Thursday 22 October 2015

Opera: Carmen

Another night, another opera. Set in Seville. Attended with the Meetup group Let's Do London - for less! Hey, if it ain't broke..! All sounded great, so I booked it. They actually had two sets of tickets - one for the amphiteatre proper, one for the side slip seats. As I recall, they only had the slip seats left by the time I got around to it - but I've sat there before, and knew they're fine. So I happily booked; this time, it was Carmen, in the Royal Opera House.

Annoyingly, the show started at 7. I know they want to get finished in time for people to get home, but it does make it really hard for those of us travelling a distance to get there in time. I left work promptly, knowing I had to shop on the way. Quick pit-stop at home, and dashed onto the Tube. Our organiser had said he'd be at the box office till 6.50, and I knew it'd be tight, but I might just make it for then. Ran into a colleague waiting for the same train - chatting to him on the journey gave me something to do other than worry about how fast the train was going! Mind you, at least there were no stops "to regulate the service" this time.

He thought I should get off at Leicester Square, to avoid having to queue for a lift at Covent Garden, the next stop. Nonsense - the time I spent queuing for a lift would never be as long as the time to walk between the stops, although it's not far. And during that time queuing (only about a minute), I checked my watch and determined that I was unlikely to get there for 6.50. So I fired off a quick text to said organiser, to tell him to go ahead and leave my ticket at the box office. It didn't send immediately - what with me being 15 stories underground - but by the time I got a chance to check it, I saw it must've, because he'd replied to say he would.

Isn't it annoying how people keep getting in your way when you're trying to hurry? Anyway, I made it out of the station, and did my best on the cobblestones leading down to the piazza (my shoes weren't ideal for this purpose). More crowds at the entrance to the Opera House. When I finally made it through the door, it was just after 6.50. I scanned the wall opposite the box office, where the Man with the Hat had said he'd wait. Nobody, bummer. I made my way straight to the box office. The Man with the Hat was sorting tickets at the counter! Cool - I dashed up to him, announcing my presence, and as I reached him, he tore me off a ticket, and bade me go. Much like in a war film - "Go! Save yourself..!"

Now, he needn't have worried so much. I know the place well, and knew roughly how long it was gonna take to get where I was seated. I've also cut it quite fine, quite a few times here, and if there are still crowds of people making their way upwards, I know you're in no danger of being late. There are several sections, but they're all well signposted. So, first was to get to the amphitheatre - you can take the lift, but I find the stairs quicker in general, given the crowds. By stairs, next step is the escalator to the amphiteatre bar - then just follow the signs.

I was on the right (it says on the ticket), which meant I had to go right around. My seat was in the front row of the upper slips..








The bench seating was comfortable enough - and we had a fantastic view of the theatre as a whole! There's an advantage to sitting at the side, y'know. The view of the stage was slightly compromised, and we did miss whatever was happening to the very right of the stage: but there was hardly any of that. Now, at the interval, people in our group who had seats in the front row (Row A) of the amphiteatre complained that they had to lean forward to see properly, and people behind them were complaining that they couldn't see past them when they did that. We in the slips didn't have any of that, which might be due to the fact that the row behind us was so much higher than we were - our heads were at about the same level as their feet. And that might have been designed like that because people in the slips are expected to lean forward! Anyway, it worked out perfectly fine.

When the curtain was raised, another advantage of the slips became apparent - you're closer to the stage than anyone else but the stalls! Albeit with a side view. Leaning can be done at various different angles, what with this very handy filigree rail, that you can stick arms/feet/hands out of to support yourself, as well as leaning on the ledge proper.

