Thursday 8 October 2015

Play: People, Places, and Things

People, Places, and Things was the show for tonight, booked at some stage when I had a bit of time to look ahead. And a good job too, as it booked out some time ago. It's running at the National - more specifically, the Dorfman Theatre around the side, which is the only constituent theatre in the building that I've been late to because I just couldn't find it!

My luck was in this evening, as a train to town approached just as I was approaching the steps down to the platform! This train proceeded to crawl through the first few stops, stopping between them as well - just as well I was early. It sped up once we got to town, leaving me 15 minutes to get to the theatre.

Oh, but I'm out of practice at climbing the steps to that bridge - not even my exertions on Montjuic helped. Anyway, I wheezed my way across, and over to the National. The Dorfman's entrance is actually on the left hand side as you come from the river - not the main entrance. I panted my way inside, noting that it's been completely refurbished since I was here last, and, not seeing a box office, made my way to the bar. Where I collected my ticket just as the bell went for people to enter. Just in time then, and a 45-minute journey altogether. Do NOT believe the Tube signs that tell you how long it'll take to get to Embankment (where I alighted)..

As they say on the website, the seating in this theatre is completely configurable, to the extent that they don't publish seating plans, as the configuration changes for every show. I knew I was in the pit (floor level), and it turned out I was in the front row! (I booked so long ago, I'd forgotten.) Not only that, but I was right beside one of the ramps leading from the stage. Couldn't have been closer to the action unless I was a performer. Actually, there are two front rows, as it's (kind of) played in the round - with side walls. Curiously, while the stage was at about lap height for our row, I noticed that it was at chest height for the front row on the other side..

There's a warning, as you go in, about strobe lighting, and about complete blackouts. And these blackouts occur at the beginning of both the first and second half. Kudos to the actors for finding their way in the dark. Anyhoo, the name of the play is significant.. people, places, and things are the words that recovering addicts have to avoid - people, places, and things that encourage their addiction. Because this is a play about an actress (so you never quite know what part she's playing) who ends up in rehab, for drink and drug addiction.

Wow, so far, so depressing, right? Wrong! This is frequently hilarious, and the wittiest play I've seen in a while. She is not going down without a fight, and she rigorously opposes the somewhat straight-laced regime of the rehab clinic. Her hallucinations, as she goes through detox, are cleverly - and scarily - represented on stage. And the lead actor is incredible, her performance raw and believable. I think she had at least one friend in my row - she kept looking over there during the standing ovation at the end.

Brilliantly written, brilliantly acted. No wonder it sold out - and do see it if you get a chance! I see the London Dramatic Arts group saw it last weekend.. I'm in good company!

Well now, I'm past my bedtime, given that I'm back to Barcelona in the morning.. (whee!). Really, really looking forward to that, having done a decent amount in my one day at work this week.. Back for the last two U2 concerts in Spain this year, and expecting one helluva party.. and I have some walking ahead of me, eh? At least I'm flying with BA.. into Terminal 1, and back to Heathrow, T3. And you know what? I might splash out on a taxi to go to the concerts.. I'm capable of walking back down the hill.. the alternative is to head around the other side and take the funicular, and that sounds like too much effort, tomorrow at least.

On Monday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Storytelling Club, in the Soho Theatre again, for an interesting-sounding evening called The Heart of a Hero, apparently with an Egyptian storyteller. And on Tuesday, I'm back with the World Music Meetup, for Varlden's Band, in Rich Mix. Long time no see this group!

No comments:

Post a Comment