Wednesday 7 October 2015

BCN T2C

Good job I did most of my packing last night - well, there wasn't much anyway - because I woke just after 11 today, and checkout was at 12. I made it down there by 11.40.. which isn't a record for me, but it has been quite a while since I exhibited such speed.

Intending to take the 46 back to the airport, I figured the stop would be across the road, roughly directly opposite where I got off on the opposite trip. And so it proved. And after a few minutes, the bus appeared. My ticket did its usual thing of making the machine flash red and give an angry beep, and the driver did the usual thing of ignoring it completely. So that's ok. And off we sailed to the airport - a much more comfortable journey than last time, given that I got a seat!

My boarding pass helpfully stated - quite clearly - that I was to depart from Terminal 2C this time, instead of 2B. And I knew the bus stopped there - in fact, the one I took to town on Monday had advertised it as a stop, although no-one had used it. So, when we pulled away from 2B, and the next stop was advertised as 2C, I pressed the stop button to get the driver to - you know - stop. Well, he didn't. Or at any of the next few stops - for which I was thankful, since they were right away from the terminal buildings, and it was typically hot! No, not until we got to Terminal 1 - the end of the line, where I gratefully hopped off.

The airport shuttle bus, which runs between terminals, had been in front of us, and I figured that was my best bet now. Where was the stop, though? After a couple of minutes, one passed me, and I followed it to the stop and hopped on. And off we sped, all the way back to 2B. Where everyone got off except me, and I gratefully took a seat - it had been too crowded before. And.. the driver said I had to get off! So the upshot is, NO, they don't go to 2C - I wasn't the only one walking from 2B to 2C, which took me about 15 minutes - not pleasant in the heat.

Barcelona, Terminal 2C has the distinction of being one of the s***tiest airport terminals I've had the displeasure of travelling though - even worse than Heathrow T5. I was through security fast enough - which was a shame, as there is virtually nothing there. There's one place to eat. There are vending machines for drinks. There are toilets - downstairs, with no lift. There is a small Duty Free shop, with little selection (and where they short-changed me, but I was too pissed-off to complain). There is a newsagent's, with a piddling souvenir corner. There is a boutique.

That's it. There is no bar. There are no facilities for children. I hadn't eaten yet, so headed to the one place I could get food, where I bought a sandwich and a drink, and thought the chocolate cake looked good, so had a slice of that too. They have this crazy system whereby you order at the till, then you have to feed your money into a machine on the other side of it, which gives you change. Took my brunch to the counter overlooking the runways - only budget airlines use this "terminal", mainly Easyjet. I soon discovered that the bread in my sandwich was stale, although the filling was good. And the outer edge of the cake was stale too. Funny then, that one of their slogans reads "As fresh as a smile"..

And there I sat for the afternoon - I'd arrived early for my flight, foolishly. They only give you half an hour's free WiFi. When they finally announced the gate number for my flight, I flew down there - where I discovered another eatery. But it was too late - we were already boarding. Well, theoretically - they had this daft system where they blocked our section of the queue off with tape, even when practically everyone else had boarded. Well, honestly, Easyjet staff have never seemed that bright, to me.

I was in the second row from the back, but the flight was ok, after a bumpy take-off. Thankfully, because I was seated beside a very nervous (and very vocal) flier. At the other end, thanks to someone pointing out to me that yes, I did have a chip in my passport, I tried out the automatic passport check for the first time - and it was easy! Kewl - that's a lot of queueing time saved. Speaking of which, whom did I see in the queue behind me but Dame Helen Mirren.. in a lovely outfit, I must say. I guess she was coming in for the London Film Festival.

My return home was much affected by, apparently, a broken-down train on the line, which delayed my train from Gatwick. So, just as well I hadn't booked to go to anything tonight - I wouldn't have made it. I'm headed to People, Places and Things at the National tomorrow. Good job I booked early - apparently they're completely sold out now. The London Dramatic Arts group is off there on Saturday, so we can compare notes! On Friday, I'm back to Barcelona for the last two U2 concerts in Spain this year.. and I have some walking ahead of me, eh? At least I'm flying with BA.. into Terminal 1, and back to Heathrow, T3. And you know what? I might splash out on a taxi to go to the concerts.. I'm capable of walking back down the hill..

On Monday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Storytelling Club, in the Soho Theatre again, for an interesting-sounding evening called The Heart of a Hero, apparently with an Egyptian storyteller. And on Tuesday, I'm back with the World Music Meetup, for Varlden's Band, in Rich Mix. Long time no see this group!

No comments:

Post a Comment