And the show..? Is it a good measure of a production, when it reminds you why you loved the show so much in the first place? Firstly, I'd forgotten Carmen was so damn catchy! And for all the times I've seen it, I do not believe I've seen a better production. They praised the singing, when we met at the interval - they were right. The staging was spot-on, evocative of the heat of Seville. Yes, it is set in Seville guys - in fact, if you find yourself there, go on a sightseeing bus tour; they go past the cigarette factory, and make a point of the fact that it was mentioned in the opera. And I've been in the bullring too (not for a fight). But anyway.. speaking of the heat of Seville, that gives them full reign to stage a raunchy production. Lots of provocative costumes, lots of provocative moves, some splashing of water. Perfectly believable in the heat - it gets up to the high 40s there in summer. Even the colour of the sets, a reddish-orange, was reminiscent of the heat..

At the interval, I set off in search of the others - I don't know whether anyone from the group was seated near me, but I didn't get talking to those who were. Stopped off at the ice cream stall to buy dinner - and a very good chocolate ice cream it was. Noted the bin right beside - Coliseum, please take note! We'd arranged to meet on the balcony if it was fine, and it was - if a bit chilly. And we chatted, and praised the show, and they complained about Row A. And I ate my ice cream, and dumped it in the bin on my way back. And noted how you can actually reserve tables in the bar.. I hadn't known you could do that, but sure enough! I dunno, must be a bit weird, sat there right in the middle of the heaving crowd.

The second half, as someone remarked, was darker. But it had flamenco, so I was happy! Oh, and it had a horse.. the toreador rode in on a beautiful, black creature, all gaily adorned, and very placid. Later on, there was also a donkey. No expense spared at the Opera House! The horse made a second appearance, but as someone later remarked, neither four-legged extra came on to take their bows at the end. Sadly.

By the time the denouement came, I was truly impressed - and not to give the plot away, but this was an unusually believable and absorbing death scene, in my experience of operas. A standing ovation was well earned. Highly recommended! Runs on selected dates until the end of next month - booking heavily though, so hop to it if that's your intention.

Afterwards, we were to meet at the box office, to head to the pub. I'd normally have nipped out a side door, to avoid the crowds there, but found myself ploughing through them instead. (On a side note, I see they have separate queues for the cloakroom! I've never used it myself.) Met the Man with the Hat, met the group. And upon the decision to move across the road to The Globe, two of us made an advance party, with instructions to bag a table upstairs.

Many thanks to my companion for the tipple he bought me, and we took a table. Where we were approached by one of the staff, who informed us that we couldn't sit at such a large table if there were only two of us. We assured her that we were expecting more - and on cue, the Man with the Hat appeared. Swiftly followed by more. We ended up grabbing every chair in sight, and inhabiting the back corner of the room, vaguely gathered in the vicinity of a table.

Well, I had a great time! The place was overrun with Irish, interestingly - three of us in this group. And I got into a discussion about U2 - always ready, willing and able. Colin, you asked me about my favourite songs - if you're still reading this far down, they were Moment of Surrender (recorded) and Unknown Caller (live). Both off the last album, No Line on the Horizon. Particularly open to debate is my choice for best live song - you have experience it, though. My absolute best concert experience of the last tour was, of all places, in Sheffield.. and I remember having something of a transcendental experience with that song. Lasted right through the next day..

The evening progressed with three writers, of one form or another, huddled in the corner talking about blogs n stuff. And the Man without the Hat telling tales, some of which were taller than he.. An excellent night, but a late one. On my way home, I don't blame the lady who decided to sit, for the duration of her journey on the down escalator in Leicester Square station - it's a long way down, and I guess she was tired. (Had to go back through there - Covent Garden is still exit-only.) Surprisingly, for once, my mother didn't pre-empt my call by calling me first, even though I didn't get home till after midnight - she must be getting used to my late nights with this group!

Tonight, with - again - nothing on Meetup appealing, I managed a cheap ticket to a classical concert at the Southbank Centre - it's been a while. Must print off the programme.. tomorrow, unusually, I'm back to Ireland for the second weekend in a row - it's my mother's birthday. But I have to fly back early on Sunday.. because guess who's in town, and playing on Sunday and Monday? And of course, I'm going. And London will truly rock..

No comments:

Post a Comment