Friday 23 October 2015

Concert: Soundscapes

With nothing interesting on Meetup last night, I hunted around and found cheap tickets to Soundscapes, at the Royal Festival Hall in the Southbank Centre. A programme that included Ravel and Wagner tempted me, and I booked - it's been a while.

I left in time, but not too early - so it phased me slightly when I arrived at Embankment to find the eastern walkway of the bridge, the one I take for the Southbank Centre, closed! Again, it's been a while since I needed it, and I'd forgotten they were doing work on it. Well, it didn't take me too long to nip under the bridge and find the stairway to the other walkway. It's a shame though - I love the view from the eastern walkway, looking towards the City and St. Paul's. I know the other side has the London Eye and the Palace of Westminster, with Big Ben - but it just isn't the same.

I had about five minutes to spare when I entered the building. An efficient usher directed me straight to a member of staff who didn't seem to have anything to do; I handed her my confirmation, and got my ticket. Now, this hall has entrances from two colour-coded sides: blue and green. Your ticket tells you which to go to. I was blue, which is to the left as you enter the building from the riverside. As I trotted over there, I thought - "Yippee, the singing lift!"

Regular readers will remember the singing lift. At the blue side of the Royal Festival Hall, there is a glass lift. And it sings. It's the coolest thing.. I did wonder whether it still sang, but I needn't have worried. As the lift rose, a voice sang with rising pitch, and as I arrived at my level, the lift sang out, "You have arrived at.. Level Four!" As my boss remarked upon hearing about this phenomenon - "Makes you wonder why they don't all do that.."

Handily, my entrance door was directly opposite the lift. And, as it turned out, I was second row from the front of the rear stalls - right near the door. Could hardly have been more convenient. I took my comfy seat and settled down with my printout of the webpage, so I could see what was on. Why, there wasn't even anyone in front of me - excellent seat.

Now, it so happens that the purpose of this concert was to promote a new work. The other pieces were fillers. I'm afraid to say, I found that new work frightfully weird. As indeed the Stravinsky piece - Fireworks - that they chose to play with it. Had these been the only pieces, I'd have left at the interval.

But no, the second half started with an extract from Tristan and Isolde, by Wagner, that exploded into the hall. The Prelude was spectacular - a piece of music that I've always loved, since hearing it on the soundtrack of Excalibur. They also played the Liebestod, with crashing instrumental music that quite drowned out the singer. Stirring stuff, as ever with Wagner.

After another piece of weirdness, we were back to more soaring music, with Daphnis et ChloƩ, Suite #2, by Ravel. I'd been drowsing a bit - too many late nights - but that certainly woke me up! Thanks folks - you always do find something to keep us entertained.

Some entertainment was also provided on the Tube home, by a mob of noisy young lads in evening dress. And I did actually get home quite early, but then got caught up with doing things related to flat-hunting, and didn't get around to blogging last night.

Back to Ireland this evening, for my mother's birthday tomorrow - must look for a card today! Well, it's been hectic.. Then I fly back at lunchtime on Sunday. Because, you know, U2 is playing at the O2 that night. And the next. And they're expecting me.. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment