Friday 9 October 2015

Concert: U2, Palau Sant Jordi (#3)

Woo-hoo, back in Barcelona! I flew with BA today, which meant a slightly later flight and a later time to be there by - but the times were close enough that I just followed my previous schedule. Except this time, I knew exactly what I was doing, so it was that bit less stressful. I checked in online yesterday, and got a lovely window seat, near the front:


 
And had a gorgeous, cloudless view most of the way. And, being BA, free wine..
 
Landing was also easier, in T1, which looks far better stocked than T2. (Great, I'm flying out of there, too!) And this is where the bus terminus is, so I got a seat.. and I think I have been putting my travel card in the machine the wrong way, oops.. well, I won't be using the full value of it anyway, I daresay. Anyhoo, better informed now, I alighted at the stop after Placa Europa, and made my way to the hotel - same as before. I see they don't extend their breakfast times at weekends - well, it doesn't affect me, and anyway, they already allow till 11.
 
I wanted to do nothing more than crash for the afternoon - I did log on though, noting that the same login did me from my stay a couple of days ago; it lasts a week. I was peckish, so had a reasonably priced bar of chocolate from the minibar - they evidently don't check the expiry dates, it was clearly out of date. I don't mind that, but there are those that would - they should be more careful.
 
After a short nap, I headed down to the bar for a quick dinner, sharing the lift with fellow U2-goers; the hotel seems packed with them, this time. I ordered my usual croquettes - didn't feel like anything major, although it's not as oppressively hot as last time, and there's a nice cool breeze. And I ordered a glass of wine. Well, I thought they'd never come - they didn't bring the wine till after the food arrived, and I was still waiting for a knife and fork - I think they'd misplaced the napkins. Still, it came in time, and I ate it in time. They were quick enough to bring the bill, at least..
 
I'd toyed with the idea of ordering a taxi, but seeing the crowd of people outside, and the steady stream of people leaving for the concert, I figured, if I ordered one, someone would steal it! So, I just started out a bit earlier, determined to pace myself. I also had several Glacier Fruits on the climb, which did help - I knew exactly where I was going, and how long it would take to get there, so was more relaxed.
 
As I approached the entrance queue, I spotted a merchandising stand I hadn't seen before - and which included those elusive programmes, which I hadn't been able to see on Tuesday! Excellent, and I bought one. And spied a new Cedarwood Road t-shirt, which I must investigate tomorrow - I figured I was carrying enough. [SPOILER ALERT - Don't click the Cedarwood Road link if you are going to a U2 concert but haven't seen one yet this year; if you watch this video, you'll spoil some of the surprise.]
 
I was seated at the other side tonight, and towards the "back" - relative to the "i" stage. But I was to find that there's no such thing as being at the back, at these concerts - the room is too small for that, you don't miss anything, and the crowd was the most enthusiastic yet! Funnily enough, I felt more at home - I'm so used to seeing the band as dots at the other end of the venue, whereas I've been seated so close, so often on this tour. I'm spoiled, actually..
 
Setlist:
 

Set 1

Set 2

Encore

 
..with, of course, The Fly at the "intermission" between sets. [SPOILER ALERT - Again, don't watch the video if you are headed to a U2 show this year but haven't seen this set-up yet..]
 
Apparently, Mrs. Bono was in the house, as he pointed out before singing Song For Someone, written for her. The girl he pulled out of the crowd to film them during Elevation couldn't stop bouncing to the music, to the annoyance of certain online watchers on Meerkat.. Again, you could tell he was moved by the crowd's reaction tonight - he didn't give away any clothing; instead, he, em, crowsurfed during Volcano! (Always with a bouncer holding onto at least one foot, mind..)
 
Every Breaking Wave was dedicated to "Penelope and Javier".. Cruz & Bardem? It moved me to tears, and I wasn't the only one touched - the couple beside me weren't familiar with it, and asked me the name, and the woman in front of me, wrapped in a Mexican flag (there were a couple of those in the house) gave a little bow of homage at the end of it.
 
A terrific night. And I wasn't even completely exhausted when I got back! I only drank one of the bottles of water in the minibar - let's see whether it gets replaced.
 
I might head towards town tomorrow, if the weather stays cool. What's nice about the flight back, on Sunday - apart from it being BA, and from T1, is that it's to Heathrow! which makes it much easier to get home.
 
On Monday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Storytelling Club, in the Soho Theatre again, for an interesting-sounding evening called The Heart of a Hero, apparently with an Egyptian storyteller. And on Tuesday, I'm back with the World Music Meetup, for Varlden's Band, in Rich Mix. Long time no see this group!


No comments:

Post a Comment