Sunday 6 September 2015

Restaurant: Nuala's

With my flight not leaving till evening, we had time to eat out, and headed to Teach uí Bhriain, as has become our habit on Sundays. Handily, there was a space in front, where we could park.. and that was when we noticed the name change! It's now Nuala's. And as you enter, a large stone plaque proclaims that it's been revamped, courtesy of Francis Brennan, who officially relaunched it last Monday.

The refurbishment now seems complete. I'd already noted the pale yellow paint, which brightens the interior - the reduction in clutter - the brighter upholstery - the new window frames - the removal of the booths in the restaurant, which opens up more space and makes the place lighter and brighter. To add to this, they have replaced the front door with one that includes a large glass panel - with the logo of Nuala's, which now appears everywhere: on the new window blinds, the menus, the bill heads. Good on them - everyone was remarking on the makeover, and may it do them well.

Today was a raucous one in Nuala's, with the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final showing on two screens in the bar - Galway ("The Tribesmen") vs Kilkenny ("The Cats"), and everyone there cheering for Galway. Well, it borders Clare, and in Tuamgraney you're not far from Galway. Galway were also the underdogs - Kilkenny always seems to win. I caught a bit of Up For the Match on television last night, and heard many Galway supporters dismissing the idea that it was an honour to be in the final. "No good to be there if not to win," was the general sentiment, and as the match got under way - it started shortly after we arrived - it became evident that the Galway players were giving it their all - it was a very even match.

Now, where I was sat was perfect to watch it, if I just leaned back and twisted to look to the left. So it became quite a distraction, during our late lunch. Well, I did just about manage to eat as well.. I ordered soup, which I've had here before and knew to be excellent, and - avoiding the dry panfried chicken - decided on the stuffed chicken in bacon. And at the last minute, remembered to order chips instead of their tasteless mash. My mother asked for, and got, the salmon, which is on the dinner menu rather than the lunch one, but now poached instead of baked.

The soup and brown bread were excellent. The stuffed chicken was definitely an improvement on the panfried one, although still a bit dry - and while the stuffing was delicious and the sauce very good, the bacon was dry and chewy. What the hey, it was decent, and my mother ate her salmon, despite probably wishing it were baked. Oh, and it seems someone finally remembered to flavour the mash.. Ice cream for dessert, and we were stuffed. Sadly, we had to leave before the end of the match (I later heard that Galway lost their vim in the second half, and the Cats - once again - got the cream).

And so back to London, for one day's work. On Tuesday, I'm off to Amsterdam, where U2 are playing that night and the next. (On Wednesday, news to be announced about gigs in Ireland, late November!) I fly back on Thursday, doubtless wanting nothing more than to sleep. On Friday, I'm off to see Much Ado About Nothing, at the Globe. (Now, that is worth dragging myself along to!) Lucky the proposed Tube strike was cancelled though, or it'd have been impossible. Anyway, I was too late to book with the Let's Do London - for less! Meetup group, who are going the same night: but I've arranged to meet them, to go to the pub after. For the show, I got a ticket in the "Gentlemen's Box"..

..and then the next day, I'm off to Amsterdam again, for two more U2 concerts (Saturday and Sunday). Now, to those who know me, this shouldn't be a surprise. I friggin' love this band, and Amsterdam is a great city to see them in! And yes, I got a good travel deal (Expedia), and you know, I've been to Amsterdam before, to see them, and seen pretty much enough of the place, so didn't want to stay the whole week. I fly back on Monday 14th, my U2-ing done.. for this month. ;-)

On the 15th, 16th, and 17th, I have Meetups.. For Tuesday 15th, I discovered there's a Hammersmith and Fulham Amnesty group, who that night have a talk entitled Undercover - the True Story of Britain's Secret Police. And I'm going. On Wednesday 16th, I'm (nominally) joining the London European Club, who are off to see John Doyle, at the Irish Centre. And on Thursday 17th, I'm (nominally) back with the Free London Events and Talks group, who are off to the Scoop, where they show free films in September. Weather-dependant. That day, it's Selma, which I haven't seen. And then it's back to Ireland yet again - I go every two weeks..

No comments:

Post a Comment