busker - different from the regular night-time one - was absolutely rocking the riff from New Year's Day..! He was so good, someone took a photo.

I was starving, and figured I'd have enough time for a quick bite at Water Margin, so hurried around there. I gave my drink order as I was sitting down, hurried off and got my usual at the buffet - just one main course, this time - and a dessert; they didn't have the chocolate fudge cake, sadly, so I just had chocolate and hazelnut puffs. By the time I paid and left, the restaurant was almost deserted - it was now about 8:10.

There was a bit of a queue at the entrance, but I was soon in and clambering down to my seat. In Row D, I was just one row away from the floor.. and an aisle seat again, lovely! And o my, so close to the floor, you really start to feel the energy - it felt as though I was on the floor. Just with a better view. And a seat. Mind you, it was a bit vexing, as People Have the Power blared out and I was all ready to rock, having a great clump of middle-aged people stood in the aisle beside me trying to figure out where their seats were. Thankfully, by the end of the song they'd fecked off to the next block. I mean, it's not rocket science - there's a row letter, there's a seat number.. Incidentally, the chap sat in front of me also jumped up for this song, and had the manners to turn and ask whether I minded! I remarked that I'd be surprised if he didn't stand..

Setlist:


SET 1

SET 2

ENCORE

 
The energy from the floor was a tangible force during the first four numbers - greatest energy I've felt yet, this tour. Strangely, the three seats beside me remained empty for the show, whatever happened to their planned occupants. There were also empty seats in the row in front - but then two girls hopped down to the front of the steps, and when instructed, by an usher, to move in, they shoved sideways in there. One of them had a camera with an excellent zoom, and it was interesting to see the shots she got of Bono. Speaking of ushers, it's nice to see the hands-off approach they've had in the O2, with the only other time they came down being to check whether the barrier at the front was holding, with people leaning on it!
 
Bono's wife was back for this show, as he informed us. During the paper drop, I was damn near close enough to grab one - but just not quite. I live in hope. I had to laugh during Mysterious Ways though, when, as is his wont, he pulled a girl from the audience to dance with. He chose a girl with tattoos all along her bare arms and shoulderblades, and bluey-green hair. Well, if he thought she'd be an outgoing type - he was wrong. She completely froze on stage! Whether it was stage fright, or the shock of being so close to Bono, I don't know. Her name was Danielle, but I didn't get where she was from. I have to say, her camerawork on Desire was excellent - she was so careful with it. Anyway, the next song was the little-played Party Girl. Bono is in the habit of spraying water on the audience - for this number, he got out a bottle of Champers. Shook it, sprayed it over them. Had a swig, then sought out Danielle in the audience and handed her the remainder of the bottle. Which I thought was nice.
 
Just before Where the Streets Have No Name started, I was graced with the presence of your typical Drunken Idiot, brandishing a beer. He installed himself in the free seats beside me, and tried to engage me - and others - in conversation. Couldn't understand a word he was slurring. I was more worried at the way he was waving his arms around. Not only was he blocking my view with his arms, but he was still holding the fairly full beer, and I was worried about getting splashed. Luckily, it was only the ground beside me that got soaked, before he clambered over the seats into the last free seat in the row in front - I think he then had visions of working his way around to the other side of the arena. To his credit, before he left, he did offer me a sip of what was left.
 
As usual for the final show in a city, they ended with Bad and 40, Bono shining a spotlight on the others as they left the stage. When it came time for him to follow them, he tried, as usual, to stand the spotlight on end, shining up to the rafters - took him a while though, whatever the matter was. Maybe they gave him one without a flat base! And thus ended their London run of 2015. No famous people on stage, but apparently Steve Lillywhite, Neil McCormick and his brother were in the audience. Roll on the next show..
 
The concert finished at about 10:55, and I was home - shock horror - before 12! First time that's happened since the first concert, which was on a Sunday, with an earlier finish time. Still too late to blog though, and I'm still a bit groggy today. Tonight, I'm headed to join the London European Club, who are meeting at the Fountains Abbey pub, before heading across the road to the Frontline Club for a discussion on the Dayton Agreement, 20 years on. Good job I booked, as suggested - it's sold out, now! As usual though, it'll be available on the Frontline channel on YouTube in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment